1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA Sports Ignite engine won't work on current PCs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 19 Jun 2013.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

@Bindibadgi, wasn't my post saying just that :eyebrow:
    That people don't read the min requirements and that its a financial decision,
    maybe i done it in more words than that, but that was what i was getting at :D

2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

So what they're saying is that people buying EA Sports games are dumber than those buying every other game they sell? The lions share of PCs cant run Crysis, BF3, BF4, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, probably SimCity, Need 4 Speed, CnC, Dead Space etc, yet they still have those on PC.

I'd rather they say they just cba putting it on PC, or if there's a valid reason, say that.

Gauging PC capability based on running LoL isn't a good idea, I know people running a 570 who have massive frame drops. Can't say about DoTA though.

3. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Just sounds like the first excuse of many to me for peddling badly ported across console games.

4. konstantine

konstantine What's a Dremel?

If it's coded to work on the upcoming consoles, then it should have no problems running on a PC. I think this is Microsoft desperately trying to push their failure of a console into the gaming market.

5. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

As has been said, the problem is that people just don't read that sort of thing any more. There seems to be a point of pride in the general public about not understanding computer terms like it makes them the 'cool' kids and not the nerds and geeks and that won't change unless the change is forced on them. Maybe if a few people brought back a game to the retailer and said that it won't run on their PC and were just told point blank that their PC is too old or too slow to run it and no they can't have a refund because they registered the game already they might learn a little life lesson.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea, they should read the min specs I agree! :p The 'affordable option' is simply a 360 or PS3! :naughty:

That's not the point. The point is they are saying most of their market's 'gaming PC' is below this spec, and the cost to change+test/size of market/time to market relevance is not worth the business for them.

7. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Hmmm, honestly wouldn't buy a sports game (exclude racing from that though) on PC, purely because I feel the main aim of them is as a 'party game'. I have owned a few of the FIFA games and playing them on my own is the most dull experience, have a few mates round and it's an awful lot of fun.

If EA had come out with "We're not going to release this on PC as there's a larger market for these games on console", I'd be fine, but please, don't give us a ******** and blanket message saying PC's won't run it.

8. konstantine

konstantine What's a Dremel?

That's obviously horse-sh*t. It's Microsoft trying to create more appeal for their upcoming console by have popular games made exclusive for their Xbone

9. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

What's this got to do with Microsoft?

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Let's read the quote again:

Some PCs could run it, the majority of the people that bought a previous title COULD NOT RUN IT. This is not a blanket comment on PC gaming.

Again I'll reiterate. Stop hating, start educating. These people clearly need HELP. When they get help, business' get better statistics and WE GET BETTER GAMES.

11. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Ahhh my bad, I read it incorrectly.

12. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

You have a 6gb 7970? I didnt know they existed? Or is it a typo?

13. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I'll be interested to see how pc's run the next gen of games.

Even though the textures/lighting was tweaked a bit higher for the pc version we have just been playing 360/ps3 games.

With this more powerful hardware they can imagine much bigger better games, I think it's a waste of time comparing specs the old hardware of the ps3 can still turn out a game like 'The last of us'.

I could be totally wrong but feel those with 3 monitors will be putting 2 on ebay, lol.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I don't get it, EA published Crysis and that was way ahead of its time, and it was a success. I don't see why they couldn't do the same with FIFA, especially considering the consoles use x86 hardware so it shouldn't take too much effort to do PC optimizations. But whatever, if they're really that lazy to put that extra effort then that just gives me 1 more reason to not buy their products.

15. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Agreed! Well put. I disagree entirely with Bindibadgi about this being a 'sensible' decision. I just think EA are lazy and cba and screwing PC gamers as usual. Yes, I understand that the target market has very few PCs that can run the game. Yes, I also know of many people I know irl who think they can Crysis 3 on a £200 PC they bought 3 years ago. However, the point is simple. Why did they release these games on PC? When Crysis 1 first was released how many PC could run it at max settings? But, HOW successful was Crysis 1? It was a major breakthrough. Same thing could be said of Farcry, but different publisher so meh.

New games drive innovation and drive the ever changing PC market. (BTW, I agree most people who'd play Crysis 3 would be people like us or at least people who have an interest in getting a decently capable PC, so its not an entirely fair comparison). In all however, this is quite silly. They just cba to do it at the moment, and once they feel they get time/money (key word milk) after its been on the consoles, they'll then transfer it across the PC to get hold of the last few sales (as they state in their intentions). I just think they know this game isn't going to be a big hit major title, and so they are just maximising profits. instead of 'wasting effort' on the PC.....

EDIT: I think some of the problem is that its a 'football sports' game. Graphics aren't really 'meant' to be a big thing in such games unlike in FPS. So its not regarded as a 'high demand game'. You're supposed to play 'football' with a good controller and have a nice game mechanic. The game isn't 'meant' to be graphically demanding like other games, and so people just assume 'it should work'. This issue is hardly made a big factor in advertising unlike the up and coming FPS/multiplayer games. This prolly explains why so many people who bought the game couldn't run it....

Last edited: 19 Jun 2013
  16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

As was said before. The majority of people don't have machines like us enthusiasts.

The majority of people buy a prebuilt rig or laptop for some €500 (something like this HP Pavilion P6-2425EG) and use it for 5 years until they buy a new one, just like they would buy a console for €400 and use it for these 5 years.
    Funnily enough they spend some €200-500 every other year for a new smartphone at the same time.

On another note. The power of the PS4 is comparable to a current €1000-rig. 2GHz 8 core Jaguar paired with a 7850ish GPU and 8GB GDDR5 doesn't sound like it, but you need to take into equasion, that you can code to the metal on consoles, optimizing heavily for the unified hardware.
    The PS4 will be more powerful for gaming then the rig in my sig I'm afraid to tell you, and my rig did cost allready more money then the majority of people are willing to spend on a PC.

Objectivity is what is lacking in forums like this, and the reason why people in here don't understand stuff like consoles or Apple. 90% of the consumers don't inform themselves about hardware-specs and all that, but they expect things to work out-of-the-box and like shown in the advertisings. Apple never shows any hardware-specs in their advertisings for a reason, but only the capabilities of their products.

If a new game is advertised for, then usually there's nothing said about hardware-specs either, so people think that it'll work with their three year old €500 PC. The majority don't use forums to inform themselves about minimum requirements, as that's something that's not required for a console either.

EA can be bashed for alot of things, but in this case their analysis of the market is actually pretty much spot on.

17. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

By definition don't all players have computers that can run it? Otherwise they wouldn't be players... (Pedantic I know)

So EA, the company with a digital store can't implement a "can I run it?" test, or heck just scan the PC before the purchase. It would be possibly the best excuse to make Fifa a DD origin exclusive.

Maybe there just isn't a large enough market and they don't want to say.

18. loftie

loftie Multimodder

The great thing about having a game on the PC is Settings. Take a game that your PC can't play at it's greatest, and lower the settings. Sure things look worse, but you start sliding towards playability.

Crysis wasn't released on a console, it was released on PCs even though pretty much no-one could run it at it's highest. Hell, my PC now won't run it on max. Will it run it? You bet it can, just not on max.

As I said in my previous posts, EA has loads of games that will not run on the vast majority of PCs. We are the minority having machines with gaming grade gear, and as you yourself pointed out, most people who want to get into PC gaming will go out, buy generic £500 PC with a subpar GFX card and think that it should be able to play games. But saying that when EA consider their sports games, too many people don't have a good enough PC to run them so they won't make it for PC, but then when they consider BF4, suddenly there are enough people out there with PCs to run their games.

So surely either

They're lying
    Their new engine is so demanding that it makes BF4 look easy to run
    They're too lazy to make it run
    They plan on exiting the PC market altogether because there aren't enough PCs to run their
    games

Personally I think they don't sell many EA Sports games on PC, because they tend to work better with a controller as SirFur said, so sell better on a console.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2013
  19. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

You can use a controller on a PC. I've been using controllers for years, mainly for emulated console games. I am more inclined to agree that the many sports games are more fun to play against another person rather than an AI. In that respect at least, I can see why EA would concentrate on the consoles instead of PCs for sports titles. No lag worries either if your both playing on the same physical console. It's easier to talk crap to each other too when you are in the same room, no need for online connection (unless you're playing X-Bone) or headsets.

As for EA spending less time on making PC games, I could care less. I think I've only bought two EA games in the last five years. BF3 is nice looking and fun to play, but there are other non-EA titles out there to fill the gap. This might even encourage more alternatives if EA does truly abandon the PC market. At least maybe now they'll stop gobbling up other PC developers and axing their staff.

20. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

First they tried to stop supporting Steam. Now they're un-supporting PC's?

Tags: Add Tags