1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD to launch ARM processor, Seattle, in 2014

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 19 Jun 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. konstantine

konstantine What's a Dremel?

AMD is going down hell. The company has lost it's sight and it's Flopping around with no visible direction to follow.

3. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

they are concentrating on apus(and getting them into both home and servers) as well as working on their development of arm which has been on the way for a loooooooonggg time. the apu for one is their one shot at greatness... anyone who has one has never made a real complaint about what they bought. that coupled with increased support for the gpu/apu crossfire. that's not flopping around, it's a solid game plan for low-mid gaming/home/media pcs, and from what i've heard the jaguar servers wont disappoint on price to performance.

anyway right now is one of the few times i actually LIKE the direction they are heading...

4. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

What the hell is an ARM cpu going to do with 128GB of ram? Next thing you know the Z80 will have support for 1GB of ram. I'm still waiting for a reason to use ARM over x86 on a server.

5. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

They have been pushing their APU's which seems to be working seeings as both the XBOX1 and PS4 have AMD APU's in them....

6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

There are some applications where you care more about memory and I/O performance than CPU power, so buying a slower (but smaller, cheaper and lower power) core makes sense.

7. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I was going to say the same exact thing. At work, we are using a cluster of 34000 CPU (and this is for a single purpose, we have several other clusters), was we care about is the efficiency (we replaced the ultra SPARKs with Opterons only because of the power consuption), the ability to cope with huge data (so lot of RAM) and being able to run a lot of process simultanously (so lot of cores). The core speed is not the most important thing :p

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

ARM is ideal for home servers, since you want something that is low power and doesn't produce a lot of noise. I suppose it's also good for mainframe servers, where number of threads matters more than pipeline length. ARM is also good in servers because:
    * Physically small and light weight
    ----- You can cram more processors into the same board or chassis
    ----- Reduced costs of shipping
    * ARM platforms are generally cheaper
    * ARM performs best on Linux, which a massive % of servers use
    * Less power consuming and generally better power management than x86
    ----- Less heat
    ----- Less noise
    ----- Lower power bills
    ----- Cheaper and easier to maintain emergency UPSs
    ----- Longer lifespan
    ----- Lesser need of equipment and parts to keep the processors cool

9. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

should be interesting to see what comes of HSA, GPGPU needs a boost...

Tags: Add Tags