1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases What SSI-EEB case?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coolamasta, 25 Apr 2013.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Hi Fella's,

I'm after a decent-ish looking, small as possible footprint case that will take a SSI-EEB motherboard for as cheap as possible haha.

Its to house an Asus Z9PE-W8 with a pair of large air coolers.

Any suggestions? :)

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Corsair 900d looks like it might, at a push

Failing that you're looking at something like a Silverstone TJ11 or one of the big Lian-Li's

3. coolamasta

Cheers mate but 900D is a £300 case :eeek:

This is why this is a bit of a challenge and I need help, a case that can take this EEB board with a small footprint and small price is hard lol.

I'm talking sub £100 if I can help it, there will be something out there, even if I have to mod a little bit to take the bigger board.

For example I managed to get one of the EEB boards in an Antec 300 by removing all the 5.25" and 3.5" drive bays and putting is a couple of extra M/B stand-offs haha but that was a bit extreme :p

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Those are the only ones that came to mind that might fit a 2p without modification [which is what I thought you were after...]

if you're not averse to some creativity with a dremel it should fit in most standard ATX cases, but you would lose any cable routing holes and most if not all the drive bays the case had...

Last edited: 26 Apr 2013
  5. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

I am sick of looking at this, so you can have it for postage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Included is the 6 slot HDD hot-swap bay, box with hot-swap fans (and a bunch of other stuff) and the PSU (700W with loooong cables).

It is quite heavy though. More info on request.

Edit: DVD drive is of no use to me, so that is included as well.

6. coolamasta

Oooo that's a great offer mate, do you know if it definitely accepts SSI-EEB form factor motherboards though? And do you have the dimensions of it so I can check whether I have the depth to put it lol :)

7. bigkingfun

From the sticker on the bottom I can see it is a Intel SC5300 BASE.
    A google seach gives me this: http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/chassis/sc5300/sb/sc5300_tps_rev131.pdf
    and that document gives me this:
    Height 17 inches (43.2 cm)
    Width 8.6 inches (21.8 cm)
    Depth 27.9 inches (70.9 cm)
    Weight 34.6 kg
    More info here: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/category/server/sc5300/doc_guide

I am sure it will take your SSI-EEB board, but I cannot find it in official writing.
    This site does say "Max Mainboard Size SSI EEB 3.5" though.

Edit: 35 kg must be wrong. I have no weight here, but I am positive it is lighter.

8. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

That case is damn sexy, if coola doesn't want it... ;)

9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Yes, that's a proper SSI-EEB case. And a DAMN good one. I'd want it if I didn't have server stuff to my arse already. My wife wants me to fix it all up and get it running, or I'd be begging her for a loan.

10. coolamasta

Awesome thanks mate, and thanks to KayinBlack as well for confirming its EEB, soooo how much do you think this bad boy will cost to ship to the UK bud? :D

11. bigkingfun

The Danish post service refuses to take anything over 20kg.
    All the others (Fedex, DHL etc.) require your address to give me an estimate. Please PM me your details.

12. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Otherwise you might want to check out the Norco rack mount cases. The aesthetics might not work for you, but otherwise they are great cases that cost much less than chassis from Intel or Supermicro, etc. The RPC-450 would be a fairly compact case with room for plenty of expansion and most standard cooling solutions. I am not sure where you would get them over there, they are available from Newegg over here.

A few pointers on them:
    • If you are going to be in the same room, buy new fans, the included ones are 4 pin molex and thus run at full speed all of the time.
    • If you buy a larger chassis with a midplane for fans, buy the upgraded 3x120mm midplane rather than the 4x80mm, lower fan speeds and thus lower noise and more airflow.
    • The chassis will only fit 92mm coolers, either buy a dedicated Xeon LGA2011 cooler designed for server chassis or see my experience in this thread where I installed a Thermaltake 92mm cooler on an ASUS Z9PE-D16 in a Norco RPC-4224.

Just some forewarning about that Intel server chassis. The motherboard plugs are fused and do not line up with the ASUS header, so you will need to come up with a solution to adapt the power switch, LEDs, reset switch, etc. I had this issue with a Z8PE-D12 and an SC5299BRP. Otherwise, they are great chassis, they just tend to work best with Intel boards.

Norco also has even smaller options if you still have the option to go with a 2U or 1U heatsink for the CPUs.

13. bigkingfun

This is true. I had forgotten about that.

14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Rewiring with the help of a donor case isn't too difficult. That case is way too good to pass up for that issue.

15. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

If I recall it's actually a total pain. I can't remember exactly why, pins not being where you'd expect them to be on the header on the PCB hosting the LEDs etc or difficult to access without dismantling the case or something like that. All I can remember is that I gave up and ordered a different case about halfway through (which cost me about $400, that case was not cheap).

Also, that motherboard, Z8PE-D12, was really picky about RAM. It had to be within a specific voltage range and have specific ranking, even with only 6 DIMMs installed. Ended up spending the extra money to go with memory on the QVL. Tylersburg was finnicky.

Still though, totally worth the headache for a server case for the cost of shipping.

16. bigkingfun

coolamasta can you make some noise if you want the case or not? I am almost done with exams and I would like to get it sorted before the summer holidays.

17. coolamasta

Really sorry mate totally forgot about this, I'm in one of those positions that it would be cool to have to mess about with but the shipping costs are crazy really, for a tiny bit more I could buy a new 4U rack-mount case that takes EEB boards with hop-swap bays etc :(

Are there definitely no other companies that could do it cheaper?

18. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

19. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

If it's an EATX sized board how about the Nanoxia Deep Silence 2?

They're retailing around the 70 quid mark

20. bigkingfun

As mentioned in PM i found the cheapest shipping to be ~90 GBP.
    Here you get 6 hot-swap HDD bays and 2 hot-swap fans :D

Let me know if I should should do a giveaway instead.