1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink 30,000 Calorie Sandwich

Discussion in 'General' started by Dude111, 20 Jun 2013.

1. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

Yeah I've got the book by the same guy Dr Mosley (?). I think from interpretation throughout the book it probably does have some bearing, considering the 48 hour fast has the most benefit for the repair mode switch and lowering IGF-1 levels.

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

http://www.leangains.com/

Learn from the real professional, not the guys who figured out how to make money from something done years ago. :)

3. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

I'm on an IF system

IF I see food, I eat it :D

4. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

They are poor at making the money then, as the BBC subsidised book was £3.98 on Amazon. :lol:

5. Phalanx

Perhaps so, but at least it's not based on a short-term research fund for the issue. That Panorama/Horizons thing they did for it was a joke.

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Hmmm. I tend not to take advice about health and my body from people who dedicate a large portion of their lives to gaining an abnormal amount of muscle. It's one of the most pointless aspects of modern society and you just look like a penis. Which is funny as you're more than likely going to be compensating for having a small one.

7. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

Have you read the book by Dr Mosley as well? It goes into a lot more depth and covers the scientific research far more thoroughly with much more balanced overview. I wouldn't agree that it's short term research, it's more a developing study of the body and it's mechanisms when given limited calories.

I would say overall you need to look at it objectively from your own situation. I'm far more likely to take on board the research and findings by multiple Professors at various institutions than a blog.

After all the main benefit is at the polar opposite of gaining muscle.

8. Phalanx

That amount of muscle isn't abnormal. It's normal. It's just that most people have subnormal amounts of muscle in the first place. He has simply stripped away the bodyfat that covers it. Abnormal would be bodybuilders in the hypertrophy category rather than lean muscle.

I have read their work. Kind of have to as part of my job. Nice to see someone else who has done their research though. :) Mosley's work is good, but can be subjective in places, and pretty situational.

As for the "blog" part, whilst I can understand some people are taken on by the fact that the advice comes from professors, don't throw blogs out of the window. Some of the best advice in the world on fitness comes from blogs. Just because you're not paying for information, doesn't mean it has less value. :)

The website I linked is the home of a qualified nutritionist and personal trainer who has shown time and time again in the industry how IF can work at peak performance levels.

I know you're using the 5:2 or ADF systems shown, but don't discount the 16:8 or 18:6 systems as well. They're more effective and heavily used in the industry. It doesn't work for everyone (myself included. I prefer the 7 meals a day method), but when it does work, it's immense. :)

Bear in mind you don't have to lose muscle to lose bodyfat. If you use IF without training, that can happen though.

Nice talking to some people about this though that don't just jump on the backs of people who put effort in. :)

9. The_Crapman

[​IMG]

This is the guy who writes the blog you linked and that is an abnormal amount of muscle. Regardless of the fact that he's stripped off his fat so it's defined and clearly visable, no one would have that amount of muscle or that kind of muscle structure naturally. It had no real value or purpose. It's not much differant than women who have anorexia or bulimia because of the fashion industries portrayal women and how they 'should' look.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2013
  10. Phalanx

You have your view, I have mine. Depends what you define as "naturally". If it's an office job, no. If it's working actively, it's actually not that hard to get that kind of level before bodyfat loss, and IF down to it (which is what IF is designed to do). He's also tensing in that photo.

And to compare it to bulimia or anorexia is just stupid. This isn't a disorder.

I'll stop there, otherwise I'll end up trolling or upsetting a mod instead.

11. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Having 60% of the calories come from cooking oil just wrecks the point.

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

In fairness, some people do suffer from body dysmorphia in this context, which is a disorder - while lots of people who do try to build large amounts of muscle don't suffer from this, a significant number too. I recall reading somewhere that Dr. Christian of Channel 4 fame has this particular condition, and sees himself as scrawny, even though he's very muscular.

13. The_Crapman

It's not a view, 'abnormal' is nicely defined by Mr Richard Tionary for us. Even for his chosen profession of a pt, that amount of muscle mass is abnormal. He has made a choice to undertake certain actions to increase his muscle mass to that extent.

I know or have known about a dozen pt's and they were/are all very 'athletic' in their physique, but only 2 of them had that kind of build and they spent a lot of time and effort at the gym in addition to their work to acheive it. It made them no better at their job, it was purely for looks like some sort of muscle bound peacock. But at least a peacock gets his tail without trying. Lol

14. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

That's a ridiculous statement. Of course it's not natural to come straight out the womb ripped and shredded, just like not natural to come out morbidly obese or chronically anorexic, but to say having a large amount of muscle naturally is impossible is just silly. Take someone like Terry Hollands, an undeniably naturally huge bloke, strip him down to 8% body fat and he'll look like something straight out of a 1980's action movie.

Having a large amount of muscle is not unnatural, whether you're born with it or put in the time and effort to earn it (ie don't use steroids), to say otherwise just reeks of jealousy imo.

15. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I'd eat it :D

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I have little to no desire to ever look like that...

Moderate daily excercise and a healthy daily diet is not going to produce that for myself, or for many people. It's "abnormal" in the sense that it would require hundreds of hours a year of additional excercise and a strict diet (which also likely isn't normal... 600 calories?) to achieve, largely for cosmetic purposes.

17. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

It's like smørrebrød gone horribly wrong.

18. The_Crapman

thats my point exactly. yeh some people are just big and naturally have more muscle. but to have that much muscle requires a vast amount of hours doing specific and purposeful exercise techniques to acheive that build, for no other purpose other than to look like that.

Professional athletes like sprinters need a large physique to propel them down the track at 30mph. he does not need that physique to be a pt, it's just for show.

19. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I always go round in circles trying to guess whether people like that are doing it for themselves or for other people. I mean, he wants other people to think he looks good, but only so that it'll increase his self-esteem. Kinda both I guess?

Whatever makes you happy, I say. But personally, gym work has never made me happy; exercise that isn't actively propelling me somewhere outdoors, or refining a skill or hobby, feels like time wasted to me.

Anyway, /offtopic

That sandwich is horrific. I believe him that it tastes good, but I couldn't eat it in good conscience, knowing what we all unavoidably now know about cholesterol and diet.

Dude111 likes this.
  20. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

its nasty a looking pile of grease that.