1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Downgrading to something new

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PauloWhysalli, 21 Jun 2013.

1. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

So I am probably selling my sig rig and downsizing/grading to something quieter and smaller.

Budget: £300.00
    Main uses of intended build: Internet browsing, light gaming and office stuff
    Parts required: Case, PSU, Motherboard, Processor
    Previous build information (list details of parts): As per sig rig
    Monitor resolution: 1920x1080
    Storage requirements: I've got a SSD and HDD's
    Will you be overclocking: No
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Option to add graphics card at a later date.
    Extra information about desired system: Needs to be as small and quiet as the budget allows. Games will be Sins of a Solar Empire, LOTRO etc, but are not a priority over the size and quietness of the system.

So any advice gratefully received, I am thinking an ITX build but have no ideas really.

2. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Case
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/frac...micro-atx-mini-tower-performance-case-w-o-psu
    Mobo
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-...a-raid-pcie-20-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-micro-a
    Psu
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/430w...rid-modular-85-eff-80-plus-bronze-eps-12v-atx
    Cpu
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-...e-39ghz-amd-radeon-hd-8570d-844mhz-100w-retai

Total £265.11

perfect for the uses you list
    and comes in £30 under budget ( although the case is out of stock at scan atm :/ )
    the £30 could be used to get some nice fans ( GT 1450s would be well suited )

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Keep the 2500 and stick it in a cheap itx motherboard.

Even stock it will run rings around anything you will get in your budget.

4. mark1903

mark1903 Minimodder

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I downgraded from an Antec P182 to a Bitfenix Prodigy (because I needed the cooling to retain my oversized 7950).

The following changes were the only ones required (other than the case) and the rest of the components in my sig were transplanted:

MSI P67A-GD53 -> ASRock Z77E-ITX
    Thermaltake Frio -> Corsair H55
    A mess of HDDs +SSD -> 2 HDDs + SSD

That's it. I didn't even need to reinstall Windows. Had I been building without gaming as the main priority, and without the desire to potentially watercool in the future, I might have chosen a smaller case than the Prodigy, but I'm very happy with it - it runs identically to the P182.

EDIT: Looking at your existing rig, the two main noise generators will be the H60 and 7950 (that Twin Frozr ain't quiet under load), plus any case fans. If you were to sell the 7950, stick the H60 on a fan controller (I used a Recon) and use quiet case fans also on the controller, you'd be almost silent.

You could then look at adding a quiet discrete GPU again at a later date, depending on the case you went for.

Last edited: 21 Jun 2013
  6. PauloWhysalli

That looks quite good to me, the Twin is a little on the noisy side tbf. Hasn't mattered in the past but its a bit annoying now.

7. Shirty

I had a 560Ti 448 with the Twin Frozr 3 and it was the loudest card I've ever owned. I can't imagine the 7950 being much different.

The Asus DirectCU II is much the same principle but apparently it's substantially quieter, although I have not experienced it in the flesh. I personally went for an uprated blower cooler in the HIS to avoid heat build up in the case, but this does limit how small you can go in terms of the case:

[​IMG]

8. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

If one SSD and one 3.5" HDD is enough, see my sig for a cheap AMD system. It runs absolutely silently, it's very small and you can pick it up with one hand. The APU graphics are good enough for light gaming, and it takes a full length graphics card if you want to upgrade later (the PSU I've got is likely to limit to midrange cards).

Last edited: 21 Jun 2013
  9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

10. Shirty

If size is more important than graphical horsepower, then the Sugo is definitely another logical choice for ITX. It's a tasty little case and dwarfed by the Prodigy in terms of size. But it will struggle if you put a really manly GPU in there.

I built a rig in one recently for a friend with a 660 and it's perfectly serviceable, looks good too.

Don't know much about the TT that Tel refers to above but for me it's fugly :D

Teelzebub likes this.
  11. PauloWhysalli

Ten years ago I would have had that and thought it was boootiful, not sure now though. Probably avoid the Sugo as I may well want to add a graphics card at some point, like the Prodigy but I am also considering the Coolermaster Elite 120.

12. Shirty

It's a good case and great value, but the CPU can get quite toasty in there since there's very little air flowing through the centre of the case and it's too cramped to fit a good cooler in.

13. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

The Sugo is fine for a graphics card. It has a vent directly next to where the card's fans are (assuming they exhaust into the case), and you can get PSUs for it that will easily take a GTX 660/7850.

You do need a low profile cooler though. The one I got keeps the CPU cool, it's quiet, and it directs the airflow sideways rather than upwards, which is perfect for this case (having vents on either side and the PSU at the top).