1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Worth the upgrade or waste of time.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wolf5ster, 21 Jun 2013.

1. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Could you please help me would this be a worthy upgrade. (OC and maybe SLI).

Would windows 8 see it has the same motherboard or would I get a Death screen or reboot reboot lal la la?:lol:

MSI Z77A G43 to a MSI Z77A G45 and my PSU is an OCZ 750W ZS and graphics card is GTX 660 SC.

:thumb:

2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Does the '43 only support CrossfireX then?

Your PSU is fine, and SLI kicks ass. Not much more I can say really. The only issue I have had with SLI since January was Far Cry 3. I had to run it on one card for a couple of weeks.

Not that it mattered, I hated FC3 any way.

Oh and I had a '45 (just sold it) and it was a great board.

3. AlienwareAndy

BTW before you ditch your G43...

I would buy the second 660 and try HyperSLI

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2414995

Which may well get you up and running without having to buy a new board. I *might* have some spare bridges around if you get stuck, but they're usually on Fleabay for a couple of quid.

4. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Yes it only supports crossfire but the second lane is only PCI express x4 and I don't think I would see the full benefit of hyper sli.

5. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Keeping the G43 because ive decideded to sell the card and might decide to downgrade my pc a little.

I've been thinking over the last 2 months and even more now EA have decided not to develop the ignite engine for PC + developers are making more fuss over the consoles.

Might seriously think about a cheap FM2 rig or just run off intel HD 4000 and use my 1400 X 900 display.

6. AlienwareAndy

Well that's only down to Nvidia not wanting any one using SLI with a 4X lane. AMD allow Crossfire to run on a 4X lane and plenty of people run Crossfire that way so I can't see how it could be that bad.

7. Uxon

Uxon Minimodder

:jawdrop: Nooo, don't give up on PC gaming, downgrading is usually more hassle than it's worth with the amount you lose selling your old stuff. :p If you're really determined to sell the 660 then you could always pick up an old 2nd hand DX10 card like a GTX 260 for £25 or so, would still be miles better than the intel HD graphics.

8. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

I've decided to downgrade to an older 5770 for the time being and will look towards a smaller build in the future. The CPU for me will be the major upgrade in the future.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2013