1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Revelation (2/12 Final photos and video!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by quizz_kid, 14 Jun 2013.

1. rwb97

rwb97 Addicted to modding

As always loving the woodwork from you quizz! I've played around with dismantled LCD's and backlights trying to get one to work nicely in a transparent sort of way, so to see someone else planning a similar thing is awesomesauce much! Can't wait to see how it turns out and all the best of luck!

2. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Great idea and fantastic execution so far. Subbed and repped!

3. matiss

matiss Minimodder

Absolutly wonderful woodwork. Loved your previous builds and this one is a no-brainer to follow ;)

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Brilliant, had no idea you started another. :clap:

Wood flavored cheesecake, do I like it, I like everything you make lol. :dremel:

Looks amazing already. :)

5. Primum Agmen

Primum Agmen What's a Dremel?

So much workshop envy. Lovely wood you're working with. I didn't even realise they made transparent LCDs. :D

6. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thank you. I'm also very excited about the LCD!

Thakn you Boorach

Thanks Matiss

Well thanks Waynio... Hope you're doing good btw!

The wood is nice, yessss... And they don't make transparent LCDs yet, mine is from the FUTURE!

Update:

Started on the keyboard modification. Cut some pieces...
    [​IMG]

I took what I had left, and had to use two differnet kinds of walnut for this one. But I'm sure they'll blend together when I put some stain on it later.
    [​IMG]

So, this was going to be a challange in terms of delicate modding. Did some accurate milling.
    [​IMG]

This is the design idea. One keyboard and one storage unit(for remote controllers and mouse) These will be snapped together with hidden magnets.
    [​IMG]

This is one of four very complex corners
    [​IMG]

The slim Logitech keyboard can't be disassembled, whitch sadly means that I can't make any surgery on on/off buttons etc. I simply had to make holes for USB charging and on/off button.
    [​IMG]

Then I realized I'd milled the USB socket on the wrong side :sigh: Well, I had to fix that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that, I made some drilling for those hidden magnets, mirrored on each unit.
    [​IMG]

Ang glue them together.
    [​IMG]

I aslo started making the speakers. Never made anything like this, so I just had to go with guts on this one. Please let me know if I do something really stupid here. Pieces cut.
    [​IMG]

Holes for the elements
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, it's that 3.5 angle again. Mmmmm...
    [​IMG]

Here's the system I had in mind. The 90 angle in PVC is for some bass(hopefully) Not really sure what I'm doing here =)
    [​IMG]

Assembled fronts.
    [​IMG]

Front mounted inside. I'm not sure, but should I add some silencing material inside?
    [​IMG]

Finally, I received the slim mouse which I'm going to make into something woody later
    [​IMG]

:)

7. LegendaryScott

LegendaryScott Trying to live up to the name

This is so cool.
    Massive kudos to your carpentry skills mate

8. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I'd add some silencing foam on them. Also. It'd make them look a bit tidier, no?

9. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Might i suggest this to figure out if your port will work or not? :)

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

10. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks man!

I'll add some foam. And I think I forgot to mention, the speakers are going into the chassis, meaning not visible. So there's really no point in making them prettier =)

Great page Furball, going to look into that!

11. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Update

More work on the side panels. Three brass inserts in each side
    [​IMG]

Had to look around for really long screws and found these 120mm M5 in black on ebay... which is nice!
    [​IMG]

Screwed the panels together. Time to make them flush...
    [​IMG]

Done! I didn't expect the cut hiding this well. The idea was to have a small chamfer in between, but the pieces look so nice so I'll just leave them be.
    [​IMG]

Here's a close up. It's hidden pretty well =)
    [​IMG]

Another close up... It's barely visible.
    [​IMG]

Then I added some padding to the speakers and sealed it all.
    [​IMG]

Done! Tried them out, and they sound really good as well. The port does a great job, delivering some extra bass. Some times you're just lucky I guess =)
    [​IMG]

This is where they'll be mounted, behind the side panels.
    [​IMG]

They will also provide some extra support for the chassis construction... That's nice!
    [​IMG]

Front view.
    [​IMG]

I also got started on making the mouse. Here are the parts cut.
    [​IMG]

Four sides glued.
    [​IMG]

This is where I am now. The design is some what inspired by that bulky mouse from SNES. Will put veneer on the sides tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Off the the keyboard again. For some symmetry I made a small cut using a knife, reflecting the meeting point of keyboard/storage unit.
    [​IMG]

Made sliding backsides for good accessibility.
    [​IMG]

Another shot. Will put some "Quizz-stain-painting" on the backs later.
    [​IMG]

I had to hide that ugly black finish between the keys, so I lasercut two optional materials:
    [​IMG]

Walnut veneer...
    [​IMG]

... and a piece of brown leather. I can't decide what's best here. I guess the leather is more functional and will add some contrast. But I like the veneer as well... Hmm
    [​IMG]

And here is an idea for a problem I've been stuggling with for some time now. When gaming on the transparent LCD, the electronics/components behind the it may distract a bit. I've come up with some ideas, but I decided to go with a kind of spring roller blind modification.

This is the spring roller blind/sunshade for cars which I'll use. It's a bit too long, so I'll cut it and make some modifications later.
    [​IMG]

And the materal I'll use for the actual blind? WOOD OF COURSE!!! I've never seen this before, but it's a veneer that's been sliced up, held together by small threads on the backside. Perfect for this project.
    [​IMG]

When rolled out, it looks like any veneer...
    [​IMG]

... but if you look closely, you can see the fine cut segments, mm by mm. Amazing! It's a bit fragile, so I'll have some kind of fabric glued on the backside I guess...
    [​IMG]

Later!! :lol::lol::lol:

12. G0oB

G0oB Fresh made Modder

holy **** thats it good looking stuff ! im subbed ! :)

13. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks G0ob!

Today I've started on the joystick pads. When not in use, they'll go into the chassis like pull out chest drawers, more about that later.
    [​IMG]

8mm MDF glued into the frame work, and then some nice veneer.
    [​IMG]

Then I had to cut one of the sides in that 3.5 angle... the dimsaw got the job done pretty easy.
    [​IMG]

I will have some magnets hidden in the side facing the chassis side panel, so I made a simple 3.5 angle jig and drilled two holes.
    [​IMG]

Some veneering to hide the holes.
    [​IMG]

8mm magnets inserted from inside.
    [​IMG]

Did the same thing on the chassis side panel, mirrored of course. Drilled 1mm too deep, and used small pieces of veneer to fill up the distance.
    [​IMG]

Some epoxy
    [​IMG]

On to the mouse again. I didn't like the grains on the first one, so I made a new one. Didnt have access to lasercutter this time, so had to use my machine skills for some precise milling.
    [​IMG]

First hole done...
    [​IMG]

Finished. I like the one-piece bent veneer on this one, better flow in the grains.
    [​IMG]

Then I planed a very small piece of walnut for the sliding fan grill on top(I'll tell you more about this later) I wanted to make a small 1.5mm track through it, and made this very simple but effective milling jig.
    [​IMG]

The piece is very fragile, with its 26x4x540mm.
    [​IMG]

Also continued a bit on that wooden blind. I applied some fabric on the backside and began to cut it in the right dimensions. Used two thick MDF sheets to keep it steady while cutting.
    [​IMG]

This is after cutting.
    [​IMG]

Tada!
    [​IMG]

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:idea: Quiztain. :lol:

Hmmm, leather or walnut keyboard face, walnut stained darker would be nice with a lighter frame.

This has moved on fast since I last looked & your doing more wickedly awesome stuff. :clap::rock:

15. Asouter

Asouter --------

Nice update Squid, I like the wooden surround for the keyboard, it looks so much better than the leather, but for a bit of contrast I can see how it's still a hard decision.

I have an old macbook that I'd like to replace all the plastics with veneer, any advice ?

16. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

oh... my... good...
    *sitting speechless*

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

This is amazing stuff. Your woodwork gives me wood :naughty:

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

19. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

I say leather...!

20. thegyufi

thegyufi What's a Dremel?

I love so much your job and your handskill !!
    If only I can be a little piece of wood to be touch by you :D (it's a joke, stay calm.)