1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam STALKER SoC replay

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Krikkit, 3 Jul 2013.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Spurred on by relative poverty this month, rather than buying something new after finishing CoJ:Gunslinger, I decided to have a trawl through my Steam list for something with a few hours of play-time.

Lo and behold, SoC pops to mind. Playing it through to the brain scorcher (where the original team left it) is one of the finest few hours of gaming I'd ever had at the time, despite the huge number of bugs.

So, installed, all patched up, and away we go! Aside from the view-bob (talk about irritating), I'm absolutely smitten again. The atmosphere, the level size, the isolation when you're out there in the Dark Valley or Red Forest, wonderful.

I might even push to actually finish this time, rather than just ignoring the rushed bit at the end.

Anyone else gone back to this recently? I tried the Misery mod briefly, but didn't really get much from it.

Matticus likes this.
  2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I tried playing it but I couldn't get into it. I've hardly touched it to be honest, I suspect I'll enjoy it once I get far enough in but the crap weapons and vomit inducing view bob pushes me away.
    I'll reinstall after I've worked my way though the games I'm currently playing.

3. Ljs

Ljs Modder

A few years ago I started another play through. It is indeed a lovely game and I might dig it out again.

Are the other two Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat worth a purchase?

Have you tried out the Complete mod Krikkat?

4. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I love the atmosphere. I installed the stalker mod that improves it enormously too. Usually mods are a drag but this was a one-click install.

5. Krikkit

Both of the follow-ups are worth purchasing imo - CoP was the best game in the series (on my first play-throughs of course).

I've tried the complete mod, which is great, but I still prefer the original somehow. I'm picky about mods - things like changing the character's hands and fiddling with the weapons tend to bug me...

Smiffy: View-bob mod: http://stalker.filefront.com/file/No_Headbobbing_Mini_Mod;77365x#2124328
    Not tried it myself yet, but a recent post says it works on v1.4+, so it should work on Steam. :)

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

One of these days I'll work up the nerve to play it again but the first time I got scared silly at one point and never got round to playing again... Yes I am a coward!!

7. Krikkit

I'm not surprised - walking around the underground labs being hunted by bloodsuckers, snorks and occasionally a controller has me bricking it. Without NVG's I don't even go out at night... :worried:

8. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I got pretty far into SOC. Then I realised that the opposition were crack shots and I ended up stuck huddled behind a car for nearly an hour at a time, whilst constantly running out of ammo.

Which was a shame because the game itself is pretty amazing..

I did install COP and again got pretty far into that before getting a bit bored.

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Just install Supermodpack.

It's easier and the enemies tend to be really really blind again. I played CoP the other day. And realized why I stopped. There was too much adrenaline pumping and it made me chronically fear dogs.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

You big jessie.lol. I may well go back to this game myself. I loved the Stalker games with all there faults. I have just reloaded Fallout 3 as I am unable to play Max Payne 3 due to activation problems. http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=261261

And so far I am really enjoying it again. I think this time i will do every quest find every location ETC ETC.

Is it a reflection on today's games that so many of us are returning to much older favourites I wonder?

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I've got all of the STALKER games when I bought them in a sale. I got insta-killed by an unseen enemy with a single bullet on the first mission, uninstalled it in disgust. Never touched it again.

12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

We talked about this once on mumble.

Anyhow it's not that bad, just take a different approach. Honestly, it's not that we don't have good games. It's just that they've become a tad formulaic.

That said, I've been playing path of Exile. And boy is that good.

13. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Did we? I've forgotten mate. Anyway, it annoyed me that much. I've never been that annoyed by a game before or since.

14. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I'd forgotten I have this installed already, thanks for reminding me. I bought this ages ago in Game for a couple of quid and got through the first couple of levels before my GPU gave out.

By the time I got another one earlier this year, other things like moving house had taken over - my gaming now consists of the odd quick World of Tanks battle. I now need to get back into Stalker, the atmosphere in it was great - I don't think I've even got to the hard levels yet.

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I was really glad I came back to SoC again after several years. I only played the first few areas when it first came out due to something bigger and better coming along at the time.

It was worth it though, the game gets epic in the second half, with a real sense of survival and terror.

16. AlienwareAndy

Any idea where to get the mod pack?

17. Krikkit

Get over it and try again... It's a cracker. :)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stalker+soc+mod+pack :p

18. AlienwareAndy

19. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Three bits of SoC really freaked me out,
    the second (IIRC) underground lab where there's that mental door that seems to be being battered about by something massive on the other side, then when you finally get the code to open it and...

Then going to the abandoned village near Freedom to retrieve the grenade launcher, Bloodsuckers, ee God the Bloodsuckers.

Then on the way to the brain scorcher when they started coming up out of the floor, I must have wasted a couple of hundred bullets before I figured it out.

Actually, scratch three, number four is at the end when you get inside the sarcophagus and... and come to me, I can see what you wish upon. Come to me, your quest has been fulfilled. Come to me, because only one can take the true reward. Come to me, you have found what you have searched for. Come to me.

I sank an ungodly number of hours into that game, never played Clear Sky or Pripyat though.

20. Dannyman191

Dannyman191 What's a Dremel?

I really wanted to play this, i got a couple hours in and my loading screens started getting longer and longer, Anyone know an actual fix for this, I've gone through loads of possible fixes and none have seemed to work :/