1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia to bundle Splinter Cell Blacklist with GTX boards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 Jul 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

AMD still have the best offer in terms of free games, regardless of whether you like the games or not since you can just sell them if you don't like them.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Oh, AMD's bundle is way better - when they haven't somehow 'run out' of a digital product - but you can't actually sell 'em, you know.
    There's a PDF with all the rules in, if you're curious.

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Very true but it doesn't stop people selling them.

5. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

Meh, another card, another game, another bundle and no doubt there will be another new Nvidia driver optimized for Splinter Cell Blacklist, sorry, but I can't help but feel slightly despondent every time a new game and driver is released as they often seem to cause more problems than they fix and my PC still regularly crashes with the old "Nvidia driver crashed and recovered" message which is a very common, very old Nvidia issue which they have never properly addressed and now conveniently choose to ignore :sigh:

Rant over, but I'll probably say it again soon :wallbash:

6. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I've never purchased a card based on the game bundle that came with it. It does always seem to be the AMD buyers who rave about getting the games with their card.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Surely you don't expect offers to be indefinite. Also I'm sure they have a deal with game publishers for x number of licenses after which the offer ends. Running out of digital stock is just an overly simplistic way of putting the terms of their arrangement for the general public.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

AMD changed the terms and conditions you would not be able to sell them on this forum or others like it but ebay will happily let you sell the games as a complete bundle enough you can buy said bundle for £23 buy it now price seller has like 5 of them ( and hes not the cheapest either). Price has dropped alot in recent weeks as well.

Cant say id ever purchase a graphic card based on its gpu bundle.

9. alwayssts

alwayssts What's a Dremel?

People seem to claim left and right these things don't matter, and in the scope of the current landscape with very different skus arranged across price-points (size, overclocking headroom vs out-of-the-box experience etc) that may be true, but we're in-between both product and game cycles. Price matters now, but will it q4?

I am truly curious how 760 and the inevitable 9850 (or whatever the sleeker new asic version 7870xt is called) clocked and priced to match it will contend...very likely similar parts in all respects when down to brass performance tacks that will be cheap and overclockable to adequate high-end 1080p performance...when one likely ships with Battlefield 4 and/or Watch_Dogs and the other SC.

The key to these bundles has always been the fact if buying a new card, it's likely for a certain new title. It may not have been Crysis and Tomb Raider, but could very well have been one of those (the most impressive pc FPS and adventure games of the year) and changes the value significantly to someone interested in either of those genres. Which brings me to my point...show me a gamer in q4 that would not want either bf4 OR watch dogs.

10. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

dammit, bought a GTX780 at the weekend :(

11. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

scan.co.uk show splinter cell on a lot of their GTX range today, so I guess they are an approved retailer, I bought my GTX from them on Saturday, so I am going to see if I can get it :)

12. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

The bundles made a difference to my last purchase...I got Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite AND Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon with my card - three games I would've bought anyway - which saved me about £70. That's enough of a saving off a £300 card to nudge my decision in AMDs direction, in this instance anyway.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Its a bit like getting a years free insurance or xxx amount of free petrol when you buy a new car, it probably wont make you buy that particular car but it sure makes it a lot sweeter, and could be the tipping point if you cant see a difference between models/makes.

14. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

Yes, that tipping point is what it's all about, if your decision has come down to two cards, one with games and one without, be rude not to :duh:

15. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

heh, well raised a call with scan.co.uk and they just gave me splinter cell, happy now with a free new game :)

16. Gareth Halfacree

No, I don't - which is why these things have a date after which the offer expires. What I do expect is that when someone has ordered a graphics card which says in big letters FREE COPY OF CALL OF HONOUR 15 with an expiry date months in the future, they get a free copy of Call of Honour 15 when they buy the graphics card. Yet that isn't happening: I've seen people told by retailers "oh, we're out of codes - we may be getting some later, so check back." (Incidentally, the terms and conditions forbid the retailer from saying that, which doesn't appear to be stopping any of them.)
    If you're giving away a game with a graphics card, then you need to have enough games to go with the number of graphics cards you're selling. Remember the good old days, before ubiquitous internet connections? You'd get a disc in the box. Even when we all got dialup, you'd at least get a code card. Now it's "well, we might email you a code, if you're lucky. Oh, by the way, thanks for the cash, chump."

Unacceptable. If AMD - or Nvidia, or whoever - has a deal with a games publisher to give away 100,000 codes, then advertise it as "free game to the first 100,000 purchasers." Don't make it a "oh, you'll definitely get this" and then take it away - that's bait-and-switch, and illegal under both US and UK consumer law. Alternatively, buy more bloody codes: they're digital, there's no such thing as scarcity of supply. They can be generated in infinite numbers. If the company makes enough profit on the sale of each graphics card to pay for the game licence, then it can pay for new licences for all the cards it's selling during the offer period - y'know, like it promised to. Saying they're out of stock of something that doesn't actually exist, and can be conjured up out of thin air in seconds is disingenuous at best, and downright untrue at worst.

Why yes, that sort of behaviour does irritate me. However did you guess?

17. Gareth Halfacree

18. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Well fine, if they have printed more boxes with the give away than they have bought codes. A small sternly worded email would get you your codes more than likely.

19. burnoutuk

burnoutuk What's a Dremel?

Dabs weren't as accommodating with a 770 bought last week.
    It's a shame as the game looks good.

20. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Hmm, that's funny, because that's exactly why I don't buy AMD cards.

Incidentally, I blame AMD that I may have screwed over one of the workstations at my office - I had to violate the hell out of the warranty on a Dell to get a 5770 to fit (had to drill out the rivets for the HD cage and pull the cage), turns out the card is faulty so I replace it with a 550Ti...and the computer still has problems...and I sure as hell can't let a Dell tech see it in its missing-the-drive-cage, hard-drive-zip-tied-to-the-upper-cage state now. Fortunately, management is absolutely clueless, so that PC might just disappear.

At any rate, either one can give away whatever - don't care. I guess it helps that I won't buy AMD, so there isn't really a tipping the balance sort of point with me - it's how much money I'll be handing NVidia this time.