1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

And this being a debate, some people are obviously going to disagree with you and, well, debate. But we're all cool with that, right? 'Cause it's fun to debate. :)

2. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Firefox, another good browser, although last time I tried it a few months back it just seemed a little bloated. I use two plug-ins, adblock and lastpass, so the extra features aren't a huge draw.

VLC and MPC, don't quite get the need for both, as they do the same thing tbh. Their advantages are lightweight and play almost anything out of the box. I'd hate to use either to play music though as they lack any sort of library. WMP is an all-in-one media player, VLC and MPC are solely video players, the comparison isn't like for like.

I have a feeling you make these comments without really using either IE or WMP, or at least not recent versions. I'm happy to say that I prefer Chrome to IE, and I prefer a combination of Zune and MPC to WMP. But IE and WMP are both very capable pieces of software. Give me WMP over iTunes every day of the week.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Are you high? It's like you have no idea what being talked about.
    [​IMG]

4. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

Compared to what? As an all round browser FF doesn't have any competition in terms of support, function, speed, interface and system footprint.

VLC handles libraries better & I prefer the color palette on MPC, I use both for different things.
    I'm afraid thats just plain wrong.
    comparing WMP to itunes doesn't make the case, almost everything is better than itunes.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2013
  5. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

Try having an adult conversation without throwing your toys out the pram & embarrassing yourself by misreading posts & responding to things that have not been said.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

LOL you are reversing roles. Wow just incredible.

7. dullonien

Chrome and IE. I found FF to use a healthy amount more memory and CPU. I suppose it's no biggie, it is just preference. All three main browsers are now very good indeed.

Is it? There is library support in VLC, but it's simply terrible in comparison to others out there. Playing music in VLC or MPC just seems like an afterthought. It is so incredibly basic, and so incredibly boring and dull.

Well I agree with you there.

8. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

I was running an 8yo pc up until recently, so system footprint was an issue, FF was the lightest & fastest by far, chrome settings are awful & too basic, not to mention the privacy issue. IE is simply rubbish.

Yes, I'm afraid it is, VLC and MPC are not solely video players.

Basic is good, I will take functional simplicity over bloated aesthetic everytime. It does everything I need, sort by artist, shuffle, create playlist etc. VLC has such an incredible array of settings & technical features, there is no other media player quite like it, you can even design your own interface to suit just like FF. I find the library just fine as long as you have your media folders/archive arranged properly.

So have ms changed their policy on pirate content then? ...does wmp really play EVERYTHING now? .

9. Nexxo

Got to agree with you there. Smashing my own fingers with a hammer to hear me scream in agony is a better way of producing sound than iTunes.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

So I got a Please Restart Popup today and after doing a few tests, the Power Button on both my keyboard + case when pressed do not shutdown and update the PC.

However the power option in the charm bar has indeed changed to Update and Shutdown, and Update and Restart. It seems odd that they would have made windows do that, but forgotten the case/keyboard power buttons.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Microsofts Surface is currently at a $150 off on most american retailers wonder if we will see a similar price reduce in uk.

12. Nexxo

Looks like they're dumping stock for the next model. Still, makes it a much more reasonable proposition.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry but i cant resits pulling your leg :D
    Believe It: Zoe the Cat, PhD

14. dullonien

And that kinda invalidates your 'better in every way argument'. In your opinion having a basic library is fine, but for me it would be a complete no go for managing and playing my largish music collection.

There's nothing wrong with your opinion that for your needs they are usable and fine, but that doesn't mean that everyone will find VLC acceptable for playing music. I personally like a little visual prettiness, it's a program that's always open and why wouldn't I want something a little nicer to look at?

I'm not quite sure what your last sentence is asking. From my experience WMP will play everything if you have the correct codec installed.

15. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

It doesn't invalidate anything, music files are not complex, most of the time you will be sorting between artist and title, I have 5474 music files, is that large? probably average. VLC handles it just fine. Even if that collection was not sorted nicely into folders, I could still just dump it all into VLC and create a playlist then sort by whatever info is contained in the media file

not every likes the win8 skin either, so we have come full circle & you agree with me.

I will take that as a no then, codecs are so last century.

16. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Hopefully they'll knock the Surface down enough to be more competitive with the Nexus tablets, especially if the new 7 is just as cheap while being a decent upgrade.

17. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

EVERY media player needs the correct codecs or nothing will play. The main difference is some come with everything you will need, and others don't and you have to install them yourself. Even with MPC-BE which I use as my default video player, I am installing still LAV+madVR to render in superior quality than the inbuilt offer.

After lots and lots and lots of faffing about it seems I have mostly solved the issues I was having. I still have to jump through some hoops X times I try to use something and it stops working for what seems like no reason. I hope I don't have these problems when it goes RTM as I would like to move on to it permanently as it really is quite nice otherwise.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

Cheapest if will hit in uk will be £300 mark I'd guess.( Without touch cover) New nexus is estimated below £180 not even in the same price brand really.

Dou't there's much money in selling it sub £300 $350. Can not see them been to willing to take a huge loss either on it.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Why not, it wouldn't be the first time.

20. Nexxo

It is not Microsoft's philosophy to sell devices at cost. It should be, because it needs to get people buying into the ecosystem before it can make a profit from it, but it isn't.