1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve announces Pipeline educational programme

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Jul 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Can only be seen as a good thing.
    I'm probably showing my age or ignorance hear :worried: but aren't
    All question that career advisors should be able to answer ? or is career advise no longer provided to school children ?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The only career advice a career advisor is qualified to give is on the subject of becoming a career adviser. Everything else is second-hand at best. A company with considerable success in the field of games development and publishing, on the other hand...

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Career advice is a total waste of time, ticking boxes on a sheet of multiple answer questions about personal preferences is about as in depth as it gets.

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Couldn't agree more. I was told I should join the military, which is just about the most laughably inappropriate advice they could possibly have given, and I knew that at the time. Like many things it's a sinecure.

That said, I'm alarmed that people actually need telling what to study to get into games. Google is the greatest single information resource the world has ever known, and it's simplicity itself to look up job ads and evaluate the requirements. It's also blindingly obvious that computer game programming requires computer science and mathematics, even without having looked it up. If today's kids need telling that...

P

6. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

If they're anything like the "career advisors" I talked with at various points between high school, GCSEs & A levels, they have probably caused more harm than help. I was one of these kids dying to know more about game dev & design. But all the way through ages 13-18 they told me it was unrealistic and to aim for something way below my station.

They are useless, often trying, but never inspiring.

7. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Unfortunately many kids think getting into game development is easy. But it does require a lot of effort and time spent.
    You need to be highly motivated and determined to make it. Sadly passion alone doesn't cut it. I myself have the passion for video games, but I just lack skills in math and computer science. I only have basic programming knowledge.

career advisors are more about trying to get kids into some kind of job instead of them ending up on the streets and becoming criminals. High aspirations has no place then. Driven people don't need advisory in the first place. They can manage themselves just fine.