1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Car overheating problem

Discussion in 'General' started by smc8788, 12 Jul 2013.

1. PeteA

PeteA What's a Dremel?

If its not venting (hissing) from the pressure relief cap on the expansion tank and it sounds like the thermostat is opening ok...

I'd be tempted to replace the temp gauge sensor... could be the sensor is faulty and reading incorrectly.

Not to be confused with the CTS which the ecu uses!

With over heating you wouldn't be able to hold the thermostat to rad hose or touch the engine/rocker cover etc because it would be boiling hot!!

Although if the coolants never been changed then its never had a cambelt/water pump replacement, that can be anything from 60 -> 100k these days... so its due if it definitely hasn't had one yet!!

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

It does seem like the temp sensor has something wrong although the pump could also be it.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Actually with a dead pump you can bomb around fine at speed, as convection keeps the engine cool enough so long as coolant isn't leaking from anywhere. You cool the radiator at 90mph it'll keep the engine cool enough.

I can't remember if those water pumps were due every cambelt change, I do however remember a few cars that did require such a service but for the life of me I can't remember them.

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

For my money it's one of the following, (had 3 Astras, although none newer than 05)

>Thermostat, been said already.

>Water pump, damn plastic blades, however it is common to replace these when doing a cam belt service so it may not be as old as thought and may not be knackered.

> Air Lock, bleed the sytem

>Faulty pressure cap @ reservoir, cheap ten quid fix

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Just one point if you're going to get prices for things like getting the water pump replaced don't just put it in for that first ask them to check if it is that causing the problem all we can do is make suggestions what the problem is the garage will be able to do test and confirm the problem

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Any news?

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Not yet, its going in the garage when I'm back to work next week as I still need my car to get about at the moment. Will update then when they find out what the problem is!

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Put a pack of biscuits on top of the engine, mechanics like biscuits and tend to go one step further when happy. :)

side note when getting the car MOT'd I walk around with the inspector and when he starts to get really interested in something like brake lines, etc I cough and offer a biscuit and suddenly all is well. :)

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Hobnobs, Bourbons or Custard Creams? Which work best, in your experience? This we need to know.

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

This also applies to ICT Support Techs ;)

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Premium brand biscuits are a must, you cheap out and your wallet pays more :) I've always found Hobnobs good in a pinch if I forgot on the way there, but if I remembered it's got to be foxes classic selection tray! :thumb: