1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Panasonic first with mass-produced ReRAM computer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Jul 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Always enjoy a good old tech story while at work.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Sure you don't mean Elpida?

4. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

Why are they calling them microcomputers instead of microcontrollers like everybody else?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Fixed, ta!
    Because what they've built is a microcomputer rather than a microcontroller: in particular, it has a block of 'mass' storage (the ReRAM) not typical of a microcontroller, which does not usually include non-volatile storage beyond its program ROM. I say typically, 'cos some microcontrollers do have flash storage built in and you can easily argue that any given microcontroller is a microcomputer and frequently vice-versa - they're both ill-defined labels.

6. AiA

AiA Minimodder

ReRam
    MN101LR

I hope they come up with some better names, when products start coming out for the average consumer =p

7. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I have to agree with Narishma - they definitely look like microcontrollers, based on the core specs and the I/O. I can't think of any recent micros that can't write to their own flash "ROM"! (and PIC12/PIC16 don't count :p )