1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Bit-Tech/Intel NUC Competition] Intranuc - Complete --- Final pictures

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 4 Aug 2013.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

This is incredible. Can't believe how small that case is. Definitely think you should keep the brass mesh that colour. Looks really nice.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Slow down!:lol: You still have a month and a half.
    ...Or did I miss an E-mail?
    -Never underestimate a hot bit in plexiglas. (That sounded like it should have ended in, "Baby!")
    I thought the stock fan would be a nuisance, but I couldn't hear it with my ear up against it. -Now that I think about it, It was my bad ear, but still...
    Lookin' great, though. 8 fingers to go.

3. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

This.

But, my God you do good work, and quickly. :clap:

4. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

That color combination looks great together, and I like how you made the cooler.

5. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

That cooler looks like you have "borrowed" it from some high-end GPU card! Really impressive work! :clap:

Oh, and thanks for that tip, I will try it out. :)

siliconfanatic likes this.
  6. spO_oks

spO_oks What's a Dremel?

Nice progress Waynio, you'll have it finished in no time! Loving how bomb proof the whole thing looks too.

7. Asouter

Asouter --------

Flippin eck Wayne, now that's what I call progress.

I left this log alone thinking that it would be a lil while before you really got going. Imagine my shock when I see that you're nearly done ... WOW
    The brass is truly gorgeous, don't you dare laquidise it !!!!

I expect your fellow competitors will no doubt put in a protest to the moderators complaining of the use of performance enhancing substances (noting in the rules against this strategy) The progress you have made in such a short time is incredible :worried::worried::worried: LOL

Oh yeah it looks flippin awesome mate

8. TadZilla

TadZilla tadbitnerdy

Nice build! I love the stacking of the parts to build pieces of the case. It adds a lot of depth.

siliconfanatic likes this.
  9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It's a 3 way cross breed of the stock cooler, a titan & my own thinking, the titan is probably the best looking consumer GPU air cooler, I have revised it though now. :)

I know, fits in the palm of my hand :D it's awesome & the brass won't be coloured, I like it too. :)

Not a good idea to tell me to slow down, if I did I might slack off & miss the deadline. :lol:
    Acrylic can be tricky, it's made me want to buy a compound table so I can clamp sheet materials while drilling with fine tuning of moving it about, high on my tools to buy list.
    The bandaged finger is dermatitis in quarantine from the pack & the thumb recovered almost instantly so all 10 are good. :D

Thanks Mos. :)

I'd love a mill but layers work nicely too, thanks Mech, some colour tests will be needed on this because the silver alu does look good with the brass & copper, added turquoise to my dyes, almost got a complete set of main colours for making any colour now. :)

GTX 690 I think it first appeared, I have changed it though because it was too much of a copy on the fin window. :D

:D Thanks spo_Oks, some steps forwards, a big jump back. :lol:

:D Thanks Asouter I know, my motivation was reaching an all time low but this has pumped some life back into it, an awesomesauce transfusion. :lol:

I quit coffee & switched to tea. :jawdrop:
    I've been more focused & mellow since as well as no sleep problems. :)

Thanks TadZilla, it makes a nice alternative if you haven't got a mill. :)

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It's about to change.
    [​IMG]

But it's being improved.
    [​IMG]

And I hope it's not just me who can see a surprised face in the original & a happy face in the remake. :hehe:

This is the original front but with the USB in the correct spot, was 12mm too high so needed a remake, it's a remake so I wanted to make it better looking so it doesn't feel like Déjà vu.
    [​IMG]

But before I found out some errors in the design I bevelled the top & side edges to see how it looks with the internal acrylic panels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I tapped the cooler spacer so it can all fit together now as 1 piece, tapped it half way through from both sides.
    [​IMG]

Here is the original look for the last time before I make the new panels, this is with acrylic panels installed on all 4 sides complete with faulty placed front USB port & upside down HDMI lol.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the revised concept I'm about to make.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big session ahead.

11. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Looking great already. Are you planning to paint the aluminium?

12. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

excellent progress there

13. Cheapskate

I have to admit I liked the original front panel. The square poking out of the top broke the "frame" of the square windows, and it was appealingly asymmetrical.

14. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Very nice. Looking foward to more pics. :)

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I think everyone on here knows my feelings towards naked metal. :baby: Special feelings. Deep, uncontrollable feelings that when i see something like this i just want to..... Erm......:worried:

Anyway, i think it will be difficult to find a colour that compliments the brass. A reddish woody brown maybe? Or maybe just a tiny smidge of black to dull the alu's brightness so the brass really pops out.

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Boorach, not painting but will be applying metal lacquer & dyeing it, I call it lacqodising because it's a really nice alternative to anodising that anyone could do, I still intend to make a guide for it. :)

Thanks Mos. :)

I was feeling I like the new revision but with you saying that & it being that which got picked I changed it again to be a bit closer to the original, I think you helped to make it better so thanks cheaps. :D

Thanks Pranja, things are rolling on again now after the extra design going in. :)

That's what I like about anodising & why I kept trying to work out an alternative since anodising requires dangerous chemicals & a good knowledge of handling them safely, it's transparent so keeps the look of the metal while giving colour control unlike paint which is like thick makeup completely covering the surface of the metal, I'll do a few colours & put a poll up for what people like most when I get to that point. :)

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Final changes.

Entry
    [​IMG]

Current
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Entry
    [​IMG]

Current
    [​IMG]

Entry
    [​IMG]

Current
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been doing a test with a 9v battery on a 100mm white LED strip & opal frosted acrylic, been running for 29 hours so far on a standard Duracell battery & it's still rated as good on the tester but it has noticeably dimmed a bit so would have dropped in volts but still plenty good enough to light the whole floor so I'll include this in the build.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be doing the external panels with 45 degree beveled edges so all the joining sides look near seamless, off I go to do this now. :)

18. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Looks awesome Waynio!

19. Cheapskate

A battery? Why, that's cheating!:lol:

20. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

That is cheating :D