1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News eSports competitor granted pro-athlete visa

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Aug 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

I think there is a difference between this being a legit profession and them being athletes. They are professional gamers, not finely tuned rugby player there are large differences. Its clear that you can make lots of money doing this now, but athletes...im not buying that.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

ITS NOT SPORT! Its no more sport than darts, snooker or tiddly winks. Its a skill game but it is a game! Don't get me started on calling them e-athletes...

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Some people consider a sport something which either requires physical dexterity, or mental skill, so this would apply.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Depends how you define 'athlete.' The OED sayeth: 'a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.' Clearly, while you may need to exercise in order to get your reaction times and general health up to a pro-gamer level, playing LoL is not physical exercise - as draining as competitive gaming may be.

However, other dictionaries have other definitions. The Collins dictionary I have 'ere, for example, says 'a person trained to compete in sports or exercises involving physical strength, speed, or endurance.' It could be argued that eSports requires endurance and speed, if not physical strength. Webster's says 'a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, coordination, stamina, or strength' - and, again, eSports requires coordination if none of the others.

In traditional British English, to be an athlete would be to compete in athletics - and no other sport. Thus, if we go for the traditional definition, eSports would be excluded - but so would footballers, rugby players, golfers, basically anyone not involved in track and field.

The word 'athlete' actually derives from the Greek āthleîn, which is one who competes for a prize. Thus, using the Greek definition, you could argue that entering the National Lottery makes one an 'athlete' in that one is competing for a prize.

My point? Damned if I know. I just like etymology.

6. will_123

I agree it depends on how you define athlete I suppose. I did lots of sports as a youngster and still play rugby now. So that is probably why I see an athlete as somebody with physical attributes.

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

US visa rules can seem alarmingly arbitrary at times. I know a few people who've gone over on O-1 visas as actors. One particularly skilled and experienced example fought for two years to get one, despite being what I considered to be a very deserving case, whereas someone else I'm aware of, who's rich enough to pay an immigration lawyer a lot of money, found it much easier.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

A definition of sport should require the participant to display a large degree of physical exertion. Or perhaps a ratio of calories per second used whilst participating.

9. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

But the point isn't a debate about sports.

League and any other eSport isn't a sport... it's an eSport (hence the designation).

The debate is whether or not they qualify as athletes.

10. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

Eating pies or hot-dogs requires more physical and mental skill than playing computer games. I should know, I play computer games all the time (online, competitively) yet wouldn't ever be arrogant enough to consider this a "sport".

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I was just making a general point, and as others have said, it's an esport rather than a normal sport.

As far as I'm aware there is quite a lot of both mental and physical skill in a variety of games (physical more so when it comes to things like guitar hero/dance mat type games).

12. will_123

Definitely I have had a few burgers that have tested both my mental and physical attributes.

13. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I like playing games but it is the antithesis of what my intepretation of 'sport' is.

Doesn't the internet make your physical location irrelevant for these competitions? If it doesn't then surely it should!

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Ok fine,

The definition of an athlete should include a requirement to display a large degree of physical exertion. Or perhaps a ratio of calories per second used whilst participating.

Anyway the point is these guys aren't athletes, although if they were coming into my country I wouldn't have a problem with them getting a VISA. Its all just a bit of legal loopholey nonsense in order to get them a visa.

Really what needs to happen is for esports to be categorised by the US to make it fit in with their current VISA policies.

15. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I consider an athlete as someone who is physically fitter than the average person, and works on their stamina, endurance AND fitness with the aim of improving their area of expertise.
    and I am sorry but gamers are not included in that. You only have to go to a lan to see that half of the gamers are not fit and conditioned in any way at all.
    I dont know why they have tried to merge esports with sports, they dont work together.
    I would say nearly all athletes could run/wheel a marathon in a reasonable time, i doubt nearly all pro gamers could do the same.

16. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

eSportsman would be the most accurate definition I think. They are not athletes.

17. DC74

DC74 Doh!

I play games, some of them e-games and I'm in shape, Round is shape :p

18. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Any sport where you can be covered in Cheeto dust is my kind of sport. Bonus points if it leaves one hand free...for my Mountain Dew.

19. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

OH COOL THE STUPID IT'S NOT A SPORT ARGUMENT AGAIN.

20. NaThRo

NaThRo What's a Dremel?

What's the problem...?

They aren't claiming to be "athletes" they're "entertainers".