1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Bit-Tech/Intel NUC Competition] Intranuc - Complete --- Final pictures

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 4 Aug 2013.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thank you skip. :)

My kind of electronics really, :D 2 wires going to 4 spots with a switch in between, nice & simple, that's my newb level on electronics. :hehe:

Remade the panels so I'll get them uploaded in a mo. :)

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Latest progress.

Extension button, 8mm ball bearing, 12mm tube pictured next to my previous smallest ball button of 16mm.
    [​IMG]

Not got a protractor, it was the weekend but wanted to make double sure the angle was set correct so made one from a scrap piece from the future. :D
    [​IMG]

Wasn't needed though, the angle was spot on from the machines guide.
    [​IMG]

I officially do not like cutting angles though, rather than the worry about it gripping & flinging it up/down it shuffles it side to side ultra fast, far more difficult to maintain visual focus while trying hard to keep the cut straight. :lol:
    [​IMG]

But I got the result. :D
    [​IMG]

Side panels after a quick rub down with satinising pads (does need more finishing), placed the 8mm ball where it will sit, the size is just perfect for this.
    [​IMG]

Top, front & back.
    [​IMG]

End of session shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got some size tweaking to do on this now so all the edges are close in together for an almost seamless look.

The 9v battery light test is still going good enough to keep the floor lit up but quite a bit dimmer but it's passed 58 straight hours so far so will do even better with a duracell ultra. :D

More soon. :)

3. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Very nice. I like it. :)

4. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Nice progress keep it up!

5. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Looks amazing waynio :) Howcome the leds have to run of a battery? Doesn't the board have a 5v somewhere?

6. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

you're too good at this Waynio...

7. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Looking real good there Waynio!! It's sooo tiny, can't believe it =)

Like your DIY angle btw... a true modder makes his own tools!

8. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

YUM YUM YUM! As always stunning work Mr Waynio.

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Sweet.:D If you used tilt-shift photography, would it look even smaller?

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Pranja & Mech. :)

Thanks Meelobee, with you mentioning that I cut up a USB cable & connected the positive & negative to the LED cable but it did nothing, maybe it needs a resistor or I butchered the cable or something but really it'll be nice to have the light independent from the system, I love how the only internal wires in the NUC is the on board battery & the cooling fan plus I'll hide the on board battery into the base. :)
    The 9v standard Duracell battery is still going 81 hours later keeping the whole floor lit but a lot dimmer. :jawdrop:

:D:blush: Thanks Mos but with so many awesome modders of all methods I could never be too good, I'll always try though. :)

It's currently the same size as a 120mm fan but the same thickness as 2 fans, I had no idea I'd enjoy making small cases so much, looks funny next to stealthlow, thanks quizz. :D

Thank you Mr Combatus. :clap:
    I had to put more effort into this since I got picked, my entry was a quick day of design thinking I had no chance with seeing some of the names of entries so the extra effort is for them also. :)
    I blame cheaps® for me entering. :hehe:

Tilt-shift photography was unknown to me until you mentioned it, think I read you need a special lens but I will get some fun size reference pictures done of it skiing down stealthlow slope. :D

Time to make the edges closer together. :)

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Done a test fit of the NUC & the cooler before I go into getting the edges closer together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a .5 update. :D

12. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Must say that's looking damn fine. Are you going to be going for a flush finish on the screwheads?

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Maki, I'm just leaving them like that until I make the fit perfect & then I'll countersink, I'll also colour them the same as the case so they aren't as noticeable.

Still need to remake a few bits & then shave some bits off here & there so it all fits nicer, then I can start on the base.

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Made the new 2mm cooler spacer to replace the 3mm one, made the new top plate for the cooler, the cooler still needs a few things doing.
    Made the new front & back window panels & done a load of time consuming fine tuning to close up the edges which still need more fine tuning but they are a lot closer now. :D

Blah out the way, some pictures. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More soon.

15. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Micro Titan. :D

So cool.

16. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

looking fantastic man!

17. Wolowitz

Wolowitz What's a Dremel?

Looks really good :)

I'm really impressed about the precision of the cuts you have done on the heatsink plate and plexi.

I don't know if you noticed that, so I prefer to warn you, don't forget that the CPU die and chipset die haven't the same height! Don't forget to use a thermal pad on the CPU die if you plan to keep your heatsink base flat.

You can see the height difference on this heatsink base of a NUC passive case from Impactics
    [​IMG]

It's a detail but it could ruin the expected performance increase of the heatsink mod, considering the hard work you have done on it, it would be regrettable.

Last edited: 22 Aug 2013
  18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Thanks Pranja, Nate & Wolowitz. :)

Got 3 options for the heat sink contact levels.
    Stick with the rough mill drill job I done which works but is very rough. :D
    2 layers stuck together with thermal adhesive.
    Buy a compound table & clamp set to make for better drill milling.

Time to do another session, got to get those edges closed in together. :dremel:

19. Asouter

Asouter --------

Brilliant Wayne, I've been looking through the entries and they all look like full size cases, it's not until other objects are in the pic that you get a real sense of scale. I think your build is the most deceptive.

The cooler looks the business

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Thanks Asouter, I'll have to get a shot of it in my hand, awesomely small, it's only just longer than my middle finger. :lol: