1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Espada

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Zesti, 6 Jun 2013.

1. White-Fox

White-Fox What's a Dremel?

looking really good so far :p

2. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Following this one.

Photo skill level: 'Teach me Master'

I did enjoy the magic fan shot. I'm guessing you either gave the blades a quick flick before taking the shot, blown on the fan with another fan or air compressor, or used a slow shutter speed in combination of the above.

3. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Or a second wire as explained in the thread ;)

4. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

Thanks Ozel! :)

Hehe, thank you perplekks45! And Cheaps'. ;)

Thanks mate! :thumb:

Thank you White-Fox! :thumb:

Heh, thanks stuartwood89! Photo was really really simple to do.. Camera was just on the tripod, I spun the blades a bit by hand and took a photo. I bet anyone can do it with almost any camera. :D

I think this photo was a bit more interesting to capture.. Blades are still and the world is spinning - I guess that's fan blade POV. :hehe:

Thanks Meelobee! The 'No Step' might be part of the theme. I'm still thinking about final colors and I kinda like the look of Lamborghini Egoista. I'm just a bit scared it will be too gaudy.. :confused:

I even took these photos when I thought about the colors/theme:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

But anyway, I have made some real progress on this project. Some parts are now glued and they came out just perfect. However, it's quite time consuming job as I can realistically do only one gluing at a time - glue takes 24 hours to set and I have only five clamps! Plus I can use workshop only on some weekends.. Maybe I should start doing more mods instead of scratch build so things don't take forever and one day to build. :sigh:

Photos are not quite up to date, but they show how the construction will be done. There will be 10x10 mm aluminium tube clued onto sidepanels and other panels are attached with screws on those.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aaaand I have no idea why I took all the photos from the same side.. :duh:

There was also big LAN-party called Assembly Summer '13 last weekend. I ended up taking the HTPC there instead of Espada. I didn't wan't to rush it together (that would have been just crazy push). Plus there was no case modding competition this year. :hehe:

The HTPC has pretty much the same parts as Espada since I basically took the parts and shoved them into Streacom F1C chassis. However I had to do couple changes.. The Noctua cooler ended up being too puny for my APU and I had to get Scythe Kozuti instead. I don't have a good photo of the HTPC currently, but here's it at the LAN-party:

[​IMG]

Yes.. It's that small aluminium box behind the display! It was quite funny to play games since you couldn't even see the system and I still kept the pace on games with other guys rather well. Very happy with the APU.

However, there were some things I didn't like so much. For example the external power brick is just stupid. It's almost larger than a SFX power supply, runs hot, is heavy and adds more cables. Is it possible to switch to SFX power supply for the Espada? I'd love to do some proper sleeving too.. :idea: Just need to find space for it. :p

Another annoying thing is the CPU cooler I mentioned earlier.. I need to get third cooler. Noctua one doesn't have enough cooling power, Scythe one is ugly and I'm not sure if it fits into the chassis nicely. I already started to think about closed loop cooler customized to triple 40mm rad or something.. I really don't know yet.

Here's some more photos from the LAN-party even though it's not directly related to this project..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Crazy lens reflections on this photo, no idea how that happened)

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure Espada will be there 2014. Hopefully I will finish it in time.. :lol:

5. llPsyCholl

llPsyCholl What's a Dremel?

what software do you use to create the drawings?
    Amazing build you have! =P

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Very very nice project & awesome photos, subscribed. :D

7. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

This is perfection!

8. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

Zesti is doing it again !
    SUBBED!

9. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

Thanks llPsyCholl! I'm using (old) Solidworks to do designing and drawings.. I really should upgrade to a newer version, but I don't have monies for that. :D

Thank you Waynio! :)

Thanks quizz_kid! :thumb:

:blush: Thanks KoSoVaR^! :)

I'm going to the workshop today to continue this project. Trying to get final parts glued and rough cut rest of the parts. :dremel:

And by the way, I'm having hard time choosing colors.. I have no idea what color combination to use and I need to get this painted before it's too cold outside. :D Most likely it will have two-tone paint job once again..

10. White-Fox

White-Fox What's a Dremel?

How do you transfered all the measurement's on the aluminium, is it a big sticker or did you glue like a paper on it? :D

11. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

I just print drawings on a normal paper and then glue it onto aluminium with spray glue from 3M. I think it's 3M Scotch-Weld 75. :)

12. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Good to see you are back in business. Looking good.
    will you finish the eterne project?

13. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

I don't know about Eterne.. I switched to HD7970 and PCI-E riser dind't work well with it and then I started to fold and needed more cooling and.. Well, I just slipped away from the project. :sigh: It might reborn as dedicated folding system at some point. :idea:

Lately I've been painting parts for Espada. They are just primed for now, but some of them will get final paint very soon.

[​IMG]

Shame I could only get primer and black paint from the shop.. Still need to get the second paint and the lacquer. :)

14. KoSoVaR^

Shame on you!
    You shouldnt paint that beauty :'(

15. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Wow, the photos are truly amazing.

I look forward to see the hardware fitted inside :)

16. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

I hear that a lot with my projects.. But really, it's extremely hard to get perfect finish on aluminium. I'm no Attila. :D Maybe one day I can make case using only raw materials. :)

Thanks Nikkop! :thumb:

Hardware has been in the Streacom F1C Evo case for a while. Not the prettiest sight currently with messy cables and all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should sleeve those cables and cover PicoPSU before moving everything to Espada. And possibly get better looking cooler.

17. KoSoVaR^

so tiny and beautiful case :)
    Love those ones !

About the finish, tobad you arent able to glassblast them :(

18. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

Yeah, I'd love to sandblast or glassblast those parts. In fact I have a tiny sandblaster, but no compressor or anything else to go with it. :worried:

I just got some more painting done. Now I'll wait for some time, then do quick wetsanding and paint rest of the layers. :) I'll get some photos of drying parts asap.

Vinyl stickers for logos are ordered too... And I made quick color change. Original yellow'ish or gold'ish accent color on the vinyl was looking a bit plain. Now it's orange. :D

Wait, I haven't told you the final color scheme.. :duh: Anyway, it's black | gray | orange. :)

19. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

I ended up not taking too many photos of the parts just yet.. Primed parts are not that exciting. :rolleyes:

So just some misc photos for now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I've got a setup I think would benefit from a design like this, but it's a LOT bigger. Would you be upset if I borrowed some of the aesthetic? You've given me the perfect idea, I just have to put the design together. That is, with your permission.