1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Should I downgrade my GPUs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gcwebbyuk, 28 Aug 2013.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I currently have 2 GTX670 Phantoms running in SLI and powering a Dell U2711 and a Dell U2312.

I used to do a fair amount of gaming - Skyrim, Far Cry 3, BF3 etc and made use of the GPUs.

These days though, due to medication for nerve pain, my responses and vision (blurring and brain not keeping up with fast movement) have gone downhill. This means I am simply not playing games like I used to - they seem to make me more agitated than anything.

I am tempted to sell the two 670s and get something lower powered, spending the cash on some for of watercooling to keep me happy.

What do you think? Should I keep the cards and know that if I ever need the oomph I have it, or downgrade and buy something else?

I would still need a GPU that can handle both screens (Windows 8) and Photoshop CC/Lightroom 5.

If I was to downgrade, what GPU would you recommend for Photoshop? Something nice and quiet would be important.

:confused:

2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

To be honest if you come to sell them now you're going to be in for a shock. They've been selling new for £160 which means you would be lucky to get £150 for them tops.

Is it even worth selling them for that?

I bought one of mine at launch for £314 or so and the second for £270 back in January and I would never sell them now.

3. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

4. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Andy is right the price of 670 is dropped dramatically. Overclockers had the 4GB Asus model for £199 delivered yesterday.

5. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Ah ok, it's because I was looking specifically for the Phantom model. Maybe they have held their value a little because of the cooler.

Hmm.. maybe I ought to keep hold of them then :/

6. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I would keep hold of them, the re-sale value, + the cost of getting another GPU will be a huge hit. You can still use them to power photoshop an run everything you can think of so best would be to keep them currently.

7. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I doubt they will be worth much more than any other 670 given that they cooled pretty well on just the stock cooler.

I mean yeah, maybe £20 more than a regular one but still not enough to make it worth selling and buying something else.

I've not considered selling mine because the performance speaks volumes but I know now that I am in too deep to sell them. Not that I mind, it stops me from losing money :D

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If you don't currently use them, and don't see yourself using them for a while, then I'd look at selling them, even if it's not for as much as you'd like, no point them sitting there doing nothing, some money is better than none.

You could just sell one, get a bit of money and yet still have some oomph if you fancy trying to play a game or two etc.

9. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I have a habit of wasting money - retail therapy kinda keeps me from getting depressed about my condition.

I might advertise them for £200 each and see if I get anyone interested

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

change games,

world of tanks is fairly slow paced, but still a huge amount of fun

11. murraynt

murraynt Modder

+1
    Don't stop playing games if you enjoy them. Just change the style of game. BF3 is frustrating at the best of times.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I'm in very similar boat. Except reason for lack of gaming is due to photography and girlfriend keeping me busy rather than gaming and my left hand. :lol:

I bought my gtx580 on release day for £400. Selling it now would get me around £120, not even enough for a mid-range 760. I don't need money now, any extra would just either be wasted on camera gear or girlfriend. So I decided to keep it and underclock it to conserve power.

In your situation, I'd sell one 670 and keep the other one for times when you do feel better. That's still a good £150 odd back in your pocket.

One game I find easy to pick up, isn't a massive time sink and doesn't require fast reaction time is FTL: Faster than Light. One play through takes 1.5 hr in for normal gamers, it'd usually take me about a week playing it for few minutes at a time.