1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

You're almost guaranteed top notch build quality as well.

On top of that, the Nokia apps available for the Lumia devices are by far and away the best quality I've used, so I'd expect them to do something similar for the Windows RT. Whilst I will look to get a full Windows 8 tablet when I finally enter the tablet scene, there's no reason why Windows RT shouldn't be sufficient for most people tbh.

Whilst we're talking about Nokia apps, anyone know when the 'Amber' update for WP8 will hit for EE users? Nokia have released a load of apps to take advantage of the update, and Nokia owners in other countries have already had it. Don't understand why EE/Orange are being so slow, it's ready to go on the Nokia servers. I'd prefer not to force it manually and losing my data/apps, even if it's relatively simple to get them all back on the device. Similar issue with my old HTC Mozart which my gf now has, that still can't be updated to WP7.8 because Orange haven't okayed it yet!

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The Surface RT cost more than that! And yeah, I love mine but it was way too expensive for the mainstream market. Since the price cut it is doing much better, but it has already acquired the reputation of being a failure and outdated.

The Nokia tablet may offer a fresh start. If they can keep the price down. But frankly I think they should have gone for a 7" tablet at £200,-- tops. It would sell, sell, sell-o-rama!

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I think £299 or less is the price point they need to aim for... £300+ puts it into 'iPad money'...

I know you're the Psych-bod but imo [and from what I've seen in other retail areas], at £299 it might sell, at £300 it won't...

4. Nexxo

Totally. I think that Nokia should accept a low profit margin (like Microsoft should have) and sell it for as little as they can get away with. They don't have to worry about upsetting other OEMs, after all. 10" tablet for £299,--, accessories extra at no more than £20-£50,--; 7" tablet at £149,--. Just go for the jugular.

5. RedFlames

There aren't any other OEMs to upset really... as it stands no-one will touch RT with a very long stick... ASUS et al. aren't really going to be that bothered about Nokia undercutting them in a market they've actively distanced themselves from...

6. Nexxo

That's partly because Microsoft did undercut them. The Surface RT was too expensive, but in build quality it exceeded everything that the competitors built and tried to sell at the same price. If you think the Surface RT was overpriced, check out the Samsung Ativ RT.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The competitors must have built some real cack then, hasn't the Surface RT been a bit problematic ? Or is that more down to problems with the RT version of 8 ?

8. Nexxo

Last edited: 28 Aug 2013
  9. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

So I've just got my first Windows 8 PC; an Asus S400CA laptop. I went with a touchscreen laptop because it does seem to be the most efficient way to use Windows 8.

So far I'm finding a little frustrating with menial things seeming unnecessarily difficult. Just seeing which windows/programs are open and being able to switch between them and things like finding the control panel etc.

Any tips or necessary tweaks you guys would recommend? I think I just need to get used to it like any new interface but I want to give it a chance so I won't be installing a star menu yet.

10. RedFlames

swiping in from the left edge brings up the list of open apps iirc

also WIN + X on the keyboard is your friend

11. Nexxo

Use the usual keyboard commands that you know from Windows 7 (WIN+TAB and ALT+TAB for task switching). They still work.

Open control panel, go to its icon in the taskbar and right-click "Pin to Taskbar". Then it is always available at a single click.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

13. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Barnes and noble have got high quality 9" and 7" tablets going for £150 and £100 and their not flying of the shelves like you'd expect.

14. RedFlames

go too cheap and people will think 'ok... what's wrong with it?'

getting the price right from the get-go is hard, especially with the predisposition amongst the media to dive on any price cut/tweak as a sign of failure or lack of confidence in the product...

15. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

For the Control Panel, all I do is press the Windows key, then type C-O-N. It's usually the first result before I'm finished typing those three letters.

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I have a far more convoluted way to get more particular things onto the Metro Start screen, as I got to know things through run commands first. For anything with a run command, I manually create a shortcut on the desktop, enter the command into the object field (e.g. diskmgmt.msc for Disk Management), then right-click the shortcut and click "pin to Start".

As far as I know this is the only way to get certain items onto the Start screen. Wish it was more straightforward.

Although admittedly, the new Win-X menu covers a lot of the things I would've been pinning there, including Disk Management.

17. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If you go to "Computer" on the desktop, then click "Open Control Panel" in the ribbon you can pin any control panel item to the start screen via right click.

If you click "Administrative Tools" in the control panel it will open a list of shortcuts each of which you can also pin to the start screen via right click. The "Computer Management" tool includes disk management among other handy geeky tweeky functions.

18. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I've pinned the control panel to my task bar, and if you right click that, it lists frequently opened control panel items of which you can then pin to the jumplist.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

The B & N tablets are both good thats the mystery behind that one both have highly rated reviews from major review sites and good reviews from most of the major british and usa press.

20. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Man, I really hate how Microsoft took away our choices. Windows 8 is obviously a complete fail!