1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Finally got my net speed increase, officially its 120, I can push 155 on the right servers

This a nice feeling

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

oooo nice. I can sometimes get about 65 to 70 with our 60 connection but again, servers need to be just right. Looked into the top package but practicalities (wife + cost) stepped in.

3. joe the dishwasher

joe the dishwasher Honk

I'll just leave this here...

[​IMG]

:p

Although I have to point out that is my work connection. At home I'm still on 30 :sigh:

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I can remember dial-up. 12.8 to 56k. When I got 0.5Mb/s broadband for the first time, it felt fast.

Now I'm on 20Mb/s, but I can't say I notice the difference with, say, 10 or 5Mb/s --I don't use streaming that much.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah, the step up from dial up to broadband was amazing. I went from 33.6k to 512k, and it was amazing. No more dialling in, it was just always there and waiting...and ten times the speed.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

:)
    I remember using a download manager to schedule all night off peak downloads to get 20-40MB custom courses for Links 2000. It's crazy that even on my mediocre connection that sort of download only take a few seconds.

I know what you mean about not really noticing modern differences in connection speeds though. I have a consistent 13Mb/s. I can stream HD and files of the size I typically download don't take much more than a few minutes. I'd like faster but I'm hardly desperate for it, especially if it means quite a lot more money for a somewhat incremental FTTC upgrade.

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

My connection is only barely above dial-up. I remember fast internet. I kinda miss it.

But then I stopped using Youtube and such and I can't much tell a difference any more.

8. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I'm so jealous you you b******s.

[​IMG]

9. suragh

suragh Derp

That speed is unnaceptable, I'd be scratching the wall if I had what you have.

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I would be on the phone pronto.

At least with VM you can either call india, or drop a message on community support forums. I got my issues resolves by doing that. Over Utilisation and some other problems.

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

In theory I should be getting 16-18mb, and I do, downloading and stuff is fine 99% of the time, however ping is terrible :(

Sometimes it's fine, but I've yet to go a complete day/evening without it either spiking into the thousands every now and again (several times a minute) or being a consistent 300+ with lots of dropped packets making playing online games very difficult, I'd happily half my speed to get a stable ping.

12. Darkwisdom

I'm actually having an engineer round tomorrow morning to look at it. They told me there were errors and all that, so i'm hoping Openreach can fix my problem. I called them because my landline doesn't work - no dialtone; hopefully i'll kill two birds with one stone.

But you're right, it's an unacceptable speed that I can't really use. Downloading skyrim mods is impossible at the moment, especially since I got my GTX 670; I want to use high-texture mods.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

That downstream is pretty much half of what I get. There are no faults on my line either, that's just it.

14. Darkwisdom

It sucks eh Shirty?

This isn't normally the speed I get. It's normally closer to 3mb/s. I think there is something seriously wrong with the line. The BT Openreach guys were putting in fibre-optic cables for a week or so on my road. It's not available until september-november (no doubt i'll upgrade when it's available, speeds up to 76mb/s! That would be a step up for me XD). I think they've either done something wrong like crossed a line or cut something they shouldn't of. My problems only started when they did.

I apologize for derailing this thread so badly.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Bank approved, Registration of my "unicorn" ride is happening this week, and Leave approved from Thursday through Monday.
    Bring on the surf, the sand, the family and the long awaited car.

16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Just attended an Air Force event, met a crapload of REALLY interesting people. Great start to the day.

But, it's mum's birthday so there's inevitably going to be trouble when I get home (that woman is not happy unless she's unhappy).

17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Mother of ****ing god I got 2 NEC 2490WUXis.

Not only are they massive, but they're beautiful. It's amazing.

18. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Blackbird Industries, Aka; The Ex Homeworld devs from Relic (including the chief art designer Rob C.) have just been given the Homeworld License by Gearbox, on the terms that Gearbox acts as publisher. So Hardware: Shipbreakers, that really homeworld-like game that totally wasn't, is now just flat out a new Homeworld game.

I can't even think up some witty comment about it. I'm that excited.

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

FTFY:thumb: (That's just how mum's are.)

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You can never have too much screen estate. :D