1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Classic Mini - Rolling Project

Discussion in 'General' started by AlexB, 22 Sep 2012.

1. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

So; today I had a plan. I was going to get the engine out of its crate, clean it, split it, check it, then lay out all the bits and bobs I've got on the floor and work out what I still neeed to buy.

I started off getting everything off the shelves, and the engine out of it's box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, removed some junk from the engine - alternator, starter etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then gave the engine a clean (a bit half-arsed tbh).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I started taking the engine apart, I was only going to whip the head off to check everything was tickety-boo, but I was pretty confident that it was as it turned over pretty freely from the crank.

[​IMG]

Whipped the head off, and found...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the head looks manky too..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, now I need to work out what the new plan is.

A bit of a set back!

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Head looks all right to me, that'll clean up.

But the block....DAMN! :D

Think you'll be able to just get one new piston and hone the other cylinders? Doesn't look like there's a massive lip on the tops of the bores.

3. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

It's already a 1330, and I'm not sure I want to go for a 1380 really. Not even sure what pistons they are.

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Course, I forgot it was bored out already.

At least it's still got some value to someone though, with that last bore still remaining.

Believe the pistons are these based on that number on the top.

But yeah, if it needs a rebore, not much use, unless you can save the other three pistons for use in a different block.

5. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Yeah, think it is those ones. Annoyingly the guy I bought the engine from gave me a receipt which has some fancy parts listed - none of which are present. Still, I can't do much about that now.

6. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Nothing too exciting to update you with, really, but I wasn't expecting this so fast:

[​IMG]

Still haven't decided what to do with my engine.

7. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Loving the mini so far, me and my dad did a full re-build of a 1300 cooper, took it down to bare metal and striped the engine down completely. First real project I ever did, still remember taking the engine out by disconnecting all cables etc and unbolting the front subframe from the body, then getting two neighbours round and lifting the whole body off the engine and leaving it sitting there. Was brilliant fun.

8. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Really looking forward to following this. Wish I had the knowledge and skill to do something like this!

9. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Mini is a fantastic way to start, the engineering in it is so simple. Can even buy off the shelf turbo kits and all sorts, very very good way to get into cars as there is almost no electronics.

10. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Urgh.

Nothing much to report really.

My new driver's door arrived from Andy Bellamy, who also posted a great thread explaining how to re-skin a door.

My polycarbonate windows arrived and I fitted the rear three. I'm waiting to fit the fronts as I still need to paint and fit the new door first.

I also tried to fit the new fibreglass frontend (from the Arc Angels), and failed so far. I didn't realise just how much cutting I'd have to do to get it on properly. It's a bit disapointing really, but I suppose it only means it's a job for another day when I have a bit more time to play with.

All in all not a great day - I keep finding more and more rough bits on the car - I already knew it could do with a paint-job, but there's more rust than I realised too. Mini!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might do some more tomorrow, depending on time.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2013
  11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Fibreglass windows?? How do you see through them then? :D :D :D

I've got some big jobs coming up on mine. Engine mounts and front subby mounts could do with replacing. The body is rusting away too in the usual spots, scuttle, A-panel, flitch and door post, rear valance/boot floor edge at the back. Bloody stupid when it had a full new front end in 2007, obviously not waxoyled very well.

Just passed it's MOT with no advisories though, so it can't be too bad, :D

12. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Ha, doh! - Changed that ;) It's been a long day.

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I'll send you a bag of tent pegs so you can lash the car down, to stop the wind blowing it away.

The glass was the only thing giving it weight! lol!

14. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Ha, you'd be surprised actually - it's quite the little fatty. Heaver than my other car!

For now...

15. RTT

RTT #parp

inlets and exhaust on the same side of the engine? genius! :)

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Not really, as it's jammed up against the firewall, and the inlet gets toasty. Alright in the winter as it keeps the carb warm, but hit high temp areas and fuel starts to evap from the carb bowl.

Nothing stranger than watching petrol boil and puke from a over heated carb.

17. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Or the miss-match in thickness to where the inlet and outlet would bolt down, needing to use a stepped washer to get it to tighten properly...

18. RTT

RTT #parp

Neat thinking though, side-effects put aside for a minute! I did wonder what was going on when I saw just the spark plugs on the front of the head. The gearbox also appears to be sort of integrated into the sump as well?

19. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Yup the gearbox is the sump, makes for a very compact engine with a small footprint. Some weird side effects that people have solved with centre oil pickups(lots of oil slosh in corners) and windage trays (stop spray of oil from gears or crank slowing the other down - seriously.)

Last edited: 3 Sep 2013
  20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Not many cars with that arrangement - a good boasting tip for Mini owners is sharing the idea with a Miura. :D

Seems mad that they left the inlet and exhaust at the firewall, why wouldn't you leave it all accessible at the front and shift the engine right back instead?