1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nokia's Chief Designer to Leave Following Microsoft Purchase

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 3 Sep 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Most of the high-value Nokia-employess will leave or allready left Nokia and join Jolla. During the last two years over a hundred former Nokia-developers/engineers allready made this transition.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is it just the skeptic in me that thinks something fishy has happened in the last few days.
    What with Elop leaving M$ to be CEO of Nokia. Only for M$ to later buy up Nokia's mobile arm and Elop to return to the fold.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Not a huge surprise Microsoft brought them out it was this or watch as windows mobile failed and took down nokia with it.

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Will he be Eloping too?

6. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

NOW I AM ANGRY.
    why would you do this to us. foes this mean that I will be stuck with a windows phone variant of nokia awesome cameras. and please don't change the design language of nokia phones.

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Fantastic bit of business, especially with the excellent Lumia range complementing the WP8 OS so well.

With the WP OS being an all round better experience than droid and ios, theres' no negatives here apart from the usual trolls who cannot seem to stop commenting on Microsoft topics even though they hate them so much.

8. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Out of curiosity, how much is Microsoft PR department paying you for making yourself an obnoxious dickwad in every MS-related thread Snips?

We do agree on fantastic bit of business, on Microsoft's part. Lots of investors were practically robbed blind by Elop. There should be a criminal investigation to his actions as a CEO.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Nokia's stock was plummeting well before Elop took over. It has since stabilised and climbed a bit, and actually went up as this acquisition was announced. So I'm not sure how you think investors are robbed blind. In any case, this investor disagrees with you:

Pity the chief designer is leaving, though. He is the one person Microsoft wants to hold on to.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2013
  10. Snips

What SlowMotionSuicide? and you aren't getting paid to be one everywhere else?

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Microsoft has no chance holding him, as he's allready moved to Jolla like most of the other former Nokia-devs and engineers.

Jolla is the official successor to Nokia and not Microsoft.

12. Snips

Argument could also be made that these very same developers and engineers dropped the ball when at Nokia by not being a head of the game. They did the same thing with "flip-phones" a few years ago, it let the door open to so many manufacturers becoming successful.

They also started the smartphone era very late and have had to do something different to remain viable. Now, after so many of these developers and engineers had gone to Jolla, it seems the Lumia range is actually gaining momentum, no matter how much some here don't want that to happen for whatever reason they can think up.

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The devs and engineers were not the ones making the strategical decisions that led to the downfall of Nokias mobile segment. It was stupid CEOs like Elop that made the bad strategical decisions.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Purleaze! Nokia has a history of releasing disastrously neutered or incomplete products due to departmental infighting (they'll fit right in with Microsoft) and stupid business decisions based in fears that one product might cannibalise the sale of another.

If anything Elop has saved the day. Nokia can shed its mobile phone division before it drags the company down into the pit of bankruptcy, and Microsoft acquires a decent mobile division it has the cash flow to turn around again. Everybody wins.

15. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Like the N97... oh, the horror...

Shame to see the designer leave, love my Lumia because of the design. The blue (sorry, cyan) polycarbonate case really makes it for me. It's a pleasure to hold like a handheld device should be, not too large or too thin. Survived a drop from a height onto concrete, too! Try that with an iPhone!

16. Snips

Have you seen them hammering a nail using the 900 screen? Mental

17. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

I disagree that Windows Phone took Nokia down. I have a Nokia Lumia 920 after getting fed up with the same old same old from Apple (i was also not a huge fan of android despite the hardware bieing quite impressive). Out of all the phones on the WP Platform Nokia Offered the best value for money in my opinion especially as HTC were being pushed as the Premium Partner for the platform. To counter this Nokia bundled an amazing suite of software. Perhaps this decision by MS to push HTC instead of Nokia made it easier for them to purchase the Finnish Company before its value increased?

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    :confused:
    Nokia was the "premium partner"...

Tags: Add Tags