1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft acquires Nokia's mobile arm

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Sep 2013.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Not only as a paperplant. Nokia started as a manufacturer of rubber-products aswell, and they're still in the business making tyres, rubber boots, etc. The name of the company stems from the finnish city of Nokia, where the company was founded.

http://www.nokianrenkaat.fi/
    http://nokianjalkineet.fi/

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'm living some 100km away from Nokia (finnish city) and I've got relatives that worked for Nokia there. I tend to think of having a little bit more insight into that stuff than what you can read on wikipedia.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Erm... That link goes to Nokia's own website, y'know.
    I had a Nokia TV, once. It worked great for years, but eventually went fizzzzzZZZZZ-POP and released the magic smoke.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I remember Samsung when it was still crap. Cheap and original, but crap.

But I digress. The reason why Microsoft seems to struggle to launch products worldwide even though it has the infrastructure through Xbox etc. is because none of its divisions play nicely together. Hopefully the reorganisation will change that.

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The question is, what do you call Nokia? Nokias mobile segment or the electronics is not what makes Nokia, but the rubber-manufacturing. The paper-manufacturing wasn't done in Nokia either, but in Tampere.

Nokia is the name of a city in Finland, and every finn older than teenagers relates the company to the city, when the company started to manufacture rubber-products there.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The rubber-manufacturing company is called Nokian, locally it may be known as something else but personally i would refer to a company as its listed on the NASDAQ, or the company's own website.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hey, don't argue with me: argue with Nokia. I'm sure you know much more about the company's origins than the company itself.

9. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

According to an interview on Nokia Conversations with Nokia marketing chief, Tuula Rytilä, MS will be purchasing the license to use the Nokia brand on mobile phones for ten years and outright buying the 'Lumia' and 'Asha' brands.

10. Gareth Halfacree

There's a handy bit of weasel-wording in that interview. "Microsoft will purchase the license to use the Nokia brand on mobile phones for ten years. It will also buy the ‘Lumia’ and ‘Asha’ brands. On smartphones, we’ll be seeking to create a unified brand across Lumia and Windows. But we understand that the Asha and feature phone range will carry on the ‘Nokia’ branding." (My emphasis.)

What isn't mentioned there, but has already been confirmed, is that Lumia and other smartphone ranges won't carry on the Nokia branding.

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

12. Nexxo

So Nokia created a powerful incentive for Elop to sell Nokia at a knock-down price to Microsoft? I'm sorry, I thought he was supposed to be Microsoft's Trojan horse?

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Why are you sorry?
    To what entity did Elop sold Nokia to?

14. Nexxo

And who apparently provided the incentive to do so?

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    To sell to Microsoft? No one.

16. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

So you don't think the contract provided by Nokia gives any incentive to sell?

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    It provides incentives to the CEO to sell the devices division. It doesnt specify to be to Microsoft. That is all Elops decision (pending shareholders approvals).

Speaking of Elop, are you familiar with the term "Elops Effect" after his "burning platform" memo?
    This was what was supposed to happen:
    [​IMG]
    It ended like this:
    [​IMG]

Full analysis here:
    http://communities-dominate.blogs.c...-failed-why-nokia-must-fire-ceo-elop-now.html

The term "trojan horse" is adequate to define Elop as a CEO.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I think what Nexxo is getting at is that the it was the boards decision to sell, they even incentivised there CEO to shape the company into something that could be sold.

The problem is they couldn't sell when the stock price was high as the shareholders would have blocked it, as stupid as it sounds they had to devalue there own stock to a point that the shareholders would agree to the sale.

19. Nexxo

Nice graphs. Now read this and be enlightened.

Elop did not abandon Symbian; Symbian was collapsing under his feet, mainly through the efforts of Nokia's previous CEO Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo. Nokia was giving Symbian and itself a bad reputation with the shoddy implementation of its Symbian phones; this in the context of strong iPhone and Android competitors. Sure, Slop could have milked Symbian for all its worth while shifting to Windows Phone; extract maximum value from it before dropping it altogether. But hat would mean continuing to flood the market with crappy, crappy phones with the Nokia brand emblazoned on it. With such a reputation firmly established, people would not give its Windows Phone offerings a second glance.

Sorry, but Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo destroyed Symbian, not Elop. It was he who ruined a decent platform so badly that it not only killed its future, but damaged Nokia's brand. Elop had to dissociate from it as soon as possible.

Last edited: 28 Sep 2013
  20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Read it when the article was published.