1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory World Wide RAM Prices Set To Increase!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by damien c, 4 Sep 2013.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

2. Matticus

Matticus ...

Ah shiiiii...

Most importantly it is reported that no one was killed, though it doesn't mention about being hurt, seriously or otherwise :/

Not quite as important, but I am in the market for a new graphics card so it is likely I will need another £20~ by the time I get round to buying in a month or so.

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Yep luckily no one was killed.

Wonder how many people are now going to buying shed loads of ram and flogging it on Ebay within a couple of weeks at a higher price than they, bought it for and also I wonder what it's going to do to the price of 2nd hand ram, will it go the same way as hard drives where all prices increased.

I know a few people who sold there 2nd hand drives for more than they paid for them brand new when the prices went up.

4. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Nothing wrong with that, supply and demand at it's finest :)

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I think i am fine with my 32GB in my server, 16GB in my both desktops and 8GB in my backup test thingy :D.

Still, while it is going to increase the prices, at least it is a good news for the profitability of the manufacturers, as the prices were way down for them, next to no margin at all. Well, for all other manufacturers except Hynix. And it still won't reach a 4GB for 200€ price like i paid for Dominator GT's :D.

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Seems Scan has not increased the prices as of yet that much if at all, so might be worth hitting them up if you need ram.

7. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

Don't expect massive price rises like the Thailand floods did to HDD prices or supply: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/04/china-hynix-idUSL2N0H013R20130904?irpc=932

The actual fab equipment has not been damaged, probably a short supply and price shock but it'll go back down in a month or so probably.

8. asura

asura jack of all trades

And I think I read somewhere that this plant had been switched mostly to NAND...

9. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Ironically, I've been looking at upgrading my RAM today. Went on Amazon and saw what I wanted priced at £54.99 but didn't immediately purchase. Did some more browsing before reading this thread, which prompted me to go back to Amazon to make an order before the price hiked. I reloaded the relevant page and the price had dropped to £29.99, so I bought it there and then, naturally. Hopefully it will be honoured.

And yay, no-one died.

Just reloaded the Amazon page and it's back at £54.98!

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That wasn't for crucial ballistic stuff was it?

11. Porkins' Wingman

Nah, 2 x 4gb of G.Skill, to go with the 4gb of G.Skill already installed...

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I noticed a similar change on amazon, for Crucial ram, but they actually changed the quantity - it dropped to around £29, but for a single 4gb stick.

13. Porkins' Wingman

I definitely got an 8gb offer, but I'm preparing myself for a "Sorry, we are currently out of stock of the item you ordered and have cancelled your order for you..." type email. Fingers crossed.

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

So it's going to be around the same price give or take. Just hold off and don't buy. the prices will come down anyhow.

15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Hynix have said damage is minimal and shortage will not be long.

16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

17. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

18. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Or price fixing to make sure their shareholders get return on that portfolio.

They deliberatly stopped production / slowed right down production to outstrip the supply so demand can catch up or match therefore prices go up.

19. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

Its highly unprofitable to manipulate supply like that unless they have complete control of the memory supply. Otherwise their competitors will reap the benefits and perhaps even screw the entire plan by bumping up production.