1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Rome II Total War

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Wozzname, 6 Sep 2012.

1. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Steam in the UK has Rome 2 for £29.99, though ile proably go with Amazon as its better to have a disc for such a large game, slow net at home.

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah that's an EU price fail, has it been discounted? it's 33% off on UK Steam store bringing it down to the £30

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

[​IMG]

Steam seems to forget all EU can buy from Amazon.co.uk, not only UK residents.

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yay, it just came through my letterbox!

EDIT: Bloody Steam won't let me play :(

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I've pre-loaded, just waiting for the 3rd for it to unlock but I have college after work on Tuesday so won't be back home till 10pm :(

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Will have to wait for it to arrive from Amazon.
    Steam € pricing... :duh:

8. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Really looking forward to this game. Have ordered it digitally since, as above, having the physical CD doesn't mean you can play any earlier unfortunately.

I've never been a huge fan of naval warfare, but hopefully that'll change in Rome 2 considering they're both happening on the same map.

9. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Anybody had a read of the achievement list? I just did and I can safely say I won't sleep until this game is out.

10. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

My copy game this morning, just have to wait till 8am UK for it to unlock.

Seems to be a issue with Amazon Disc copies where the DLC email has not been sent out, on the amazon foums its claimed that they ran out of codes.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2013
  11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I had a quick blast with the in-game benchmark this am before work, just to see how it might run.

It defaulted my settings to Extreme, with no vsync and x2 AA, running the bench on those settings gave an average FPS of 25.

I lowered all the pre-sets to the next option down, Ultra, enabled vsync (since I detest tearing) and re-ran the benchmark. This time I got an average of 30FPS, so not a vast improvement but a more tolerable frame rate for an RTS.

I don't know if the game is poorly optimised, if my drivers are the best option (320.17), if the in-game bench mark is actually reflective of in-game performance or if my 580 is finally starting to show it's age.

I'll give the main game a bash later tonight. Anyone else tried this yet and got any performance tips?

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Reduce shadows gives more FPS than in any other game. Could probably run it on extreme with shadows on normal.

13. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

I'm having to wait an extra day for this - GAME messed up on delivery and it looks like I'll finally get my mits on it tomorrow.

If anyone has had a play with one of the Greek City States yet, what is your impression of them so far?

14. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I am definitely going to have to get a new video card - I am missing out on a whole lot of beauty with the settings I have to run on! It sure looks gorgeous at Extreme levels but I can't take the 3fps I manage to drag out of my card!

Not had much of chance to play today but did manage to just beat the prologue without being very tactical! Hopefully once the kids are back at school I can spend a bit more time with it.

15. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Yep, me too. It's very graphically demanding (and pretty, of course!)

I've got fairly good rates at Very High though, so I'll probably stick at that sort of level.

I haven't played the prologue yet, I decided to jump straight into the historical battles (Teutoburg Forest), which proved to be quite tricky! Does seem like an amazing game.

Edit: Oh dear. Just tried to play the prologue and got 5 FPS on the very lowest setting. Seems I'm being hit by the same graphic bug that others are talking about. Will try reinstalling my graphics driver and see if that helps.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2013
  16. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

Received Rome 2 Collectors Edition. Disc 1 and Disc 3 are....

"Blank".

Just great. *explodes with rage*

17. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Very sorry to hear that Wozzname. Who was the retailer?

---------

If anyone's interested, I've got around the graphics issues now. I updated to the beta AMD driver, and also ticked 'Use unlimited graphics memory'. Also some people have suggested setting the unit detail down to 'High'. Doing these things have seen my FPS go up to 25-30 average on 'High'.

There's rumoured to be a patch out Friday so I'm hoping I'll be able to go back up to 'Very High' graphics once that's out.

18. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

Game - I'd ordered the Collector's Edition. The onager and the map are quite nice items as well as the metal (steel/aluminium?) game case. Of all the versions, you'd think the CE one wouldn't have blank discs!

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Probably it will be here when the game arrives.

20. Wira

Wira Spoderman

So I started out my first campaign, and first impressions are good except. . .

what the hell am I meant to do about the squalor modifier for my people's happiness? Literally every building in the game increases it, and it's such a massive penalty that it seems almost impossible to outweigh with other bonuses.

Also I suck at it, but that'll all come with practice :p