1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress *** PHINIX AURORA *** - 12/10/14 - Grand Finale !!! It is done...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phinix, 24 Jul 2012.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks! Those rods look a lot better in real to be honest. It is hard to get realistic colors on photos.

2. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Any new updates Mike? Hope everything is going good...

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Hi Bill. Well, not everything was going good for me lately, but my project is fine, just waiting for me to get my hands on it again.

In a last two months I was super busy, abroad for couple of weeks, then I was sick for another few (bronchitis). Lately I finally gathered funds to build new shed/workshop in my back garden. I had to spend a lot of time working on it before garden was ready for a new workshop. As I mentioned many times during Phinix Cube and Nano Tower projects, I wanted to have my workshop so I wouldn't have to work in my attic. Finally the time has come:) The plan was to get rid of old small soggy shed - it soaks water from the ground and was in horrible condition, previous home owner built it on the ground without any support, so it worked like a sponge, getting worse and worse over the years. Other problem was it was built right in the middle of the garden, which looked stupid and not practical. New shed was going to go right to the end of the garden. That bit was uneven so had to dig out and make even about 15 feet square of wet soil and rock hard clay. When I managed to do that it was time to prepare a base for a shed. I decided to go for a proper one, so ordered tone of sand and over 30 huge cream slabs (missus picked the color and it looks really nice:) Each slab is around 40kg so a lot of weight had to be shifted. I put the sand layer first and then the slabs, working on each of them to be nice and even. Slab base was ready and I could get shed guys to come and put up a new one. Of course old one had to go, so few hummers and chain saw was involved in this process:dremel: Right now at the back of my garden there is a nice brand new shed and old one is away:clap: There was a "small" problem at the end - last week it was raining heavily here in Glasgow, including thunderstorms etc. So when I got a new shed ready I had to quickly shift all the stuff from the old one. Taking all the stuff out to demolish old shed, then putting all in a new one took my the whole day, most of the time working in rain. The result was pretty disastrous to me - next day I couldn't move from my bed. Doctor said I overworked myself - my back was in pain, pinching nerve radicles, horrible feeling. For 4 days I wasn't able to walk. Going to bathroom was like a freaking 30 minutes pain-trips (bathroom is 10 meters from my bedroom:rolleyes:) I fill better now, but still walk slowly, cannot lift anything etc.
    In short, this is why I was busy away from my Aurora:) However, despite all the health problems, I'm very happy with the result - I have a nice workshop where I will be able to continue my Aurora project and all the following ones:clap: Yep, already have few ideas for a new projects:naughty:
    Now, I'm not fully functioning but I want to show you some bits that I have done about month ago I think, just before I got sick. Not much but it will show you some new ideas I "implemented" in Aurora:) Plus will show you the photos of new shed!:D
    My mum is visiting us for a next couple of weeks and this weekend (if my back will let me) we will go to wee trip to London and Legoland (my daughter is going to kill me if I won't take here there - I already had to cancel trip to Disneyland in Paris this month because I was sick, so you can imagine her frustration:) In a week I should be ok to move my modding stuff to new shed and start working on Aurora again.
    My apologies guys for this few months delay but I'm back and ready to to grab my dremel again!:D

Last edited: 31 Jul 2013
  4. WaRn00b™

WaRn00b™ bit-tech addict

That sounds pretty hectic there bud. Glad to hear you and your new shed are sorted now.

Good luck with the rest of the build. :thumb: :rock:

5. mnpctech

No worries, Take it easy and relax Mike.. Look forward to seeing the creativity that comes from your new workspace in the shed :dremel:

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Rest and let us entertain you for a change.:D

7. TadZilla

TadZilla tadbitnerdy

No need for apologies! It is a privilege to see your work, not a right. Take it easy and have fun with the family. :)

8. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

that looks radonkolous :D!

9. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

UPDATE ??!! NO WAY !!!
    ...yes way:D

Guys thank you all for your patience. As I mentioned before I was pretty busy/sick/away for last couple of months, that is why Aurora was collecting dust on my attic. I had to finish all planned "summer projects" before I could start modding again. During last two months (weekends only cause I'm unable to do anything during the week due to work;) I have made concrete slab base for a new shed, got rid of old one, got new one on new spot, made a nice concrete slab patio in the place of old shed and cleaned up my attic (a bit, most of the stuff is still waiting;)
    So please let me start this fresh update with photos of steps I went through to moment I could grab my dremel and start working on Aurora again:)

First, everyone who was fallowing my logs saw my old shed in my back garden.

[​IMG]

Back then I could only work outside that little rotting shed. You can see there is a wee garden in the back - previous owner had some kind of flowers or weed or something there. Totally unused spot. So I decided to get a new shed right there. Ground was uneven, like a small bump, so had to dig it all out first and make it even, before I could make this slab base.

[​IMG]

It wasn't easy - it was made of stone hard clay and lots of roots, old broken slabs, rocks, bricks... I was so happy I didn't dig out some body parts...;) I dug out some old brick with a date on it - 1947...
    So I was digging it out day by day, slowly getting to the back end of it. I decided to leave a meter long space behind for some stuff in the future, so here was finished spot.

[​IMG]

Then I ordered tone of sharp sand, 31 cream concrete slabs and in one weekend I made this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then few weeks after my brand new shed came, guys built it in 40 minutes:)
    6x12 feet beauty. I could only have 6 feet wide cause that ground was pretty narrow and the end. So made it 12 feet long, perfect for my new workshop:D

Guys also took the old shed, using chain saw they took it down - it took them about 2 hours to do that - looks like destroying isn't so easy then creating after all;)

On the photo below you can see new shed in place, then old shed bits left and all my stuff outside - it was raining right after they finished so I had to quickly cover all my stuff then take them inside new shed. I was sick after this for couple of days, got cold, back pains and everything. But it was worth it:)

[​IMG]

...and my new workshop:D

[​IMG]

...and I have a window!!! :D

[​IMG]

Next step was to get rid of all the rabbish after old shed, plus some old fance that my "fantastic" neighbour left on my side when he was building a new fence on his garden.. don't ask...:duh:

[​IMG]

During this time my mum was visiting us, so she helped us with all the work - my wife, mum, daughter - all were working... under my supervision:D
    Spot was cleaned and I shifted all the rubbish to local recycling center.

[​IMG]

After another weekend, new patio was made. Again, I had to order tone of gravel, slabs, 10 bags of mortar etc... It was nice sunny day, so I was making thispatio, while my lovely family was making a BBQ.. there is nothing better from having a beer and nice grilled polish sausages after hard work...:naughty:

Here from bird's view - new patio in the middle of garden with a nice wooden picnic table... plus blue trampoline... little one wanted to have something for her in new garden too...
    You can also admire some clean drying underwear of my neighbors on both sides;)

[​IMG]

Last weekend was a time to finally do something in my new workshop - I needed a strong work table. So I took a trip to B&Q again and got myself a nice kitchen worktop and some timber for structure. After couple of hours and about 40 used screws, table was ready.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK! So that would be it! I know that for someone who does things like that all the time, these are nothing, but believe me - being IT my whole life - making such a wee "construction jobs" was pretty a lot and I'm really proud of myself:D

Now, getting back to Aurora. Here is a quick shot of Aurora chillin on a new picnic table, just before it was taken to the new workshop:D

[​IMG]

Now actual update on the project. Short one, cause I just started working in my new place.
    It is time to finish up front radiator cage and make main right wall mounted solid.
    You can see radiator stands lying on the edge of the case - it is uneven, so I had to do something with it before I could go forward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After couple of minutes with my huge file... hehe.... well, not to embarrass anyone.. it is average size really... :D
    ...edge is sorted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the right wall. I had to make an entrance to the back of the drive cage, so cut out a hole in the back - it will be covered with piece of aluminum at the end - moveable of course, so I could easily have access to drives cables.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, to make this wall steady as a rock, I had to fabricate small support bricks - white acrylic of course, 10mm thick. I had one spare drive shelf that I used for those....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..and with nice rounded edges...

[​IMG]

Last bit I wanted to show is this top cover/section/balcony for dvd - it will be mounted on top of the drive cage blue acrylic rods. I will explain this later when will be mounting it.
    Right now, photos of cut out fro white 3mm acrylic sheet all the bits. Those square holes are right for those rods, so you can imagine how they gonna go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is about it for now. I'm off tomorrow, busy most of the day but will have few hours in the workshop to do some more steps. Will show that too of course. And the new weekend is coming quickly, so will be working on Aurora again:thumb:
    Thanks for watching guys! Mod on! :dremel:

Ow, forgot to mention it.
    Do you guys remember that I also said I will be modding the keyboard that Cooler Master kindly sent me?

So here is first part of modding - key caps.
    As a real hardcore IT, I had a sweet Commodore 128 in the past - those were days..
    That is why I wanted to make this keyboard (Cooler Master TKL Quickfire Rapid) to look like an old Commodore keyboard. There was one crazy GroupBuy on keyboard enthusiasts forums that was called "Retro DSA" - and I took part in that GB.
    Here is the result, ENJOY! :blush:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Til next time! This time, really soon!:D

10. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Well Keep the pictures of your shead. I used to have a garage but now it has turned in to a storage locker! So keep your pictures handy you'll need them.

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nice drive cage.:D It's good to have you back.
    I forgot the old keyboard color separation/function thing. This seems more appropriate since we're going back to mechanical key switches. Did the klackety-klack trigger this?
    -I'd die if I only had that much storage space. -Seriously, I'd be crushed under the weight of my stuff.
    So which neighbor is the dumper? -The one that only painted the side of the fence he sees, or the former gypsy?
    -and why are you taking pictures from your neighbor's house?:lol:

12. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

I love the keyboard remake. So beautiful.
    And while the shed might make a small workshop, it's still a workshop. Many modders work in their kitchen/bathroom/etc. Horrible places to mod. You learn to settle with just the smallest half decent place that can be called a workshop - I know I did/do.

13. mnpctech

awesome job on the new workshop, can't wait to see more progress Mike! :thumb:

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

well worth the wait. I hope the new shed means more frequent updates! :lol:

15. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

[​IMG]

Do want those "Commodore". Do NEED them :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: .... well I have to start building my Amiga keyputer first :'( ... need time, desperatly need time ... and tools :'(.

Great job mate, as always :thumb:

16. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks guys for your comments!
    I've been doing some bits everyday now, it is so easy just to go to shed and do some work and get back home when finished, without the whole process of cleaning, putting all items back on place etc. I can go back there and continue straight away:D

Haha!:) Yes, that is that former gypsy on the left:D
    I did the photos from my home - see, we live in cottage house, so there are two levels - lower and upper flat. Those photos were made from my room window, on the far right of our flat. Back garden is split on half longwise, left side is ours, right side is lower flat's.

17. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Hi guys!
    Time for new update.
    It is SO much easier to work on projects when I have a dedicated space for it.... sweet shed:)

So here it is!
    As I showed them before I drilled those holders and hot-pushed inserts.

[​IMG]

Here they are attached to the radiator cover wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I fabricated another two... for other side - to mount front side of mobo wall...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are both sides mounted with those holders. Steady as a rock:)
    Please have in mind that those screws and nuts I use now will be replaced with nice silver dome nuts and bolts, which I even may paint white at the end. Those I use now are just temporary. Same for rivets - have some black leftovers, so use them for now - I already have white rivets for final finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also fabricated these 4 front panel holders, but will use them later - front panel will be mounted way after:)

[​IMG]

Now, this is.. door.. let's call it a door:) Door to the rear of drive cage/shelves.
    It has a nice round hole, which will be a gap where all cables+wres will go to the back of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, I had to drill and cut out holes for cables/wires that go to the mobo...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..and all holes done.

[​IMG]

Also mounted this blue acrylic pass-through bit for 24 wire mobo cable.

[​IMG]

..and more holes for cables/wires that go under the mobo...

[​IMG]

Now, here is a white/opal slim drive shelf I showed before - just a mockup, so you can see how it will be mounted. I need to do some wee adjustments to it and fit in dvd drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had some left overs of mesh I received from Bill from MNPCTECH when I was working on Nano Tower. I cut out a nice rectangle and pushed it in the radiator cage. It will be mounted with double sided tape, nice and clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is all for now. Thanks for stopping by:thumb:

Next thing I will be working is that dvd mounting thingy. I noticed that top line of the internal case is too high, so need to cut off a bit to squeeze a dvd there.
    After that I will finish drive cage - need to solder those leds that go under each shelf and mount those shelves in first place.

Stay tuned:thumb:

18. WaRn00b™

WaRn00b™ bit-tech addict

Looking good! Glad you're back! :)

19. mnpctech

20. Egami

Egami Why is the dremel on fire?

This mod has to have the best shed ever :D

Subbed for the epic case modding madness. Those acrylic rods look like they're made of ice.