1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Are you a Bit-tech lurker? Get in here and explain yourself!

Discussion in 'General' started by Shirty, 5 Sep 2013.

1. Williz

Williz Minimodder

Not a bad idea, I think I may have to. Already done a full engine flush and filled with nice clean oil + new filter.

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I'm still active. I go through stages. This year I've moved house and we have a baby on the way, and been pulling mental overtime on several projects at work, so the little spare time I have had I've been de-stressing with Diablo 3 / Dishonored / Borderlands 2 / Planetside 2.

Edit: at 0.67 posts per day over 12 and a half years of forum membership I think I'm doing OK.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

You were the 11th ever member, you win.

4. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

i first registered and lurked back in '02 or something, but i lost the details for my account and that email address a long time ago. current account is registered since '06, and i started posting a little over a year ago, mostly in the DayZ and mech keyboard threads.

At a post a day I'll be here for some years before i'm not considered a lurker ;) but i think I've been pretty active in certain parts of the forum for at least a year.

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

You have these little blitz moments... normally at work, where you want to post on everything. But then I'll go home and forget bit-tech exists because my cat is so ****ing annoying + more work and deep down, I just want to be a dick to people for cheap laughs, but can never muster the enthusiasm to be that much of a troll and genuinely don't have the bone in me. So I end up writing normal responses to normal things and feel disappointed in myself for not being an arsehole enough on the internet: because that is why we're all here right?

6. adrock

i read/post when i'm at work, but when i get home i'll log on to mumble and forget about the forum unless someone mentions it.

It's been weeks and I've yet to remember to grab a screen capture for the guess the film thread.

7. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that, stand in the corner with your hands on your head FT

8. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

Total posts: 333, 0.21 ppd. Oh the shame.

I guess the main reason I don't post more is because it takes a lot of effort. Just reading this thread has taken most of my lunch hour and writing this response has took a good chunk of time too. The quality on here is very high. I have to triple check my post and make sure I've crossed all my t's and dotted all my i's because a grammar ninja will be lying in wait. There are so many experts on here normally on both sides of an argument. I tend to think I know quite a lot about hardware and tech but sometimes you can feel a bit of a noob. E.g. I found out recently through the forum that I didn't have my PC connected to the fastest port on my router, how stupid is that? Also sometimes you don't get a response in a thread, which is a bit demoralising, but I guess that's because there are lots of other lurkers too that can't be bothered to reply.

I also have a terrible memory, so I easily forget what posts I've made and to follow them up.

Now I've ran out of lunch hour and don't have time to post about Raikkonen going to Ferrari in the F1 thread, damnit! It will be old news by tomorrow lunchtime

9. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

"Post Quick Reply", the irony.

Also, I don't think anyone get's my jokes

10. adrock

that's cool, I don't think anyone's noticed i've made any ;)

11. Shirty

Protip: got to your UserCP, click on "Edit Options" and under "Default Thread Subscription Mode" ensure you have at least "No email notification" selected. Save at the bottom. Then every time you visit the forum go straight to your UserCP and all the threads you have posted in will be highlighted for you. Never miss a response again.

Apologies if you already do this and I'm teaching you to suck eggs. :)

I have ;)

I see and understand everything. :worried:

YEHBABY likes this.
  12. adrock

aj si wət ju dɪd ðɛr

i love the way that looks written down :)

13. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

I have now set it to "Instant email notification". Only time will tell if this becomes annoying

14. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

It's just so much easier to read than to post, formulating posts takes far too long with social skills as low as mine. On the occasions I do start writing posts, I often get interrupted and then completely forget about it.

15. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Ya have now. :worried:

I, like a few posts up above, simply have nothing interesting to add to conversations. And the posts that actually interest me,
    I don't have the intelligence to actually post anything of relevance or, at least at the moment, the time to LEARN about those
    things and be able to post. :blah:

So I just lurk. And sometimes buy stuff on the MP. :)

Last edited: 10 Sep 2013
  16. Shirty

Reasonable lurking skills, but I still recognise both of you. You'd have to be a hardcore lurker for it to be any other way tbh.

17. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I joined in 2010, although I've been visiting the site since late 2005. I've been more active on other forums over the years and this one is more UK focused, so I was more active on US forums.

I mostly post and follow the Lol Videos of Awesome thread, although I have a few worklogs that I've posted here too.

I, like most people, usually have great ideas for killer mods, but know that I don't have the money to execute them the way I would want them to be done. But I have a "someday" bin with some really awesome computer parts that will go into a really awesome mod someday. Think: Dieselpunk.

18. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I'm still a lurker god only knows how i got so many posts BUT I'm not as bad as the spammers like Mr Shirty!, Kid (the worst) and his side kick Blazza (who i haven't seen for a few months!

19. Malketh

Malketh What's a Dremel?

Most of the time when I find a thread I can add something to I find that somebody else has already said what I was going to. :(

20. Shirty

Flame you definitely aren't a lurker by any stretch of the imagination! Malketh is though :thumb: