1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable iPhone 5S and 5C Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atc95, 10 Sep 2013.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

or get so hammered you forget which digit it's set to recognise and lock yourself out of your phone [i can see it only allowing a few wrong attempts like passcodes/PINs]

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You are probably asked to "enrol" several fingers as backup (as is the case with most fingerprint scanners).

The fingerprint sensor is cool. You could in theory incorporate that in he iPad too, and have different accounts/user profiles associated with different fingerprints. Besides that, it is typically Apple: meticulously designed and built, insanely expensive.

Personally I just switched from an iPhone 4 to a Lumia 920. £200,-- on eBay for outright ownership, not tied into contract. It is everything I need and nothing I don't need. The OS is really rather nice --lots of intuitive neat little features that only become apparent with use. App selection is surprisingly decent. I think WP8 is much misunderstood and unfairly maligned.

I think that no smartphone should cost you more than £200,--. It's a tool, not jewellery.

3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Agreed. Also, when you consider the HTC One 32GB can be bought new and sim-free for a shade over £400 the iPhone just looks horrible value.

Mind you, next to the Nexus 4 everything looks horrible value.

5. Shirty

That's the handset cost in a 2 year contract AFAIK.

6. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

That's a with contract cost.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

That's $399 on a contract, the 'unlocked and contract free' option is $849 [further down the page]

EDIT: Ninja'd by mucgoo and shirty

8. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I paid £99 for my teal Blackberry Curve 9320.

When it comes to value? well, £99 for an unlocked sim free phone. I can get my emails (all of them all tied into one neat inbox) Facebook, Yahoo and so on.

I then pay £5 a month for the Blackberry bolt on that gives me unlimited Blackberry Messenger. My fiancee also has it, so I don't need to text any one. I also get 500mb which given that BB internet is all compressed that means about 4gb of regular Android type data.

Needless to say I spend no more than £5 a month. That gets me constant access to all my email accounts, Facebook Yahoo messenger and everything else I would have done on my old Android phone.

That is what I consider good value. Anything more? it starts getting expensive fast.

/boring old person.

9. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Ah I see. Wonder what our handset charges will be on a 2 year contract then if US customers are being charged 400 bucks?

10. Shirty

Too much. But so many are locked into the Apple ecosystem having used it for years, and most won't consider their alternative options for that reason.

Apple make great products, but they are simply too expensive for me.

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I pre-ordered the 5 this time last year as a good upgrade from the standard 4. Now, having got an iPad also, I don't think I want another Apple phone. I've got the iPad to get my Apple apps and iTunes on the move.

Think I'm ready for my first bash at Android but don't have to worry about it for another year because of the epic contract length...

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Same as they are for the iPhone 5 right now. UK carriers subsidise more heavily than US carriers. The 5S will cost you about £150 on a 2 year contract at the £35-40/month mark.

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

i should have specified 720p@120fps. the viewty's QVGA 120fps video recording was a nice novelty, but it was still at a time where cell phone video quality was pretty much a joke.

i'm expecting to see amateur sports videos look much cooler once the 5S is commonplace

Embed vimeo video

this steadicam setup + 120fps 720p video = Cheesecake

14. rollo

rollo Modder

If the 5c is free on contract it gets a tick that's how most phone companies look at it anyway.

Apple was never going to offer a £300 phone off contract just was not going to happen. Apple will at least give us some sales figures in the next few weeks which is more than can be said for others.

The iphone 4 if its still sold is its cheap phone 5c will be mid range leaving the 5s for high end this was rumoured to be the plan when it got published a month or so ago.

Apple has never disclosed a CPU on its launch it leaves it to others to work out, anandtech will have it solved by lunch. It shows the odd benchmark that shows its faster that's about it though.

Wether or not its a phone for china which is who it is aimed at time will tell. Smartphone market in developed worlds is super saturated be shocked if apple and Samsung can still sell 30mil+ high end devices this coming quater. Everyone in my family owns one these days and I'd bet that's the same for alot of family's now.

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I haven't seen anything about the new models yet (BF3 and work had my attention last night ;)) but all I can say is that I'd be happy with a 5 being slightly less ridiculously priced once the 5S and 5C are out, because my 4 is dying fast and my contract renewal isn't up until March, so I am sort of desperate to get it replaced ASAP but also completely unwilling to buy a 32GB 4S or 5 handset considering the price. I'm trying to get my hands on a free Vodafone locked 32GB 4S to get me to March, which I'll have to unlock to put my o2 SIM into.

16. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

source:http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24034507

Sums up the amount of meh....... I am sure the fan boys will love it. But I feel the rest of the world has started to move on.

17. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I feel the rest of the world already has moved on, but it's not just fanboys who will buy the new Apple smartphones, it's people like myself who have been iPhone users since literally the beginning (first iPhone arrived on my doorstep on 15/11/07 - I still have it) and have more than "fanboyism" keeping them with iOS. I had a good play with a Galaxy S4 a couple of days ago and absolutely loved it. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if the other things keeping me with Apple were in any way negotiable, the biggest of which is App support and already-owned applications. For me to move to Android now would be silly but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate and admit that Samsung have moved on leaps and bounds and are starting to design and produce iPhone beating handsets.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

Apples share price goes up and down like a yo yo and would pay little attention to it was below $425 at one point this year.

19. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Will apple try and patent the humble finger scanner on a phone?

The tech has been around donkeys and hasn't ever really caught on mainstream, could be its ideal product to feature on.

20. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

This for me as well.

Also with my contract hopefully being negotiated to include 2 more years my 64gb iPhone will be coming with me.

Oh and slowmo video support excites me, I love the iPhone camera, the 4S has really impressed me for the last two years so I will follow the iPhone 5S as I have since the 3G.