1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2013 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 11 Jan 2013.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

McLaren, replace Checo...

Not going to happen, but Perez has hardly been a success, he seems to be able to go faster than Button, or finish the race, but not both. At current rates he's likely to finish the season with a third or even a quarter of Button's score, not good for constructors points.

Massa at least is a reliable finisher and point scorer. Ditto Hulkenberg, his points haul would probably outweigh Telmex's contribution by quite some margin. Or Di Resta, or JEV...

Alternatively, Porsche should snap him up for Le Mans, him in one car, Mark in the other, although that may be tempting fate.

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

If i was Massa i would be already looking at Indycar. :)

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Me too. Massa is one of my favourite drivers for that reason - he came within a hair's breadth of being a driver who would go down with the greats, yet took defeat immensely well. Coupled with his immense battle to get on form again after his accident, he's a very likeable chap. But the Ferrari fairy-tale wasn't going to last forever, it's just whether he can find a decent seat for next year... Hopefully he can.

So, that leaves the big question. Who's going to Ferrari? Will it really be Kimi?

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Ok, here it goes, bookmark this to check my predictions when things kick off next year :lol:

McLaren - Button,Perez
    Ferrari - Alonso, Raikonnen
    Mercedes - Hamilton, Rosberg
    Lotus - Hulkenberg, Grosjean
    Force India - Di Resta, Massa
    Toro Rosso - Vergne, Valsecchi
    Sauber - Sirotkin, Coletti

I'm going to be completely wrong and Alonso will take a year out with Ferrari being Raikonnen+Di Resta but hey, gotta have a crack right. Anyone else fancy a go? lol You watch, there will be some big surprise annoucnement that Honda (or whoever) actually come back with a team and throw all predictions out the window :lol:

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'm holding out for another 2009, where we see an unusual team at the top of the time sheets. It'd rekindle my interest in the sport to be frank.

6. Krikkit

There is a possibility of that Shirty, although with the curtailed aerodynamic changes it makes it less likely. Chances are we'll have a shake-up of the engine manufacturers being almost perfectly level with each other though - one will be better in qualifying, cold races, hot races etc, plus development as the season goes on. :)

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Its a massive shame Massa is currently driveless but i honestly cant see that lasting, Lotus would be a nice slot and its a competitive car currently but i think he may end up at Sauber where he began as mentioned, itll be a shame but he is Mr Consistent and at times produces amazing drives. I think he just needs some gentle coaxing to get back into his old ways you still see flashes of it id say Rob Smedley is trying hard to help just the nature of Ferrari isnt helping him get the most out of the car.

8. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Good point, couple it with the colossal KERS (or ERS) change Williams could be a surprise as they've had the best system for a few years apparently (unless I'm confusing that with DRS but I'm pretty sure it's the KERS). If nothing else the new ERS will make for a lot for overtaking action.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Yes, Massa was circling the drain a bit, but it is saddening. His grace in 2008 especially makes him quite likable.

I am really in two minds about what happens next.\
    Hulkenberg to Ferrari would be good for everyone.
    Kimi to Ferrari would be LEGENDARY for Ferrari (provided him and Alonso don't behave like Lewis and Alonso in 2007), but Grosjean and Hulkenberg, while young and eager, would probably (stonedsurd IS right about this) put Lotus int he midfield next year (as the season progresses at least). And I'd hate that.

10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

He's practically married to Massa. Will likely move with him, unless Ferrari insists he stay (which would be unusual but not unprecedented).

Doubtful. If Sauber cannot afford The Hulk, they can certainly not afford Massa. Unless Sirotkin's backers bring enough cash for development and a proper driver's salary.

Um, he and Ferrari, atleast from 2010 through 2012 had the most sickeningly cloying love affair. It's only after 3 win-less years that the sweetness appears to be wearing off. And at all teams prior to McLaren, he was very well liked.

I'm not defending his conduct in 2007, but a 2x WDC has expectations. Whether these expectations are reasonable or not is another matter, but it is clear that they were not contractual and they were certainly not met by his team. Which is why when he joined Ferrari, his expectations were made clear and there has been little friction.

If they do sign Kimi, Ferrari will not make the mistake of favouring one driver early on. They will run them as they did in 2007-08 - with both drivers starting off equal and then taking a call on #1 around the summer break. Don't forget, Kimi was an excellent team player in supporting Massa's title bid in 2008.

If the plan backfires, sure. But can you imagine a WDC+WCC for Ferrari next year? They will worship Kimi and Alonso forever.

FI is not likely to ditch Sutil. If anything, they're likelier to give PDR the boot. Massa driving there does make sense, as would a contract at Lotus, for his developmental input for the new car.

Sauber is the real unknown at the moment - I think it would be foolhardy to run two rookies in such a crucial development year.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I too have been mulling it over and I'm more upset by Massa's departure than I expected - He's had his ups and downs but has been stagnating in Alonso's shadow - a product of being designated rear gunner and offered no real support. I do hope he gets a Lotus drive and out-performs the Ferraris. In fact, I'd like him to get a Sauber drive and out-perform the Ferraris!

I think most engineers stay with the team, so I'd be surprised if Smedley goes too. However, I can't see him gelling with Kimi, so it is possible he might look to move on. I like him - I find his occasional remarks over the team radio somewhat comforting - I'll never forget "Felipe, baby, stay cool", nor will I forget him apologising to Massa for instructing him to let Fernando past.

Despite all this, I'm really looking forward to 2014, if only because it offers a chance that RBR will not be dominant.

12. Krikkit

I reckon Smeldey will be a package deal with Massa. Whatever he does, I want to hear him on the radio! He's one of the few interesting race engineers imo.

13. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Couldn't agree more, Smedley is one the stand out characters in F1 today. As mentioned 'Felipe baby, stay cool' was a classic adn he even managed to sound amusing with the team orders message. 'Well done and very magnanimous, you wont have a clue what that means so ill explain it to you later'. I was gutted for Massa, annoyed at Ferrari and laughing at Smedley all at once.

14. Krikkit

It's done!

The worst-kept secret of the silly season, and something I said definitely wouldn't happen... 1 year deal with options, so he's not committed for ages yet. We'll see if they self-destruct being in the same team. :D

Let the shuffling begin!

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I can see it now:

Alonso: *lots of swearing and ranting in spainish/italian*
    Kimi: ....
    Alonso: *more of swearing and ranting in spainish/italian*
    Kimi: ...
    Alonso: *yet more swearing and ranting in spainish/italian*
    Kimi: ... *shrug* ... I don't like you ... *walks off*...

16. David

We know Massa is out and Kimi is in, but have we had confirmation that Alonso is definitely driving in F1 next year? Kimi's one year deal would line up well with Alonso's rumoured sabbatical, and it would answer the concerns that the two of them in the same team wouldn't make a good fit.

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'd say this is pretty conclusive...

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/09/11/kimi-raikkonen-ferrari-f1-2014/

18. David

Wow, it's like Alonso's year at McLaren all over again.

Alonso will reprise his Princess Stompyfoot role, and Kimi can play the smugly satisfied team mate.

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

20. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I think everyone's setting a little too much store by the past. Alonso and Kimi have both grown (don't forget, Kimi's departure was acrimonious). They'll sort their sh*t out and get on with it.