1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Are you a Bit-tech lurker? Get in here and explain yourself!

Discussion in 'General' started by Shirty, 5 Sep 2013.

1. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

you need to be faster :thumb:

haha!

2. lava

lava Minimodder

I definitely tick that box (just checked my avg post count)

I'm a sponge, pick up a lot of info lurking in these here waters :thumb:

3. Malketh

Malketh What's a Dremel?

Humorously as I was sitting down to reply this I ended up getting distracted by 'work' for 2 hours.
    That's how the lurking starts. :)

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Back in 2001 this place was different, but then so was the PC industry. Modding was edgy and unique, now its mass market. Its a shame, so much creativity was lost.

seebul likes this.
  5. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Agreed! My ideas for mods used to be a lot of, how do I use foam, bondo, steel cutting tools, sheet styrene, auto parts, model plane parts, PVC tubing, and anything else I could scrounge up to make a really awesome case out of a pretty lack luster beige box.

Now I think about what a really amazing mod might be and it usually starts with a concept, then immediately moves to making a shopping list, then getting depressed since I don't have any money, but that's beside the point.

The fact that it moves from idea to shopping list instead of tinkering or working is a bad thing.

Not that there aren't any incredible mods or scratchbuilds anymore, there are still plenty, and those that are truly incredible are arguably better than ever.

However, most mods that get a lot of attention, and especially get sponsorship, seem to be fairly simple paint jobs with a well composed assortment of off the shelf bits.

6. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I joined, posted copious amounts of rubbish, then became a lurker. I think I may be internetting slightly wrong :hehe:

Edit: In case anyone is wondering (I know you aren't but I've been up for 3 hours so you're damn well gonna listen to my ramblings :D), I don't post much anymore because of a change in work role. I went from being a general shop/retail guy to essentially the only technician/engineer. (It's a small family run business). So from barely doing anything all day I went to being superawesomemegabusy. For example: yesterday was my day off (read: not at work, at home shouting at the dog/looking after the kids), the day before yesterday I was looking at 10 different computers/laptops, building 2 very different new computers with 11 repairs waiting to be looked at. Current working day wait to get a repair looked at is 2 days meaning today everything I was doing on Tuesday needs to be finished and everything booked in for repair yesterday needs to be started. Then in my spare time (you know when I'm having food/drink or having a breakdown in the corner) I have to answer such questions as "Would you recommend overclocking on the stock cooler?" and "How do you power a SATA hard drive?". No, those questions were not asked by customers :thumb:

So I don't really post much anymore :(

Last edited: 12 Sep 2013
  7. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Similar situation as noiz, the job changed. I used to have hours a day where I could procrastinate merrily, not the case now. I still access most days but don't have the opportunity to look at as much as I used to or the time to respond very often.

8. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Work??? what is this 'work' you talk about??

9. seebul

seebul Minimodder

I've been reading Bit since I was 13, I'm now 22 :O time flies.

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Modding has moved on man!

I still miss the old times mate. I probably cost my employer thousands spending all day every day on here propping up the bar! Hope you're all keeping well :thumb:

Ah well, at least you're a fairly regular poster. Quality is better than quantity (just look at me for proof of that).

Dear science you have just made me feel old. I'm not quite old enough to be your dad, at least not without some serious deviance in my past :eyebrow:

YEHBABY likes this.
  11. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Have you actually read some of my posts? I daren't show my face in the World of Tanks thread as I was a touch inebriated and confused a T18 with an M10 - the horror :eeek:

Bloody youngsters! I'm pretty sure that I'm not anyone's Dad but I'm certainly old enough :blush:

12. Ozzie

Ozzie Fork 'andles I wanted

Lurked for a few days, now joined.

13. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

I generally lurk around here because A: I'm a tad socially awkward it seems, though I do try my best. And Two: because at least half the time I post in a thread I'm either ignored or I kill it somehow :worried:

This thread seems to have died a bit already so I feel okay about finishing it off haha.

14. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Same if I got my first girlfriend pregnant 'it' would be 22 now....scary.

But I look younger than I am so that's something.

15. j03

j03 What's a Dremel?

I lurk...

16. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Holy crap, no #### you do. :thumb:

17. dex2407

dex2407 What's a Dremel?

i lurk,a lot. do i win anything lol.

18. st00dent

st00dent Minimodder

Hi all i'm Pak and I'm a lurker... i like to buy stuff in the sales forum! i'd estimate 99% of my posts are sales related.

19. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

I suppose I count as a lurker, not a big contributor considering i've been reading for around 3 years now. I'm here almost daily though and still love the place.

20. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Due to work and family commitments, I've been rendered a lurker myself. For the time being ;)