1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Bit-Tech/Intel NUC Competition] Intranuc - Complete --- Final pictures

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 4 Aug 2013.

1. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

Oh my... it's looking great now! :clap:

Great job with the seams, they're quite perfect judging from the pics!

I would also paint the fan wires, seems a bit out of place with the bright colors.

2. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Wow, waynio, edges looks great now! The hours, the hours man...

3. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

It looks amazing so far. Great work

4. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Your cooler cooler looks cooler and here i was thinking i would offer up one of the HD4890 triple heat pipe coolers i have. So if anyone else wants one for shipping costs, PM me.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looking tasty.:D The power button is almost invisible.
    :worried: I painted all my wires black too.

6. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Personally I like the old top panel with the brass I thought it looked much better and gave the case a little contrast. But your new work is top notch as always.

7. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Been awhile since I popped by, really nice work Wayne. :thumb: Great detailing as always. :)

Good luck with the lacqodizing, also think getting rid of the brass was a good choice.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks jokkos, the fan wire was too rainbowy so is all black now. :D

Thanks quizz :) main thing that held this up was getting it wrong a couple times needing re makes, got the latest one done in quite a short time but I took it easy with having so much spare time. :D

Thanks Mos. :)

:D Think I've got the bug for making custom heat sinks now, wanted to make 1 for ages but always put it off, not anymore but some heat sinks are good as they are so just a little modding can make them better.
    Nice offer Zen. :)

:D The button head screws are almost as big as it, :lol: just needs a faint push to trigger the switch, cut the spring down a little so it doesn't need pressing so hard.
    The rainbow wire had to go. :D

It did give it a nice glow but I'm lacquodising it all so the brass would have made the colours really different to what I colour them as, this new version accounts for 1.5mm panels instead of 1.7mm, as crazy as it seems 0.2mm x 2 causes problems & lapping the brass mesh would take forever. :lol:

Thanks Craig. :)
    Just about to start spraying the parts with metal lacquer. :dremel:

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Update.

Better look at the battery space in the base.
    [​IMG]

Numbered the cube spacers & scratched lines to indicate the number so it goes back together nicely.
    [​IMG]

24L Air compressor I bought a few weeks ago so I don't have to do the lacquering in the garage.
    [​IMG]

Spray gun, metal lacquer, heat gun & first parts ready for lacquering on the lazy susan for ease of spraying from all angles, heat gun is for drying it faster.
    [​IMG]

Spray gun holder. :lol:
    [​IMG]

More parts ready for lacquering.
    [​IMG]

Lacquered screw heads, spacers & panels, not doing the internal sides because I need a dyeing tank to hang parts in, I'm using kitchen pans so can only do 1 side at a time.
    [​IMG]

Dye time next, doing 2 colours, 1 for the panels & fixings & 1 for the hex mesh, if you have suggestions on what colour scheme I do then now is the time to say, I'll dye the parts on Friday. :)

This brown is a possible colour I might use that I already have prepared but I can do any colour with the dyes I have now so suggest away. :)
    [​IMG]

Next update will be in the completed project, I broke 1 of my bulbs again so need to order a new one before I can do the final photo shoot.

10. craig - toyoracer

Colours :idea: that render on page 4 looks nice, but how about a dark green, that will blend in the mobo and be unique. :naughty:

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Sorry about that with the colours, I continued after I did midlag crisis & am almost done dyeing Intranuc. :lol:
    Thanks for the feedback though Craig & fortunately I went with those colours in the concept, other than the green. :D

12. craig - toyoracer

That will look great. :thumb:

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D

Sneaky peeky. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Colour and finish look great. Lacqodising is working really well now that you have worked out the teething problems.

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Finishing up nicely.:D
    -Still with the puns...

16. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

So much awesome Waynio. Excellent work :thumb:

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Sweeeeeeet! Came out so nice. Bit gutted the brass went though.

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Boorach, happy with it now but a new problem was introduced but it will all go into making the method work so good. :D

Almost, tripped over another pebble. :D

Thanks Mos :) I'll upload a few shots of how it looks roughly assembled in a mo.

It was shinier :D but the pattern was so inconsistent & is why I had big trouble modeling it for the top panel, the custom one fits the pattern perfect as well as having a more stable base for the cube spacers, cheers crappy, will always seem crazy saying crappy when your a decent dude. :hehe:

I'll post a few shots of the roughly assembled system along with the flaws in a mo. :)

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Here's the few pictures I said I'd post.

Looks pretty sweet to the eye, not bad on camera but will be better on final photos with backdrop stand & lighting done right.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But there are some flaws with the sharpest edges not taking the lacquer, well everything took the lacquer but I made a mistake on the application where I had to cut the panels away to free them & while cleaning off the fray bits with a brush quite a bit came off some bevels so I'll re finish them, this also means the internals will now get coated too but only lightly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting the cube & hex spacers to align correct is tricky but I think I'll get it right, first I need to sort out the flaked bits & round the very sharp edges so the lacquer can grip better, I'll get them ready for spraying in the morning.

20. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Wow that's really come out with an interesting finish. It's amazing how everybody's works are now beginning to look eerily similar to their initial concept renders too!