1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Bit-Tech/Intel NUC Competition] Vesper - Prize arrived and some new plans :D

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maki role, 31 Jul 2013.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

You got me...

[​IMG]

Yeah the models weren't simple to make to say the least. The issues arise in how organic the shapes are, this makes it very difficult in a professional CAD program. So to get around that, I used Blender (I model more efficiently with it than I do in 3DS Max or Maya) to make the shapes. Of course Blender is an artist's tool and not a machinist's, so all of the scaling systems are simply crap and don't work properly. Ended up doing many parts by eye and scaling other bits to individual Blender unit squares.

Admittedly a lot of this is down to how I'm running on my spare HDD currently, which also doesn't have any pro apps installed either. I'm just relieved everything fits to be honest.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2013
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I wonder how many pee sessions that can equals...

3. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Looking great Maki nice progress.

Cheaps depends on how ofter you need to go after you start drinking it. That would make the 6 liters of beer at October fest (a few years ago) small in comparison!

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

You can switch to metric units in Blender and then use mm/cm/m in the input-fields.

5. Maki role

It doesn't scale relative to the grid sadly but instead to the object itself. As a result, if you scale a mesh in object mode, the axis scale with it resulting in an incorrect measurement reading. I used the default blender scaling originally to get the measurements for the 3D printing of the sir panels.

6. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

I would so buy one if these.
    Stonking design/work........

7. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

love it!

8. Maki role

Cheers, I'm glad you like it!

Thanks! I love the Parvum cases btw, they're just so well thought out and look fantastic.

I'm really quite itching to get on with this build but I've been stalled by the blasted weather. I'm a little split by this rain. On one hand I really need it to be dry so I can finish all the priming of the parts (airbrushing will be done inside), on the other hand I'm also an avid mushroom picker (Italian kind rather than Camden...) so this rain is great news for me.

9. Maki role

Big UPDATE time!

Well I've finally had the time to be able to edge this thing over towards the realm of complete today. To start the day off, my vandal resistant switches arrived. One of them is black aluminium, whilst the other is stainless steel. I'm wavering towards going with the steel one currently as it should fit in really nicely with the white sides.

So I started hooking up wires and whatnot... then found out I WAS OUT OF SOLDER :wallbash:. Gah and since I'm not really anywhere near a maplins or similar, I decided to give up on that for today, I'll pop in and grab some tomorrow.

After feeling a bit peeved that I wouldn't be able to finish the switch, I got going on the locking mechanism for the whole case, along with the mounting standoffs for the NUC itself. This is where I really wish I had the space for a pillar drill, as I had to do everything using a cordless hand drill. To add to that, my laziness resulted in my doing everything by eye, and not taking any actual measurements. I don't usually do that, but I felt that given the precision needed here and the fact that I don't get any second chances if I mess up, I should definitely take a stupid gamble.

I've used some 6.5mm neodymium magnets to hold everything together. They're ludicrously strong for their size and allow you to simply pop the sides together with everything inside. They also mean I'll have a lovely, uninterrupted external finish.

Thankfully, I was steady enough with the drill and got everything to fit nicely. All the magnets are held in purely through friction. I then hooked up the switch and fitted in the NUC.

Those magnets are teeny but really strong, not too strong though either
    [​IMG]

Was so happy when the NUC fitted onto the mounting holes
    [​IMG]

Really love the look of this button
    [​IMG]

The sides fit!
    [​IMG]

And it works!
    [​IMG]

And when it all fitted together perfectly and lit up:
    [​IMG]

I'm looking forward to updating with my progress with the wood and paint, all in good time remember...

10. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

The win is epic with this build.

11. Maki role

:D

I took a couple more shots for you guys so you can see the magnet and NUC mounts a little more clearly:

Front -
    [​IMG]

Back -
    [​IMG]

BTW the switch cables are very temporary, I'll be trimming and neatening them once I grab some more solder.

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:clap::D Sweet.

13. Cheapskate

Waynio used my response. Dang good fit for eyeballing.

14. Maki role

:blush:

Yeah I was unbelievably relieved when everything fitted correctly. You may just be able to see it in the photos, but I've left a 0.5mm offset along the whole front panel so that it will be completely flush with the wood when it's added. Grabbed some solder this morning, so I'll be updating with some proper wiring later today. I've also been looking into possible finishes for the wood, got some very interesting ones up currently.

15. Maki role

Hey guys, small update visually, but big progress. I finished priming and sanding all the pieces and have begun the airbrushing and finishing process. This is likely to take several days, but it's all coming together nicely.

I took some pics of the fully primed case as I thought it looked pretty cool, I've left the outside of the centre bare so that the glue can have a rougher, purer surface to attach to when I add the veneer. On the wood front, I did some more tests on French polishing, this time sanding the wood to 1500 grit first. The finish is really great, although the light was terrible for it when I took some pictures so I deleted them. I'll upload a load of pics when I do the wood veneering so you guys don't miss out.

I also picked up a few new power tools! I've been needing to grab a proper drill, jigsaw and grinder for a while now so this seemed like quite a good option, hope you discerning lot approve :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Cheapskate

:lol: The downside of buying all your tools in one kit is that you can't tell them apart if they are in a big pile.

17. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Then don't make a big pile :hehe:

Anyway, looking great Maki! Love how the dynamic shape creates all kinds of nice shadow effects which makes it looking even more interesting!

18. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Really cool design. Like it a lot.

19. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Great work mate, I should give 3D printing a try. This is so looking great.

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It's looking so nice, nice bunch of new tools too. :D:dremel: