1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Recommend an electric heater

Discussion in 'General' started by Porkins' Wingman, 15 Sep 2013.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

So I've just upgraded the man-cave (read garage) and need to get some heat in there for the winter. Initial research is also making me wonder whether going for portable heaters would be better in my house, which is heated by storage heaters currently (meaning the degree of control is low and the cost is higher).

Initially I just need one for my garage, so I'll focus on that. What I want is quiet operation (noisy fans are out, as are old-fashioned mechanical timers that you can hear whirring round all day) and something that looks relatively modern and is space-efficient (that said, if an older-fashioned style one is significantly cheaper I'd go for that over style).

Seems there's oil-filled, oil-free, ceramic, halogen...whicch is preferable? I acknowledge conventional wisdom that whatever you choose, for the same input of electricity you'll get the same output of heat whatever the tech and marketing spiel.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4153496.htm#pdpProductReviews - not paying that much, but is that type good?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4153915.htm - like the look of this, and seems digital too

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4150200.htm#pdpProductReviews - halogen

The above are just the first I've come across

Surely others here have been in the same position... :brrr:

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Any Pentium 4? You get to play games and heat the room at the same time. :D

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I bought a 2kW De'Longhi Dragon 3 a year ago as a supplement to the storage heaters in my flat. It kicks out enough heat to warm a Victorian living room and can be set on a timer. I'm on a varied day/night electricity tariff, which means it's best to let the storage heaters do their thing then use the Dragon in the evening.

It's also thermostat controlled, so there's no worry that it'll run forever on full power, turning your room into a sauna.

Argos have stock of the Dragon 4 with both analogue and digital controls. Mine's digital, but you can save £20 by buying one with analogue dials. Difference is, digital don't tick and you get a remote control.

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I use a 2 burner propane forge, lol. That heats up the garage in no time flat. Granted, it's not the sort of thing you just leave on, but it keeps heat for quite a while.

In all seriousness, most people here have propane garage heaters that you use with a commonly available tank (25# same as for a grill, making it dual purpose).

Is there any reason you're wanting to stick with electric?

Last edited: 15 Sep 2013
  5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

you could take up folding.

What about a solid fuel stove. Would probably be cheaper than electric heating.

6. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

7. Alexg

Alexg What's a Dremel?

If you want electric heating that will actually warm the room then go for an oil filled radiator - I have a dragon 3 paired with a cheap electric timer switch that gives a bit more control that the built in timer. If you're only there for a short period of time a fan heater will warm the air faster but are noisy and less good for long term operation. However beware a poorly insulated garage will cost a fortune to heat properly with electricity.

8. Porkins' Wingman

Would be perfect solution, but sadly I'm meant to be working in there, not playing Leisure Suit Larry...

Ok, question. If you put a 2kw rad and a 1kw rad, both with thermostats, in the same room, would they both use the same amount of power to maintain the same temperature, or would the 2kw use more just by virtue of 2kw>1kw?

Reason I ask is that I'm struggling to find any 1kw rads with digital timers. The room should only need 1kw but if it won't cost me any more in leccy using a 2kw I could go for one of those Dragons.

Yes. It's easy and no chance of gas release.

Would I not need some sort of vent/chimney? In a room that's just been finished? Can you turn the heat from a fuel stove off at the flick of a switch?

Thanks, we have insulated the room, and oil-filled is the only thing getting anyone's recommendation at the mo so could be leaning that way.

Thanks for the replies :)

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Yes, you need a vent. But you get to drill a big hole in the wall for the flue, whats not to love?:dremel:

You can't just turn it off, you can adjust the air coming in to slow or increase the rate of burning and therefore heat.

10. Porkins' Wingman

I'll come clean, there was a hint of sarcasm in my post. It's nice to get all 'romantic' about stoves, but c'mon, thermostats were invented 130 years ago so that we didn't have to waste time pissing about with heat management - embrace the 19th Century tech!

Think this is my new preference: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dimplex-CDE2TI-Electric-Radiator-Kilowatt/dp/B002G09OXQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_3

Not as nice-looking as those dragons, but oil-free seems advantageous to me as once we've got it I can see the other-half making me drag it into the house every night for some extra warmth, so that 33% weight saving and faster heat-up gets my vote at the mo.

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Should around the same power usage if they have an accurate thermostat and the 1kw is capable of achieving the desired temperature. It'll just heat up slower with the 1kw and be on more of the time.

The rule is with electric heating (as you mentioned in OP) is what you put in you ultimately get out. They're all equally efficient (close to 100% what ever the price or design). The only real difference is the manner in which they output the heat.

My preference is a simple convection heater with a thermostat that probably cost under £30. I don't find oil filled ones responsive enough if you want a quick boost and I find fan heaters too noisy for background heat.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2013
  12. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Electric heating sounds good till you get the bill...

Another thing to consider is a heat pump (reversible AC). You get heater for winter, cooler for summer and dehumidifier for autumn/spring.

13. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Now that made me smile, lol.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

kW rating refers to their maximum power - both will use roughly the same (it isn't easy to calculate relative losses and efficiencies between two radiator sizes) power to keep a room at a similar temperature, but the 2kW one will heat the room up in a bit over half the time.

If you're wanting one for the garage then I'd recommend something like this. Cheap, in case it gets knocked about, and still thermostat/multi-setting.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2013
  15. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Nothing beats burning pallets (for free) to heat up your room (in seconds) compared to paying for a bucket load of electricity to do the same job without the fun of burning stuff (come on who doesn't like burning stuff)

I use one of these De'Longhi HCS2553FTS Convector Heater, 3 kW for main heating in my flat because we don't have gas & it heats up the room fast I like to think its because the little fans help spread the heat around fast and not that it has a 3KW Juice guzzling heating element in it but it works really well and shuts off after a couple mins of throwing out hot air.

I mainly just wear a Jumpy mind (as I'm a tight arse when it comes to heating).

16. Ozzie

Ozzie Fork 'andles I wanted

If you want it constantly heated then oil filled convectors. If you only want heat when you are using it cheap halogen lights give a lot of heat as well as light.

17. Porkins' Wingman

I've ended up going for this Dimplex oil-free one - saw a refurb'd one going for £47 so took a chance. Should arrive in a couple of days...