1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2013 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 11 Jan 2013.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'd dump Grosjean and pair up Hulk and Massa at Lotus.

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Grosjean is quick, though.
    he's stopped crashing a lot (compared to earlier in the season and his previous stint in F1), and there were a few races where he had Kimi's digits.
    That says a lot in my book. Maturity is learned. Speed is based on talent. Keeping pace and/or (even occasionally) besting Kimi is no mean feat.

The Hulk is also quick, but quite frankly, a bit of a gamble at this point.

I think Grosjean and Hulk could do well together, even though Massa must be worth a good bit to lotus in terms of the development race next year as the season goes on.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

If it is McLaren it'll be a testing role (or that long rumoured McLaren Sportscar team).

I'd like to see Hulk/Massa at Lotus, I reckon both of them would out perform Grosjean, who's a bit hit and miss (lol).

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

McLaren in sportscar racing - yes please!

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Once they've paid off building their new factory for the road cars, and buying a new F1 engine, maybe. Some good changes coming to LMP/WEC to make it more tempting to manufacturers.

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I reckon:
    Massa to Sauber, Hulk to Lotus.

If Massa goes to Lotus, Hulk will stay at Sauber, and likely get a Mercedes/McLaren drive for 2015.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

8. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I follow Taki on FB and Twitter and he is basically my daily dose of lulz. :D

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Taki is so likeable, it surprises me every single time.

10. David

I love it - it does make you yearn for something more than the increasingly sterile world of today's F1.

I'd to see Mika Salo speak so candidly about his F1 career - I remember him announcing that he was a future world champion, so I'd love to hear his comments on that.

11. David

So, McLaren don't think the driver market for 2014 is all sewn up, and are targeting Alonso to replace Perez; or so Andrew Benson thinks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/24171278

It'd be a gamble for Alonso, given McLaren's current form; but next year is likely to be a lottery, no matter which team you're in. It does give him a out, if he really isn't happy with the arrival of Kimi.

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Which reminds me.

Guys, do you think it's time to start hoping the RB car doesn't like the V6s yet? :D

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Fixed ;)

14. David

Interesting words from Alonso...

It's a pity nobody asked him if he would be happy in a supporting role, should Kimi gain an unassailable advantage over him.

15. Krikkit

I think there's a faint glimmer of hope there - Newey's speciality with this generation of cars has been based on creating the tightest packaging around the coke-bottle area for maximum aero efficiency. Next year it will be significantly different thanks to needing to fit a much more complex cooling system (they'll be running charge-coolers as well as enlarged cooling for the ERS batteries), so that will necessitate a complete redesign of the rear end. Every time something is totally changed there's scope for another team to do a better job.

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Agreed, the new turbo era will produce a much different breed of F1 car than what we've seen evolve in the past 3 or 4 years, and whilst Newey is considered to be the top designer for the current generation of RBR cars, next year's design will be a completely different kettle of fish for all of the above reasons. I'm looking forward to it!

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Dear God, I don't think Perez has been that bad.

You've got to wonder what's going on in Alonso's head if he's even considering that.
    Also, Alonso couldn't cope with Hamilton when Hamilton was a rookie, but Button got under Hamilton's skin once Hamilton had been there four years. How on earth is Alonso going to cope with Button, will he start murdering people on the quiet to vent his anger?

I think next year Red Bull will pick up exactly where they left off, Newey and Vettel seem to be this generation's Schumacher and Byrne, except they're even more consistent.

18. David

One school of thought is that he's probably looking for options because of the rumoured problems with Ferrari's 2014 engine. If there is any truth in that, the idea of starting yet another season with the deck stacked against him could be enough motivation. It'd be a huge win for McLaren, because Santander would go with Alonso - removing concerns over Perez' sponsorship money.

19. Krikkit

Weren't Button and Alonso already team-mates back in the Williams days? I imagine they'll be more than capable of keeping civil with each other, being the oldler, experienced racers of the field. :)

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

...except they don't need the Ferrari International Assistance.

;)

And yes, I agree :(

Alonso must be off his rocker going to Macca with Button's contract and place to secure. He could be wanting to get in on the 2015 car, but Honda is also a complete unknown...