1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete MINI MOTO MAYHEM: Photo Dump

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Asouter, 23 Mar 2013.

?

Which Colour

Poll closed 24 Sep 2013.
  1. UV Lime Yellow

31.3%
  2. Pastel Blue

68.8%
  1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I think the blue looks nicer. But....

The green/yellow looks more like jet fuel to me and I would prefer that. It's a motorbike, it would look much better with something that actually looks like fuel. Jet fuel (I used to use it in my RC cars) is pretty yellow in colour.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

+1 for blue. Maybe save the yellow for a Mountain Dew themed mod.

3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I prefer the yellow especially for the biking world. Looks similar to the low end of the front forks. Has that ohlins feel to it

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

This looks freakin' awesome! Can't wait to see it finished.

5. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

normally I would scream and yell for the blue. I love that colour in your reservoir and the tubings.

But in this case, the yellow seems appropriate for a bike-... I dunno, it'll make it a bit 'meaner'.

6. Egami

Egami Why is the dremel on fire?

Yellow. The thing that did it for me was how well it glowed from between the steel pipe anti kink bits.

7. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Argh, torn between the blue and yellow. I think in this current setting for the reservoir etc. the blue fits in better. But I do like how the yellow fits the idea better and really shows through the metal links as Egami mentioned. I think I would be tempted to go for the oddball option and choose the yellow. It may require a bit more work to get it to look just right, but I think it has more potential than the blue.

8. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Blue, no doubt! But that's just me, I can't stand yellow combined with red :lol: Looks great btw!

9. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

10. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

No orange? I R dissappoint :(

11. Asouter

Asouter --------

It's a good point, I have forgotten about one thing, the Cables and sleeving (blue/white) and can see how the yellow will be a bit busy..

It reminds me of how colours just shouldn't work but do... Like Kawasaki green...Vile colour but it works.

Cheers Azariel, another for blue.... another valid reason "class"

blue/yellow.. it's tough choice ...it shouldn't be but is... I hear what your saying about bikes and fuel the yellow would pop inside the build

Thanks Ian, another for blue... It's interesting that the yellow would still be considered in a build.

Thank you, the gold/Ohlins on the front end is what I was trying to do... just trying to source tiny Ohlins logo's ...the yellow is very bike like.

Thanks Mad ... (hope you don't mind me using your first name) It's getting there :)

It's not such a clear choice is it ? Your thoughts on the yellow is exactly what I'm thinking.

Another for yellow .... I like how it pops with the red too ....also it contrasts the blue too oh and of course there's the anti kink bits.

I think so too, it's such an odd colour that it's just thrown a spanner in the works ... Do I go with convention or be brave ...

Lol, I like how we clash on colours and materials.... I kinda like the yellow against the red... I think it looks better than red against blue... My main concern is how it looks against the tank ...

YAY... now this is something I have to consider seriously... Phame made this res, so his opinion carries a lot of weight ...

Nope no orange Hukkel :) I know it looks awesome in your build but here .... I don't want to add to the already difficult choice.

Thanks for your input guys, Mick at Mayhems definitely threw me a curved ball here. I remember when speaking to him about the yellow..and to be honest I was a bit confused why he'd suggest such a colour... but I agreed to try it anyway. I am so torn between the two and judging by the vote, so is the Bit-Tech community.

I have left the res full of the yellow and it's sat next to the M'board assembly... I'll leave it there for a few days to see if it gets too offensive...

12. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Personally i would have rocked the ever popular Repsol Blue and orange...

[​IMG]

Fuggin sexual colours for a bike....

Better colours than my ZXR 750 H2 anyway........

Last edited: 20 Sep 2013
  13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

COME ON THE YELLOW!!!

14. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Heinz Gericke sell ohlins stickers

15. Asouter

Asouter --------

Yeah the Repsol colours have always been nice, but Honda is not a bike I've ridden an awful lot of, they're nice but...I dunno, the only one I've owned is the SP2 in Castrol colours ...

Yay one up for the Yellow, the poll is quite surprising...you'd think that people would absolutely hate it... I'm glad that it wasn't just me having a funny 5 minutes and liking it.

I just checked out their site, couldn't find anything Ohlins related, but had a quick google search and did find some...cheers Kovoet :thumb:

16. Asouter

Asouter --------

Sponsored by

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked up the frame from the powder coaters, and I'm well chuffed. The frame has been totally transformed into something really nice... take a look

[​IMG]

The job was done by A1 Coatings in Southampton ... dunno if they done me a deal but the job lot cost only £72 ... there's just no way I could have done that at that price and as for the time saving ..
    Here's the other bits

[​IMG]

I have just removed the tape from the wheels, I will have to wait for the paint/lacquer to harden before finishing the rims..

[​IMG]

and finally I couldn't resist having a sneaky look at how the frame colour ties in with the tank unit

[​IMG]

I have pressed in the new headstock bearings, over the next few days I'll be getting the chassis sorted ... I'm happy as it's a big milestone getting the frame back :)

17. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Wow that looks stunning !

18. Asouter

Asouter --------

Cheers Andy, The frame came back looking 1000 X better

19. PeteA

PeteA What's a Dremel?

Voted Blue...

Although the Lime/Yellow looks good, couldn't picture it fitting in with this particular project/colour scheme.

20. Primum Agmen

Primum Agmen What's a Dremel?

Blue hands down. That's a cheap spray job, do they do anodising as well? :D