1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Intel NUC] The microprocessor [Completed - Final pics page2]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ace_finland, 11 Sep 2013.

1. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

Time for another update,

The lid painted
    [​IMG]

Need to practice on taking photos, they all are the same color but look different in every photo :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick assembly to see what it looks like
    [​IMG]

From the oven straight back to the mill
    [​IMG]

First youtube video! Milling with a 1mm end mill to get as sharp edges as possible. The sound might be a bit loud so be prepared

All done, Decided that the old intel logo would fit the build better than the new one. The first plan was just to do a slight pocket and paint it. After finishing the pocket i realized that it would not look like i wanted it to. [​IMG]

So i came up with this, took a 2mm aluminum sheet, milled 1mm, chamfered all the edges and milled through the rest. As the pocket is 1mm deep and logo is 2mm thick it will be about 1mm above the lid. Also makes painting it a lot easier
    [​IMG]

Some of the edges needs a clean up but it will fit after some convincing.
    [​IMG]

Some paint after sanding and cleaning up the edges
    [​IMG]

Gave the on/off button some paint at the same time
    [​IMG]

Screws for the case
    [​IMG]

Just had to try it, still needs a bit of fiddling but very happy i went down this road
    [​IMG]

More updates coming soon!

2. Knighthammer

Knighthammer What's a Dremel?

Looks really good!

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Awesome!:D
    -Storing the lexan pocket trick away for future use.
    -Beautiful inlay work.
    -I gotta beg for some speeds/feeds for the 1mm bit. I haven't played with those yet. They're too expensive and easy to break for me. From the video I'm guessing +10,000rpm? The vid was just blasting along compared to my feeds.:lol:

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh god this is so good! :rock:

I WANT A MILL

5. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

Thx buddy!

Thx! I'll check what feeds and speeds i used for it, ill send you a pm later. but the mill was running at 24k rpm and would have been good with higher rpm but its max what my spindle can take. The single thing that has made the most improvemnt on machining is the mist cooler, have saved me som many end mills in the end

Thx! They sure are great :)

6. OrangeClockwerk

OrangeClockwerk Clockwerk Industries

really cool man I like it a lot!

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

me too

this project is cool

8. Cheapskate

@Bindi - Aren't you in the land where cheap CNC mills are born?

-Yeah, 24K is a little over my max...by 14K rpm.:lol:

9. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

Thx!

Thx!

Can still work with 14k but you will have to go slower and use some type of coolant! Writing u a pm soon!

10. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

Back with another update.

Was thinking for a while on how to power the leds for the case. From experience in the last mod i did i saw better light spread with more leds and less intensity so i've decided to put quite a few leds in it and using a fan controller to adjust the intensity/brightness of them. I've seen others using the internal USB header but they won't supply enough power and the last thing i want to do is fry something. After doing some measurements i found out that the internal and external power supply is linked together, meaning as soon as i plug in the external power supply there's a constant 19V dc. From here i will use an 7812 voltage regulator to get the voltage down to 12V which i will feed into the fan controller to be adjustable all the way down to 0V.

The 7812 Voltage controller. Now i realize this photo wasn't the best for scale :)
    [​IMG]

Was so into the electronics i forgot to take more photos. But here its all done, tried to do some sleeving on it but was quite tricky when everything is soldered together. And the legs are painted :) had to leave the last bit of the led connection un-sleeved so it would flex enough
    The metal plate which has a bit of copper on it is the wireless antennas i took from the original nuc case, did not want to ruin them before i have tested that everything works
    [​IMG]

The nuc installed
    [​IMG]

On the left side you can see the 7812 Voltage regulator and kinda get a size on it, its tiny!
    [​IMG]

Plugged in but not powered on, testing that everything works, no smoke!
    [​IMG]

Added some leds to the lid, first thought was to glue them in the bottom of the case but seemed a lot easier to put them in the lid
    [​IMG]

Soldering together all the strips
    [​IMG]

More coming soon!

11. Cheapskate

Yeah, The internal jack was tempting, but I didn't have a way to switch it with the system.:p
    Looks like you have plenty of light like this. It should drown out the on board blue power led.
    ...And you'll be finished within the contest deadline with us.:lol:

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

This is outstanding Ace, :rock: I must have been picked out of pity. :lol::blush:

13. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

Yeah :) Not sure when the contest deadline is (not that i can be late in anyway seeing i'm not in it :D) but final pics will be up in minitues!

Thx Waynio! I really like your case! I think they are just different and u did def not get picked out of pity! Great design and great execution!

14. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

Final update!

Was thinking a while how the easiest way to get a film on the acrylic, after some searching i found some transparent acetate film with an adhesive backing on ebay. Ordered a glossy version made for inkjets. Printed out to test it and it looked alright, but def not as glossy as i imagined. For some reason it would not stick well to the transparency film either. So fixing to problems at one go i decided to try and spray it with a clear coat and using sticky tape over the color. In the end the sticky tape had as even surface as the clear coat and no dust in it. So decided with sticky tape.
    [​IMG]

The result
    [​IMG]

And now for some final pictures :) For some reason the acrylic ain't as glossy as real life but i can't use any other functions than auto on this camera
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you like it :)

Big Elf likes this.
  15. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

wow, seriously that's outstanding work.

I'm gonna get to the back of the 'want a mill' queue lol, although I think its fair to say there is a lot to say to being able to use it well - pretty sure I couldn't do that even if I got donated a mill to play with!

16. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

Thx! yeah they sure are great. Has taken me quite some time to get a decent finish when milling and a lot of money from snapping end mills :D

17. HybridCore

HybridCore What's a Dremel?

Niiice.

18. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

Oooooooh!
    Such a beautyful lilttle thing!
    If I were Paul Otellini I'd buy your design and I'll make a ten million batch of it on the fly being sure to make a killing...
    Bye
    A.

19. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Mini marvel - excellent work :thumb:

20. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Totally true.

I think it's an awesome design to come up with for the intel NUC and this should be the standard-case the NUC gets sold with. :rock: