1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD R9 and R7 series graphics cards announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 25 Sep 2013.

1. Spuzzell

Spuzzell What's a Dremel?

The cards are sexy, but the Mantle API is the gamechanger though.

If it works even a tenth as well as AMD claim, anyone with an Nvidia card will be significantly disadvantaged.

2. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Given that next gen consoles going to force devs use Mantle if they want to pull really good graphics at the hardware provided, and since new AMD cards going support it (future Nvidia's could also), in addition to that is going to be OS free, with the performance boost, then I see DX going down the drains.

I was ready to upgrade my GTX570 with a 7970 at the end of this month, however now, I find it pointless no matter the price. The 7970 has to be very cheap (even on Ebay) to be able to grab 2 for the price the 280X and still I will think about it, given the other extra benefits.

I foresee it will happen the same crash on current gen GPUs as when the 8800 came out all those years ago.
    They were worthless the week after it went on sale.

3. DbD

DbD Minimodder

The chart has the R9 290X getting 8k in firestrike (not extreme). A GTX 7800 gets about 8.5K in firestrike. That puts it slightly behind the 780, and it's price is slightly behind the 780. I see no price war there :(

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Quad channel APU ... AMD, can you ear me ? Kaveri IGP is based on GCN, so Mantle should work, right ? Quad channel would solve the memory bandwidth issue ... add unified memory + low level programming (through Mantle) and this would be a nice little system.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

what chart? no firestrike score has been mentioned for the 290x

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I hope that Kaveri improves first and foremost on the CPU-side, as we don't need more powerful IGPs. If you need more GPU-power, than you can simply buy the new R7-250 for under $100.
    AMD needs to improve their CPU-performance, before I cconsider buying any of their APUs.

7. GuilleAcoustic

I'm looking at an i7-4765T (35W 4C/8T) + R7-250. This should run very well from a pico PSU.

8. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Loving the look of the shroud on that example photo.
    I'm already tempted to go for one when they release for the simple fact that replacing those red strips with a light and having it on a breathing effect would be gorgeous.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

If it works as advertised Nvidia will not exist in the pc desktop gaming market place, Just as the companies that 3dfx battled with all went bankrupt on the back of there Glide stuff. The performance dif between Glide and its counter parts at the time was huge even low level 3dfx cards bested top end cards by competing manufactures due to Glide.

Nvidia would not be able to offer anything that would get close to Mantle performance figures if it takes off in a major way.

Mantle API been Low level is the game changer, Not like Open GL or Direct x can compete agaist it performance wise as both are High Level APIs.

To anyone who does not relise this a low level API is basically coding to hardware on consoles and if you know the exact gpu specification you can get alot more performance than you could using direct x.

Thats what makes Mantle and like glide before it such game changers if they work. The difference could be 80-90% performance gains from Mantle over using direct x maybe more in fact.

Think both Microsoft and Nvidia will be thinking to themselves we are in trouble here if this takes off. Nvidia would probably not be in the pc sector no more and there move over towards mobile would likely happen even faster.

Microsofts cash is still in Enterprise sector as it has been for years and this would not effect them at all.

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

You can't run a dedicated GPU from a picoPSU, even if it's only something like the 7750. The 3.3V line is strained by the PCIe-card and your picoPSU will overheat because of that. Usually a PCIe-card draws 3A over the 3.3V line, so the picoPSU will allways run at 50% from that alone. So your picoPSU won't live that long without actively cooling it.

That's why I decided against a picoPSU and went for an SFX-PSU instead for my upcoming workstation.

Read the manual -> http://resources.mini-box.com/online/PWR-PICOPSU-150-XT/PWR-PICOPSU-150-XT-manual.pdf

Last edited: 26 Sep 2013
  11. GuilleAcoustic

12. DbD

DbD Minimodder

This chart:
    http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7588/a599.png

13. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

The only difference I know for sure is that the 290X has 2816 SP and the 290 only has 2560. I haven't searched enough yet to know the rest of the 290 specs :)

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

16. GuilleAcoustic

17. DbD

DbD Minimodder

18. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Glide & Mantle are published on different times and from a different position of the company created them.

When Glide came out, it was late 90s when the whole computer market was still an infant, and from a company that only product was an "add-on" card to the existing gfx card for PC that was used by very "savvy" people. That period the games that used it were counted on single hand, and only UT99 & Dark Omen were the ones that supported it fully. That was on a period when CD-ROM on PC was a luxury also, Linux was still for geeks like me, as was the Mac for the people who made no sense by choosing one.

Forward to 2013. AMD has the main next gen consoles on their pocket for the next 7 years. That is around 160,000,000 units. Plus half the discreet GPU market, raising their APU market share without actual competition on the top end market, and they are ready to put on sale their own ARM APU for mobile devices and PC of course. In addition Macs, are a pretty heafty market share of home computers.

So Mantle makes sense, because it can be used in everything above, plus is Open not Closed like Glide was back then, restricted to a single company. Plus now the variety of OS (Win, Linux, Androids, OSX) making it an one way street if you need to improve phones, pads, pc, consoles at the same time. Consider that because the market is so big on phones & pads, they are going actually soon to play proper games, and game studios like that idea. No more Java games. :)

So better good riddance on the DX & Windows and lets put what ever OS we want to our systems, and not being forced to use a single product only.

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the bar is full? over 7000 ? with no indication of just how far it goes??

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

AFAIK Mantel is open source, if anything Mantel combined with SteamOS (not using DirectX) spells the death knell for Windows as the main gaming OS.

Tags: Add Tags