1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Fan Adhesive Mounts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cei, 26 Sep 2013.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Okay, so this is a slightly weird one.

My ITX build is all put together, but I ran in to a stack of problems relating to the ASUS Maximus VI Impact board and the Noctua NH-9B SE2 cooler....

1) The stock 92mm fans are not PWM :(
    2) The stock fans don't fit with the Impact board - specifically the addition of the outtake fan, which collides with the vertical power management board.
    3) Replacement NF-Ax914 fans do have PWM, and are slimmer, so don't collide with the power management board. Win!
    4) The including mounting clips don't fit properly - bending them makes it work, just.
    5) The aforementioned clips collide with the RAM down one side, and the power management board...

So, my current situation is that I have a single clip holding the intake fan on - but it's nice and secure, so I can deal with that. The problem is the outtake fan - it simply cannot be adapted to use any of Noctua's provided clips. So, my query is, does anybody know of any suitable adhesive strips I can use? Is 3M stuff okay in that environment?

Pictures can be provided if needed...

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

How about velcro? You then have the option of easily switching fans if needed.

3. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Or cable ties? They're dirt cheap, just snip them and replace them if you need to move the fan.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Not sure a cable tie would work in this situation - but I'll have a look! Velcro might be an interesting solution...

5. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Velcro, the most useful accidental tool ever accidently made.

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Just spied these over on OCUk. Any good?

7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I solved a similar issue by bonding the Noctua brown rubber anti-vibration fan mounts to a surface and then mounting the fan on them.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'll try them as option 2 if 3M adhesive tape spots don't work.
    Hmm, not sure that'll work on the fins of a CPU cooler, not enough surface area...

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Elastic bands. Find some the right diameter ones and strap a couple around the heatsink and fans and bingo!

10. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

3M foam will hold a fan in place. I've been using it for ages for the fan that was cooling my north bridge.

Magnetic things won't help you on a cooler - they're alu and copper.

11. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Good point Andy, I quickly read the original post and thought Cei was trying to mount a fan to the case.

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yep, ordered some 3M sticky pads to try and see if they will work - arriving on Saturday.

Really quite annoyed with Noctua's claim that the NH-9B SE2 is compatible with the Impact, because it blatantly isn't. Sure, you can get the tower block on, but none of the stock fans fit (the one below the cooler is blocked by the cable coming off the HD-Audio pins on the audio breakout PCB). Think I might have to email Noctua with my displeasure.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Bleh, foam isn't doing much of a good job - not enough surface area for the fans to stick to. Looks like I'll be trying another idea!

Bizarrely, the PC is now also booting up randomly by itself after being shut down. Weeeeeird.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Could you stick some of those rubber fan mounts on with silicon? I've got some Loctite black stuff here that sticks like crap on a blanket.

[​IMG]

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Problem is, that's a very permanent solution!

I've found a fix using cable ties that seems to be doing a decent job, and pretty tidy. Just need to find some cable ties that are a bit longer and not bright yellow now!

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Not really, that loctite stuff (5910, im guessing) which is the same as the stuff I've got can be removed piss easy with a razor blade but when you need it to stick it sticks hard!

It's main purpose is a liquid gasket, so it has to be removable when components are striped down and rebuilt. Mostly vehicle based uses, like inlet interface.

17. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Krikkit's suggestion is a very good one. The same one that i suggested in post #7 :clap:

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Quite! 5910 is my current favourite silicon. Cure time is a little bit longer than ideal, but it sticks really well and isn't too hard to remove as long as you've got something sharp to attack with!