1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Midlag Crisis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 18 Jan 2013.

1. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

So glad you got the mobo working again and managed to finish this. With all the work and time you put into getting the 'lacquodising' finish mastered this build really deserved to reach a successful conclusion. The colour scheme and fan grill design give the case a retro, steampunk feel which I love. Fantastic build yet again. I look forward to following your next project.

2. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Yesssss, finally! Looking good Waynio. Love the color, and as sombody else mentioned, surface looks almost grain like. Fan grill is brilliant!

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Yeah! That lactate-thing worked well. It looks fantastic.

4. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

woohoo it's alive!!!!!

respect man! It looks amazing, the finish is really nice! I love the fan grill, with the power button above it. :clap:

Last edited: 30 Sep 2013
  5. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Great work there dude.

6. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Awesome! The fan grille and power button are terrific. Great job Wayne. :thumb:

7. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Terrific finish Wayne :thumb: Your hard work has paid off, now with 2 great little systems. :)

8. Asouter

Asouter --------

I have to agree with everyone else, I'm soo chuffed you got this done ... it's been interesting following your exploits with the lacquidising idea, the final result and finish is gorgeous.

Nice shot of both systems together..ohh and I like the IO shield too and the ... ohh shucks it's gorgeous :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Crapman, always seems wrong saying that lol, Still has some more practice before it's as good as I know it can be but yeah it's not bad, I think a higher quality spray gun should help a good bit & getting it right first time around instead of 4th by which time the surface finish had been through hell. :D

Thanks C4B12, it is a nice motherboard for a HTPC with all those sata sockets, USB 3 as well, seems a nippy enough system too, if I wasn't so eager to get back onto my main project I'd have sleeved the cables to kick it up a notch, could re visit it after I complete lean & green if I feel up for it. :)

Thnks Pranja. :)

I couldn't believe it was the power button. :lol:
    Lacqodising isn't showing signs of mastered yet but it will by the time I apply it to lean & green, definitely made good progress on the finish though, I had the dye mixing measurements wrong as well using a 1 size scoop fits all but the dye powders all have different mass so the mixes was quite wrong so I'll make custom scoops so I can easily mix properly for making the precise colours I'm aiming for.

I think I might have art deco style subliminally rolling around in my mind somewhere along with other styles, sometimes it comes out as what the heck is that thing. :lol:

Thanks Boorach. :)

Doing the brush finish with a coarse satinising mop on a power drill could make it look like wood grain, super thin strong wood panels. :D
    Project took way longer than it should have due to the finish development but was worth it, I was close to giving up on an alternative to anodising so it was a lucky fluke that I previously bought some dylon all purpose dye for doing some plastic bits a while ago to try out, if it wasn't for that I might not have got it this good.
    Thanks quizz. :)

:D Thanks cheaps.

The colours in the cheap marble look nice with the finish, I like it, thanks jokkos. :)

Thanks Andy. :)

Thanks Attila, I'm hooked on doing power buttons like that now but vandel switches will always be nice & convenient when I can't be bothered to make my own. :D

Finishing 2 within a tiny gap makes up for not completing a project in ages. :hehe:
    Thanks Craig.

Thanks Asouter, still some way too go on getting it as good as I know it can be but for now I'm happy with it.
    I blame the lacqodising for making the view count high on this log. :lol:

Now I need to let my hand recover, the dermatitis flared up again & it's pretty nasty so it needs a break from squeezing tools & getting my hands dirty in the workshop, man that sounds wrong. :hehe:

10. Olias_of_Sunhilo

Olias_of_Sunhilo What's a Dremel?

Fine work and no mistake Wayne, what I love about this build is the way we all feel at times you showed the 'best of times and the worst of times' (bad quote from Dickens' tale of Two Cities) and for that you're human great reading and a great finish I haven't enjoyed a log as much as this in a long time - and a happy ending (pure hollywood!).

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Appreciate the nice comment Olias, cheers. :)

My hands have been ill the past couple of months with dermatitis which ended up getting infected but they have been treated now & should be back to fully functional in a week or 2, skin is still weak so would cut open too easy if I started modding too soon.

Lean & green will continue in a week or 2 but not here.

I've stopped recieving updates to threads I'm subscribed to & that voids the point of subscribing to them so I won't be as active here as I used to be.

Last edited: 28 Oct 2013
  12. Paslis

Paslis Minimodder

Indeed great work and the colors are great.A lot of eefort went into it and it show thumbs up Waynio. :D

13. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

May I ask where you will be updating to? Would like to keep track of your work.

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Cheers Paslis. :)

Modzoo, Boorach. :)

Hope to see more modders there, it's a good place. :D
    Would have stayed but without getting updates it just makes posting here more dysfunctional, had to use my favourites link I used for posting updates to post this. :lol:

Probably being a bit hasty on saying I'm leaving but I need the updates to keep me coming back here for more, see if anything changes. :D

Last edited: 31 Oct 2013