1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

anyone know where i can get a set of cheap flat Toe Clip/hoop pedals from? CRC only have sets starting from £35 from what i can see

edit:
    orded a set of theres
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=331012398268

Ill use my SPD-LS clip pedals / shoes when doing long distance still.

Update... had an impulse buying session... with money i dont really have! D: FFUUUCCCkkkkkk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Oct 2013
  2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Finally got to take my new bike out yesterday - thoroughly enjoyed it, she rides very fast and very stable!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ooh, nice! Managed to get the rear shock sorted then? :D

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

For a PUSH rebuild you should budget about £175 including postage there and back.

It's a completely new rebound assembly and the compression is valved to match your weight. Versus buying a new shock it's better than anything you'll get this side of Cane Creek or Avalanche shock, certainly better than a shock bought blind off CRC which will come with Fox's patented 'whatever' tune. But you do need to ride the bike a bit and make notes on what you like/don't like about how the shock performs now.

PS, sweet Domains!

Last edited: 6 Oct 2013
  5. Margo Baggins

Thanks for the info. I haven't actually ordered that shock from CRC, I was pretty blown away with how good the suspension was on this bike, literally next to no pedal bob at all on that float shock. I got a bit of a bargain on a fox van coil shock that will fit the frame - and it was only 30 quid so I have bought that and it will arrive tuesday hopefully, will strap that on and she how it goes next weekend!

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Nothing major today but made me giggle anyway. fitted some new front chainrings to give me a bit more speed after finding i was lagging behind on fast trails. New rings are on but now my bashring is too small! (perfect excuse to get a shiney shiney Hope one)

[​IMG]

Had a little blast around the lake near mine can certainly tell its quicker. gone from a 22T/32T to a 26T/36T surprising how much of a difference it makes. The guy i ride with doesnt know ive done it yet an usually has problems keeping when i get a squirt on so next weekend should be amusing!

7. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

Have at look at some of the Genesis bikes, they make nice steel frames.

8. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Off to UK Bike Skills in the morning for a day of one-to-one coaching. Hopefully finish the day a much better rider than I start.

9. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Oops, just pre-ordered a new bike :blush:. Trek Superfly 9.8, due Dec/Jan.
    Decided to give the bigwheelers a go after really enjoying the pace and lightness of the cross bike but wanting something for the rougher stuff.

13eightyfour like bluespider42 said, Genesis bikes do some very nice good quality steel bikes. I love my Equilibrium, rides better than my old Ti frame and takes mudguards and 28mm tyres for the winter, it's comfortable but stiff enough on the climbs. There are a lot of steel bikes that look the part but ride like crap, Equilibriums look great and ride really well, good enough for all year round and not just winter. If we are in the wrong ballpark how much did you want to spend?.

[​IMG]

10. fix-the-spade

I am not jealous
    I am not jealous
    I am not jealous
    I am not jealous
    I am not jealous
    I am not jealous
    I am not jealous

I don't even like XC bikes, but all Trek's carbon bikes are drool worthy and have been all the way back since my boss wheeled in his Y33 with an insufferable grin on his face.

11. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Another quick reminder for everyone always wear your helmet.

[​IMG]

I'm glad I never leave home with out it.

12. Margo Baggins

Are you ok mate?

Looks like a nasty one! I am a helmet advocate.

13. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Burns and grazes on both elbows, big graze on my knee knee, burn on hip hip, shoulder, hand, chest and put some nice dings in my lid

Feel better this week though :) hopefully get back on the saddle

14. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Glad you're okay, would have at least lost some flesh without it if not a lot worse, don't go anywhere without mine either.

fix-the-spade I'm not a hardcore XC rider or anything but for those faster not so technical rides it should be great fun, or when I fancy something different. Taking it to swinley forest once it turns up, should be ideal there, they've covered most of the roots and rocks there and it's all hardpack. Had to warranty my Remedy frame so used the credit as an excuse to get a new bike (got a Blur LTC to replace the Remedy frame).

I used to drool over the Y33 back in the day at the local shop :)

15. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I've narrowed my options down to either the Planet X Kaffenback, or the Genesis CdF, Atm the Kaffenback is winning as it has a better spec for the money, but I need to get out and actually see/feel etc... before deciding which to buy.

16. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Is it a race bike or a cyclocross bike your after? If your using it for a commute then a cyclocross would make a good buy.

Just a thought but if your looking at a bike for the winter Kinesis are worth a look.

17. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I managed to source the necessary Hope disc spider and 5-bolt rotor from a chap on retrobike, so I've almost got my XC bike back up and running. Unfortunately I forgot the special allen key for removing my skewers at my parents house, so trying it out will have to wait a few days.

Next up is getting the new tyres. I'm a little weary that 2.25" Shwalbe Rocket Ron's won't fit in my frame and forks. One member on retrobike said they just about fit in a '97 Kona Explosif which is encouraging. I've also read that the 2.25" Rocket Ron's are narrower than they claim and are more akin to 2.1". Anyone with these tyres, or something similar willing to measure both height and width for me?

18. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

My Bike collection has grown again :)

[​IMG]

Turned up last night at 5:15 will take it out around the Meon valley on Sunday to stretch its legs :).
    Well impressed for the money, I do not know how they do it.

Carbon fork, Carbon seat stays, Tiagra group set & a full Eddy Merckx finishing kit is pretty nice :)

19. Margo Baggins

20. fix-the-spade

A tandem fat bike with S & S couplers and a thudbuster (and a Rohloff?).

Is that much nicheness allowed on one bike? Surely there's a law against it or something?