1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress OPTERON PRIME - Supermicro 4P folding mayham - folding numbers

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hukkel, 25 Jul 2013.

1. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

That is what i try and tell people :D
    The motherboard is enormous and takes up half the case with ease. The other half is where the two reservoirs go together with the SSD. Of course a lot of wiring and tubing will need to be used as well. The bottom part will be filled to the brim with rads, pumps and wiring plus I need somewhere to put the two flow meters and the drainvalves.

Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------

Small update of two things: first of all I bought 12*12mm*50cm aluminium bars. To drill and tap them and cut them in size.

I did a large piece in the rear corner to fit 3 panels together and keep the sides in exacly 90 degrees. Was quite some work to get all the holes done and tapped O.0

Then a couple of small pieces with 2 holes drilled and M3 tapped so I could fit multiple panels.

Might seem like a tad "too much" but this thing is going to travel the world and I don't want it to fall apart during travel.

In the pictures you see the finished product (for now). After this it is waiting for the WC stuff to arrive so I can cut holes for the fill ports and drain ports etc.
    Figure out the loop. Also see how the tubing will run under that PSU panel. As well as the cables running to and from the PSU to spots such as the fan hubs and the ledstrips.
    Once that has been done as well I will take it apart one last time to pray it black completely. It will become one matt black piece, nice and clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is what I am going to fill up the loop with. Bundles of UV green Mayhems. This is actually the lime yellow (that truns into bright UV green when under UV light). I have some blue dye with it to make the daylight coolant also be as green as I want it to be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sir Michael of Mayhems was kind enough to again support me, now with this project. He instantly understood I needed quite a bit to fill this baby up. And because in the US it will be filled again I also received that dose. Plus some to try and figure out the best colour as well.

Thanks a million Michael! :clap:

[​IMG]

http://www.mayhems.co.uk/shop2/pastel-uv-lime-yellow-250ml.html

http://www.mayhems.co.uk/shop2/blue-10ml.html

Last edited: 24 Jul 2014
  2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

*sings song*

Transformers, ridiculously powerful computer in disguiseeeeeeee.

*interesting factoid* if you have a nearly empty can of shaving foam you can make the perfect transformer sound :D

Looking fantastic mate :)

3. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Been a while since I've seen UV coolant in a build. Of all the great builds as of late, none have been overkill like this :(

Great to see some progress hukkel! :dremel:

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That's a LOT of green.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

6. AlienwareAndy

Hey good idea I've been looking for a one bed bungalow :D

7. TheJDog

TheJDog What's a Dremel?

about time someone did a server/folding grade hardware mod!

8. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

When in doubt.....MOAR GRIENNNN :D

haha it would be small compared to what this will be ;)

Come this way sir. Beware not to trip over the pump wiring ;)

Thanks TJD :clap:

---------------------------------------------------------

Alright. Tim for an update.
    All gears are in motion for this project.
    I have two watercooling packages coming soon.
    One with some plexiglass panels.

In the meantime it was fan-testing-day at the Hukkel residence.
    I had already tested and sleeved the front 5 fans. Time for the other 13.
    First testing time, then sleeving time. And of course change the stock white connectors to black ones.
    There, much nicer.

I am also using a few invisible Gentle Typhoons. I wanted to use the Enermax fans all round but they are impossible to get a hold of sadly.
    I have just enough for the front, the back and the push-side.
    Between the radiators will be the Gentle Typhoons to pull the heat from the first radiator and push it through the 2nd one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too much later I started working on the painting of the front, back and inside of the case.
    The paintjob is not meant to be a shining piece of awesomeness. It is mostly meant to not show any more grey.
    So that between black panels there aren't anymore grey lines visible.
    In the end the inside much look clean and be a big contrast with the bright UV green coolants.

Of course one bottle wasn't enough for the full deal. I just didn't have enough for a 2nd layer for the mobo panel itself.
    Oh well, let's get another bottle for that. Quite impressed to see how far I got with one bottle anyway :D

[[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Jul 2014
  9. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Time for another update. I received the second shipment of watercooling parts from EKWB. Due to a miscommunication I received some wrong items the first time. I send them back and received this shipment.

I dug in right away and went to work with them!

I received the new type 90 degree and 45 degree fittings, the new type hardline tubing connectors for 12mm OD pipes, 2 new type PE 4cm thick radiators and some extension fittings. (and two replacement plexi top brackets since I killed the previous two I received making me feel like a right ...well you know what).

I had to modify the radstands so the fittings could face the side of the fans (saving me a lot of valuable space). Not the nicest of ways but I really wanted them in there. I had been waiting for so long.

I need to make two brackets so the pumps can stand like I have put them in the picture now.
    Making it WAY easier to route the hoses and also put the two taps for the loops under the pumptops to the front of the case. Since I can't fit them anywhere else.

I can do more work in the pedestal when i receive the grills and the 3rd watercooling package containing my bunch of fillports and t-pieces and taps and male to male connectors.

Check it out. Seems my pedestal was smaller than I thought it would be :/
    What a tight fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next update; making the connections between the waterblocks on the motherboard.

But not before I thank the very kind people of EKWB again for sponsoring this enormous build with loads of watercooling parts and equipment. It is a big honour to have them on my side in this project donating such amazing stuff. :clap: :thumb:
    Thank you specially Peter for all your help again while having to do the jobs of two others in the meantime. You're awesome! :rock:

[​IMG]

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/

Last edited: 27 Jul 2014
  10. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Another update. Had some time so started with the routing of the tubing on the motherboard itself. Since I don't need the fillports for this.

The amount of fittings just on the motherboard is crazy O.0

I absolutely love the dual levels of tubing. Two different platform crossing eachother.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

*cough* I still see a heatsink on the board.:lol:
    -Just teasin', man. That thing is epic.

12. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

13. AlienwareAndy

You haven't water cooled the battery :p

Only joking. Looks absolutely epic man :D

14. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

as per usual mate, your builds are supreme! looking amazing

15. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

What? A non-watercooled heatsink??? WHERE!?!?!?!

LOL xD

Thanks a lot Cheapskate.

Thanks James :thumb: you > :rock:

HA maybe I should :hehe:

Thanks for your comment Andy :thumb:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

More PIPEMANIA!!!!!!!!!

I bet if I painted them green I could make a Super Mario Bros level with it :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is it for the tubing on the motherboard itself. The following tubing I will need to fit the motherboard for and create the tubing loops to and from the top of the case.
    But I need those pesky fillports for that :(

For the smart people amongst us. Now the chipset and memory loop has not beginning or end I know :)
    I changed my mind halfway the tubing. The far left tiny piece of tube will be gone and those will be the in and out for that loop.
    Enjoy!

16. siliconfanatic

The mem... oh.:rolleyes:
    Great to see so much progress on this monster!

17. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

So cool. Gj mate. :)

But I need to ask-why did you closed the ram and chipset loop? As I can see, you dont have any inlets.

18. siliconfanatic

He noted that at the end of the update. The short section connecting the two memory clusters on the left will become the inlet/outlet.

I wonder if the cpu loop wil be changed. I can't help but be concerned about the temperature gradient that would come with cooling four of those bad boys in a row with no method of heat dissipation. Even a 120 radiator in the middle of the series would be something.

19. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Ah, that's what happend when I don't read the text. :wallbash:

20. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

personally i think a 90 degree connector instead of a bend would look much better. especially since the rest only uses straigh tubes.

really worthy of the title tubemania though.