1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Silen Flux

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Egami, 9 Sep 2013.

1. Asouter

Asouter --------

Congrats on the MOTM nomination, well deserved and good to see some progress.

2. Egami

Egami Why is the dremel on fire?

Craig, you fill my Sunday timeofday with optimism :)

Now that is something I would love to do. But I've looked everywhere and so far I've yet to find a place on this planet's internet that would offer that exact same mesh (as I will so not submit to using a different gauge mesh). Any chance you might be sitting on some?

Holes? Wut holes?

Thanks Asouter! It feels like I'm stuck on a never ending holding pattern... Like getting stuck in a telephone queue; no going forwards until something frees up but leaving isn't an option either :sigh:

3. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

No I am sitting on a leather chair. :rolleyes:

:idea: you have some extra mesh if you cut from the side panel. :D

4. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Just to buck the trend I like seeing the white behind the mesh. Enhances the transparency that way.

Great build with some lovely detailing, especially with the cabling. A well deserved motm nomination.

5. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Not nescessarily holes but small, black dots on a white background. The screws are just screwing with my OCD lol.

6. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Got my vote and interest as well :thumb:

Seeing as you're sponsored by my former employer (Jimm's), I recon that you are from Finland. Then there's the Intel NUC mod from Ace_finland, which is leading the motm poll at the moment, so two Finnish modders are competing with each other for the motm win. I bet this is the first time that has ever happened :hehe:

To explain the vote you got from me, The Microprocessor from Ace_finland is a gorgeous little case/project, but your style is just right up my alley and I thoroughly enjoyed the first three pages of your project log.

I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this.

Darkened

7. Egami

Mmmmm leather. Oh wait. Cancel that mental image.
    I would love to steal the mesh from the side panel but then I would have find mesh for the panel. Vexation maximus!

Thanks Boorah! I won’t disappoint!
    I kind of like the contrast as well for the upper part but with them minibahoogadoogas being as they are I’m struggling enjoying the view. If it was just clean seamless mesh, yes, I would leave things as they are but us not being privy to obtaining said arrangement it looks like it’s paint the windows black time. :worried:

After sending me frantically looking for holes that weren’t there, you deserve a little screwing!
    Don’t worry, I’ll make them disappear for the next shoot. Sniff.

You good Sir, recon correctly. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the log, after all we do aim to please.
    I too had a chuckle over the poll. It’s all good for the ickle scene. :thumb:

---

In other mod news, the fan has arrived and is being tested as we speak. Those blue leds mean business, I tell you! It’s like being invaded by an all powering blue hue. Can’t wait to turn them white. RAM has shipped as well so things are definitely starting to come together.
    Oh, and gents... don’t tell anyone but instead of an old gtx 570 it looks awfully lot like we might be going 700 gen nvidia sandwich... :eeek:

8. craig - toyoracer

So the mesh searching continues, but I thought you were going for a window. :confused:

9. Egami

I'm going for a mesh window similar to the one on front. That's why I cleaned up the side panel back in the day; the case will look nice and fully meshed from the outside but when peering through you'll be able to see the subtly lit loop inside. :)

10. Egami

This would be one of those moments where one would let out a slightly embarrassed chuckle and mumble "You know those moments where you forget something and..."
    My sin would be that I fooled around with the camera for some behind the scenes pics and then completely forgot about it.

Nuff said, the front cover panel testing escalated into a sleeve fitting attempt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The black sleeve is about kazillion times harder to take pictures of than the red ever was. It reflects light like nobody's business and in half of the pics the white sleeve looks a dirty shade of gray. Will have to come up with some serious tricks for the final pics to make it all look decent. :geek:
    Hmm, and it looks like the sata cables are in wrong order there as well. Must pay more attention in the future. But hey, the red pops like I had hoped for, and with the short gpu's the sata ports should be nicely visible as well.

In other news, the build has officially hit the stage where everything's done and in place and I'm just waiting for packages from Jimm's and EK to arrive.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2014
  11. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

12. craig - toyoracer

The change to black sleeve is wonderful. :thumb:

13. Egami

:dremel: :D

Glad you like it! There as the red was all shiny and happy, I think the black really fits the build’s overall theme better. :thumb:

---

But holy moose on fire - the package from Jimm’s arrived!!!

[​IMG]

I couldn’t wait for the sun to come up. Had to open the bugger there and then :eek:

[​IMG]

A pile of om nom nom. I can’t believe they all had tiny silica pouches with them!

[​IMG]

Well, that’s the first patch. I always thought I’d be using black fittings, until I realised I wasn’t.

[​IMG]

Hiding underneath the little ones was something a bit more sizeable.

[​IMG]

As you can see from the first picture, the cards will lose approximately 1/3 of their length once the stock cooler gets replaced with the EK block. That means we’re going to be having a seriously ickle gpu sandwich! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up: test fitting and related pictures as soon as the sun decides to peer through the mile thick cloud blanket. Fingers crossed for everything working as intended.
    I’m so excited now with them bits and bob materialising. A big thank you to Miska at Jimm’s for helping this project really clamber to the next level!

Thanks for watching!

14. keenan

keenan Minimodder

Egami, once again I have to congratulate you on your beautifull cables and photography!!

15. Egami

Thanks keenan! Not going to make any promises but there might just be some spot-the-voidable-warranties shots coming up in the near future :naughty: It's so stock right now that even my resident spider looks at me and goes "noob" :hehe:

Last edited: 14 Nov 2013
  16. Egami

So many beautiful warranties! But will we be able to void them all?

The motherboard back panel has finally been cut down to size, including allowances made for the fans’ leds’ on/off button and, of course, the top fans. The rest of the panels have started taking shape as well. The psu/gpu panel is actually all well and straight; its strange angle is purely the fault of the photographer noticing too late that the little temporary acrylic bits holding it in place had been less than perfectly placed... Well, at least I had the wisdom to remove the tape I had used to plan the lighting and plumbing insanity that the system will be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The i/o shield’s appearance has also been changed from the muddled greyish silver it used to be, to white. Out of a moment’s madness however, I left the shiny silvery metallic edges untouched. What do you think about the little detail? Yes? No? Maybe?

[​IMG]

Set completed. Much better.

[​IMG]

A view of the future gpu sandwich.

[​IMG]

Probably obvious to the Phantom owners; the frame below the mesh has changed colour from white to black. The top panel’s below mesh structures have also seen some black paint splashed around in an effort to make them vanish rather than glow like beacons through the mesh. And while I was it, the fans got little black vinyl stickers to cover the different sized logos and technical details originally adoring their centres.

[​IMG]

Finally a sneak peek at the world after dark…

[​IMG]

Thoughts? Questions? Give us a message! We take check, cheesecake and pink elephants.

Thanks for watching!

17. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

I'm loving this build Egami! Very nice!

18. keenan

keenan Minimodder

This is so super clean man!! Awesome..

The sad thing is that those GTX760's are sooo sexy with their stock coolers :jawdrop:

19. Asouter

Asouter --------

Have to agree, very nice Egami. The white is swallowing up everything and making it look very empty in that case, I like it a lot

20. Egami

Thanks Falqoon!

Thanks keenan! Sadly them boys don’t sound that sexy, whirring and churning like they were suffering from some sort of cyberflu... Hoping you’ll like them cover plated and under water :dremel:

Remember that long time ago in the intro, when I mentioned that there was a danger of the build turning into an umbrella corp like you’re-all-going-die-down-here laboratory... Well, it still might not. There’s a bunch of stuff (reservoir, plumbing, cables, the lumistripes) that still needs to go in but right now you’re totally right, it totally looks a bit… holocausty.
    Yet, at the same time I can’t help but chuckle at just how empty it does look. I mean… it’s an ordinary atx case. It should not be capable of looking that empty and spacious. So there as part of me goes heaven help me for creating a desert of eye watering white, another part feels quite proud for having created the said illusion of space in a case that normally gets stuffed to the brim.
    But yeah, I’m glad you like it Asouter! ...even if I’m having a hard time telling whether you consider the white swallowing (and there I thought it made everything look stark butt nekkid) everything a good or a bad element?