1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Every German car I've ever had/driven has been terrible (new and used) I currently have a civic 2.2 cdti and can safely say I would never buy another honda again! My 306 dTurbo and later HDi were the best cars we've ever had!

When you get down to it all the big players are sharing part bins (The majority of Nissan V6 engines are from renault iirc for example)

In the past German and Jap cars may have been better built/more reliable, things have changed.

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Don't even know where to start...

- trip to Barcelona
    - several shades and/or lamps for the new apartment
    - bookshelves, new desk, new desk chairs, ... for said apartment
    - two pairs of Nike's; one for me, one for the girl
    - books
    - CDs
    - vinyl
    - comics

Spent around 20k in the last two months, I guess. Well, new job will start on Nov 1. :thumb:

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

4. Malvolio

Malvolio .

[​IMG]
    Let's start at the beginning of the weekend, wherein I picked up $20 worth of wood on a bike. There is a story behind this, which goes something like the following:

Was at the wood store today, buying wood as you do, and gave my required measurements to the fellow helping me purchase said wood. "I need a piece of particle board measuring three by three foot; two pieces of two-by-four cut to three foot each; and two pieces of two-by-four cut to two foot, nine inches, please!" I said to the gentleman. What I thought were clear instructions were met with contention, with the employee stating rather brazenly that my measurements were wrong, calculated incorrectly, and then proceeded to advise me on the appropriate way we should go about measuring these lengths.

Keep in mind that at this time the other fellow had absolutely no idea what it was that I was building, nor even how the wood was going to lay.

Slightly baffled I once more stated the lengths I needed, adding in precisely how the object I was creating would be laid out. Once more I was offered "corrections" to my measurements. This went on for some time before a compromise was reached, which essentially boiled down to cutting the 3x3' square, two of the pieces of 2x4, then measuring the rest, as the fellow (the paid employee of the wood store) was absolutely sure of the width of a piece of 2x4, and that it was in-fact 2" on the nose. Clearly reality hasn't had a chance to catch up to this person.

Slowly the wood was cut, placed carefully together, and a measurement taken: 33". No words were needed, as just the look on his face said it all as he went off to cut the remaining wood I required.

Sometimes, customers do actually know what they're wanting, and their measurements are accurate. I hope this lesson has been well learned by this fellow, as it took quite a lot of patience to deal with him, and I don't know if a lesser person would've still been so willing to part with money after being so talked down to.

[​IMG]
    This is what the wood was for, a so-called "rock box", but I'm almost entirely certain that not a single person will know what the hell a rock box is, so here is a picture of the base of it along with the happy little fellow that'll be taking advantage of it.

A rock box is quite literally a box full of rocks, three foot square, set on gliding blocks to allow for movement around the room. Each 2x4 is attached to the base with three extra long wood screws, plus there are two screws at each junction between two 2x4s. All of this is done for strength, as there'll be several hundred pounds of rock in it. On the underside there are four self-adhesive gliding blocks to allow the entire unit to slide across the floor without damaging anything, even with tons of weight in it.

For the rocks I'm going to be laying down a base of small gravel (to give the rocks some traction and fill up small spaces), one large (15" or so tall) rock will go in the centre with as many small rocks (4-7" across) around the outside to build it up.

The idea behind all of this is to allow one to utilize a RC crawler indoors on simulated terrain while keeping the entire thing mobile and allowing infinite variations of the terrain therein. It's something I've been thinking about for some time now, but only just got around to doing.

[​IMG]
    Unfortunately one cannot just buy wood in small quantities, so I was forced into taking a load of scrap with me, which I turned into... this. Whatever it is. Before you ask: yes, those lower supports are speakers, which were used because I couldn't find any L-brackets.

[​IMG]
    The bike isn't new, but the motor certainly is! Lovely little thing it is, which I intend to use for longer journeys only (between cities and the like). Took it out for it's first test ride today and was well impressed. Click to see the outrageous cost of filling this thing up :p (full post with photo's and description on this will be in the bicycling thread soon)

[​IMG]
    Finally: the thrift store! Damn I love this place.

Left to right: possible Casy Jones from Mirage Studios Toys (2006); possible Spawn or Spiderman series figure which has a hair-clip like action to it (no identification on figure); Small Soldiers Archer figure with "Snapping Clawn" function - broken (1998); Davy Jones figure (no markings); Lord Of The Rings Gladriel Entranced figure (2005); a rubber elephant wearing a cape (came with other figures); Egon Spengler, missing something out of his back (1984); Winston Zeddemore and Meanie Weenie Ghost, missing accessories (1989); Peter Venkman - With Fright Features, missing accessories (1987).

Total (spent at thrift store): $20

Not a bad haul if you ask me!

Also got some Lego (a cheap "Constructor" set) and another 4" fig, but you lot wouldn't be interested in them.

5. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Bought myself a new multimeter to replace my previous el cheapo 5€ chinese knock-off.

[​IMG]

It ain't no Fluke, but feels pretty solid for the price and easily meets my requirements.

Also received my flashlight order from fasttech today, was pleasantly surprised by the build quality of the Convoy, easily matches my employer-issued Led Lenser V2 which sells for something like 4-5 times more.

6. Auxilliary

Auxilliary Crashes into space stations

[​IMG]

Just Received this today, for the best part of £50 they aren't actually too bad.

Microlab FC360 :thumb:

7. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

customs returned my e cigarette back to them :waah:

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

There is no substitute for a Fluke!

Which light did you buy? The Flashaholic in me is intrigued :D

9. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

How many miles did that give you?

10. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Odo says I've done just over 60km so far, and I'm almost half way through my first tank of petrol. Vibrates like nothing else at certain revs though, which causes certain... parts to go a bit numb.

11. SlowMotionSuicide

12. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

3GB EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked ACX arrivfes tomorrow. Will play with this until the dust has settled with the r9 290
    [​IMG]

and these which will also match the set up I have

LN51833
    Compare
    32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Pro Series Red, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V
    [​IMG]

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Seems like good value! What's the output like?

There are 400, 450 or even 500+ miles per week put on my 2010 Clio year-round and it's never given me trouble. It's kept well maintained and serviced every 12K, as it gets past the 4 year mark I will halve the service interval and am confident that it'll still not give me any mechanical bother past the usual wear and tear like suspension bushings, ball joints etc.

I love Japanese and German cars, but your statement is nonsense. People buy them because they are good value, many of them are fun to drive and they are economical to run.

14. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Why 32gb of RAM Kov? :D

15. SlowMotionSuicide

Being a complete flashlight noob, I don't really have much to compare to, nor do I (yet) have any equipment for measuring the output. It does completely blow my Led Lenser V2 out of the water, and it definitely has a serious wow-effect for a beginner.

Those things are seriously addicting, I see many a flashlight in my immediate future.

16. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

For zbrush and Photoshop bid

17. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

R9 cards aren't looking to be all that great, only reference coolers etc at the moment nothing really special is on it's way.

Seeing as the cards below are just rebrands I don't have high hopes for the top end card.

Oh and my keycaps arrived this morning. Just sat and fitted them all.

[​IMG]

WASD supplied them quite quickly. I ordered the 9/10th and they arrived this morning. Not bad for $60 or so inc delivery.

18. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

And RAM capacity willy-waving ;)

19. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Hell they going to look nice on my formula board though

20. josephlck

josephlck What's a Dremel?

The LG G2 and soon the CoolerMaster QuickFire TK. The lag on a wireless keyboard is finally starting to bug me in games and I thought I'd take the mechanical plunge!!