1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

1. Get girlfriend
    2. Motorboat to heart's content
    3. ????
    4. Profit!!!!

G0UDG likes this.
  2. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

What is £50 per go?

Did I miss something?

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry if this has already been posted.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Hoes and tricks.

5. Stanley Tweedle

Oculus consumer isn't even here yet and we're already seeing a whole bunch of new ways to use it. That shows Palmer is doing it right. When a whole industry springs up around a product that's not even consumer level then you know it's gonna be good.

I do miss hoes it must be said and I've missed so many tricks.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

An assumption of mine...of what it might cost to touch something real instead of "fondling" lara croft.

Me foreign, what is "motorboat":confused:

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

That is one of the things that is helping to make this as good as it seems to be.

I really do think that this is going to be a big success but, if it wasn't for the companies that are now getting involved with it to help make it more than just what it was intended for, then I don't think it would have turned out to be a big success in the same way.

The amount of things that you could use this for is just amazing, and I really cannot wait for the consumer version to be released because I will be buying one after seeing everything, that can be done with it.

8. Stanley Tweedle

Agree. It's a lot like the industry that sprang up around Microsoft Flight Simulator. Even now products are still being released for Simulator X.

Luckey has done very well in strategy. Getting the dev kit out to developers and making everything open and accessible and of course not restricting the dev kit to just professionals also a smart move. Apparently there are so many 3d apps out there already. I'd love to try the space walk sim. I think aside from games Oculus will be great for giving you much more realistic experiences of things you'd otherwise never get to do. I'd love a solar system sim based on the data we have from nasa on the various planets and moons.

We will experience some of that with the Take on mars sim when that arrives. Apparently it will support oculus and you'll be able to get a first eye view as the martian lander descends by parachute.

I agree though that the industry building up around it is pushing the product much further. It's like a snowball effect now.

Having said that though there's still a lot of ignorance out there from the gaming world about the Oculus HMD and the benefits it can bring. Many just dismiss it as a gimmick and others are curious but have inaccurate information.

One guy couldn't understand why the "double image" and he said if they can fix that it will be great. He hadn't tried the HMD but was reacting to videos on youtube where you see the image split for left/right eye. He didn't understand that it forms a single stereoscopic image when you're using it.

Also many just don't get how significantly different Oculus is to a conventional display. Having an image that nearly fills your peripheral view and gives a sense of scale for the 3d imagery is game-changing.

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

What would happen if you crossed Kinect with Rift?

10. Stanley Tweedle

I reckon that pairing could be pretty amazing.

I also have to post this link to Take On Mars early access given that it will be quite good with Oculus...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244030/

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I sooo want this setup

I didn't even know this Virtuix Omni existed until now.

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Saw that on a video that Linus and Slick did, and it does look very good and will be interesting to see the results of people who use it.

13. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

More here.

14. Stanley Tweedle

That Omni is actually starting to look like a good idea.

I had an idea recently too. Not practical for home use perhaps but would be amazing if someone created it. Basically instead of the floor walker... you have a harness suspended from above and it's counter-balanced or better still motorised. Basically the harness makes you weightless and it could be used for really fun FPS where you run around and make giant leaps around the maps. Perhaps UT2004 style maps.

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hell to the yes. This is a much better role for him IMHO. He hasn't made a genuinely fun and revolutionary game in years at iD, and I think he'll be much better suited at Oculus.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Augmented reality for the Oculus Rift

This looks so good/useful im surprised something like it isn't built into the Rift in the first place.

17. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

For anyone going Oculus Rift is going to be at Eurogamer in London next week.

So excited to try it out.

18. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I'M THERE. I go every year but rarely actually bother playing anything. Just go for the atmosphere. But IF Rift is there....

19. scooby

scooby Minimodder

I haven't posted in a long time but I think now would be cool. Got my Oculus in late January and I can tell you guys this thing is bad a$$!!!

Granted this is the Development Kit with a res of 1280x800 (640×800 per eye) it still delivers that sense of being fully immersed. The sense of scale is...WOW!!! I'm using an app called VIREio to get unsupported game to be played in the Rift, some work others need more work to work with the Rift. I'm waiting on VorpX (does the same as VIREio) to release their demo before I buy it. I can tell you one thing for sure games made for the Oculus Rift really are the bomb. So far my favs are Titans of Space, Tornado Rollercoaster and Spaceshot Freefall.

If you guy ever get the opportunity you have to try it for your self. What you see on YouTube and what you may have read about it can't compare to having it stuck on your face. I too can't wait for the consumer version to come out and from some info I gathered we might be looking at around end of the year or very early next year. I'll pray with all of you that this will happen.

Scooby;)

20. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Nice to hear from an actual owner! I think we are all waiting for Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous, which are both confirmed to support the Rift.

Last I heard though the consumer version won't be released until Q3/Q4 2014