1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia GTX 780 Ti announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 18 Oct 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I guess this is no surprise as a release and definitely no surprise as a chassis, but I for one didn't see it coming...

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Can I just say wtf?

You can clock a 780 past a Titan, and superclocked variants offer more performance than that WITH a warranty, but they're going to release a card that sits between the two?

Stop pissing around and just drop the price of the 780, ffs.

4. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Sigh.

I benchmark, therefore I am.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The only point in this card is as a marketing middle finger to amd. My guess is that it will be a titan with only 3gb of vram.

6. OrangeClockwerk

OrangeClockwerk Clockwerk Industries

Cannot begin to explain my level of disappointment. I am waiting for them to say its a joke and then pull out the 790gtx.

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

You know what nVidia do this all the time and we fall it or some people do. Yes we all know there is loads of green fans out there. But they do take the Mickey.

The freggin worse thing is I have just bought a780 that beats the titan in most games and then this comes out

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I don't understand people complaining about this. It is a headline and attention grabber for the media to compete with AMD and keep nVidia in the minds of customers when they buy a GPU... or two.
    If you have bought a high end GPU recently what is your problem with this card? I assume you were happy with your purchase before this announcement so what has changed? Just the fact that you no longer have the top dog GPU any more?

9. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Since when does overclocking a card using software void the warranty? :confused:

AMD are going to release a couple of cards that sit between the GTX780 and Titan, hardly a surprise that nVidia are going to counter that move by doing the same. I'll be honest, I'm not in the least bit shocked by this and it matters little.

Price drops if they appear will arrive after the 290 and 290X. Ultimately though, they are all top end cards and I don't think people will like the small amounts they are likely to be dropped by if they do drop at all. For the average consumer the top end stuff will just be shiny eye candy, not something they'll actually purchase. So prices can remain high and not really matter to 98% of AMDs and nVidias consumers. I'm not saying it is right of course but it is just the way it is.

My sentiments exactly!

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I was thinking more about voltage adjustments, but my point was the superclocks offer guaranteed overclocks.

11. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Interested in seeing how much of an impact Mantle makes. If it really is that huge, then I can't see myself going nvidia next time around.

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Still waiting for Maxwell myself, since my sli'd 680's are doing just fine at the moment.

Sure a 780 or 780ti will be a nice performance improvement but really I don't think the cost would be worth it, since I would need 2 card's and that is instantly around £1k.

I am more interested in this new Gsync, but will have to see how much the manufacturers of monitors drive the prices up.

13. IT Troll

IT Troll What's a Dremel?

Why can't I pre-order this now? It doesn't matter what the specs are or how much it costs, AMD have shown us the way it is meant to be payed.

14. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Lol, perfect username as well.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well seeing as NVAPI has been going since 2008 with next to no interest i cant see Mantel doing any better, but maybe as AMD have the advantage of being in most next gen consoles it will gain more traction.

What we need is someone to knock the manufactures heads together.
    Instead they keep coming up with proprietary system that split consumers and developers, while this may make good business sense for them its holding back the wide spread adoption of some very good innovations.

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It'll probably be a 780, lightly overclocked, but with the 6GB VRAM of a Titan. There's not really any other options!

17. IT Troll

IT Troll What's a Dremel?

I think it will be closer to the Quadro K6000 which has 2880 cores @ 902 MHz to deliver 5.2 TFLOPS. Surely Nvidia will want to match/beat the 290X in the numbers game?

18. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

They' ll more likely than not stay on top with the numbers part via either the titan ultra or the gtx 790... No doubt, they'll be priced at insanely high proportions...

19. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

I don't care. Got 770 just now, good enough for my 1080p monitor and TV.

20. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Mantle is 90% marketing, 10% product. It'll exist for the odd game AMD pays for and that's it. No dev is going to spend extra time/money to speed up a game for 10% of it's potential customers, who would probably buy the game or not anyway irrespective of mantle. The benefit for the dev just isn't there.

The 780Ti isn't that exciting either imo - it'll just be slightly faster and slightly more expensive then the 290X to make sure nvidia keeps the single gpu crown. It's all much of the same till 20nm chips appear.

Tags: Add Tags