1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Minecraft; Official Bit-tech server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stickeh, 6 Oct 2010.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Stickeh will have to do this as it's his post. Or a moderator.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Anyone need a "diamond" sword?

3. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Setting up a hopper system for my grinder has proved to be a smart move. :D

4. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

The next thing they need to implement is smelting, so you can get some gold out of all the armor and iron from the tools from mob drops :).

5. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

+1

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

6. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Been trying to find a new chunk of land and a SWAMP biom for Witches but after treveling 7000m and only finding water I got bored.

Will try again at the weekend.

7. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Died today while I was AFK making a coffee not sure how forgot to check the chat logs :(, the list of things I lost is too depressing to note time for a break from MC.

8. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

A little bit delayed but I have updated the first post :)

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Heh, it's time for me to get back into Minecraft! I've been away too long; XCOM, Rocksmith and Skyrim have been eating up all my "me time"! :)

10. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I did have a break for the BF4 Beta but now, MC is addictive.

11. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

OK I've caved in already I'm back :)

I have a new suite of enchanted diamond armor & some new picks and bows which also go lost
    I was not aware you could get 4 enchantments on a BOW either till I just got a BOW with
    Infinity 1, Flame 1, Punch II, Power 4 :) Proper chuffed with that.
    As well as my Diamond sword Smite 4, Knockback 2, Looting 2, Fire aspect 2

I've nearly used a whole stack of diamonds now enchanting tools and armor to get what I had lost.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm going to post a separate thread about this soon anyway, but this seems like the most appropriate place for now.

Early in December I'm planning a 48-hour Minecraft Marathon in order to raise money for Child's Play. I, and hopefully some volunteers I'm trying to round up, will be live-streaming Minecraft over two separate 24-hour sessions. I'd considered doing one single 48-hour sitting, but... I want a challenge, but I'm not stupid! ;)

I'm working on a site, donation widgets, press releases, etc, at the moment but I'm after a bit of advice. I want to build "something" as a goal, but I really can't think of anything I want to build. So far my options have come down to a historic building of some kind or perhaps a PvP village/town style map.

Anyone got any ideas? It should be something pretty grand and impressive...

13. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Sounds like a fun plan, are you going to be doing your marathon as a closed group on a private server or will it be limited public access so people can drop in, explore the creation and chat with you and the others?

As for what to build, the most important thing is that you make it something that you and the others have an interest in. Otherwise there's the high risk of the team getting bored part of the way through and wanting to go off to build something else.

Ideas:
    One possible massive project that you could take on if you're up to it and have a good enough sized team would be to build a model of the world map, but on each major land mass you could attempt to recreate a significant historical monument.

Or if you want something gaming related, how about recreating the underground Umbrella complex from Resident Evil with the mansion above the ground as a point of access.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I knew it'd be a good idea to get feedback in here :)

That's a good idea, opening it up should be no problem. I've got some experience in admin'ing minecraft servers, so this should be quite easy with permissions plugins.

For the most part it will probably just be me. I've got a few volunteers who can drop in for a few hours at a time, but nobody has confirmed anything definite yet (it's still over a month away so I haven't asked them to confirm yet, but I will be soon). So it's really pretty open at this stage, but I want to have a few options that I can start researching.

I like the idea of doing the Umbrella mansion & complex, that's a really good idea :). It has been done before, but this is definitely going on the shortlist :).

15. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Would this be done at the weekend? I would love to drop by for as many hours as I can to help out :).

I like the idea of the PVP map been watching a few videos on the hungergames style maps and that looks cool although I don't think it would be a big enough project to take up 48hours of play time.

16. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'd be up for dropping in to join you for a bit.

You could possibly do an interactive marathon to involve the audience by having viewers creating an adventure for you; you have people in a text feed putting forward ideas of where you should go or what you should build next so you and anyone playing alongside you end up going on a mystery adventure.

Or expanding on the Hunger Games idea that M_D_K put, you could create a sort of massive arena with various challenges and games (with a bit of murderous combat of course) and anyone dropping in can do a timed run.

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I plan to hold this from 8pm Thursday 5th December to 8pm Friday 6th, and 8pm Saturday 7th to 8pm Sunday 8th (times are GMT, btw). While I'm sure I could manage to stay up for 2 days straight, I doubt that I'd very functional after a day or so - hence the long sleep break in the middle! :)

I've asked "IRL" friends if they want to volunteer at all, but of course I'm more than happy to throw it open to bit-tech MC'ers. I don't even have a site set up yet, so I've got plenty of work still to do!

To be honest I don't know how many people will actually watch the stream, so I don't know how well an audience participation thing would work. I was planning to just release the map for free once I'm finished. Not dismissing the idea entirely, all suggestions are welcome :).

18. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

On a side note where has the server gone ? is it being updated ?

19. Xtreme_Machine

Xtreme_Machine Survivalist

It's still up albeit at 1.6.4. I just checked and there is no 1.7.2 build yet :(

You have the new ip right (84.39.26.40) ?

Will let you know when it's upgraded!

Edit:

Just updated to the latest build available. I think this is the first recommended build I've used (ever) :p Also raised the heap-size from 3 to 4 GB. Not sure if needed, but i have the resources anyway. Also a bit in prep of 1.7.2 which would mean a new world I think?

P.S. Sorry for my lack of activity lately. Work has been a nightmare last couple of weeks. When i get home all i want to do is watch a little tv and go to bed. Will get better soon, i promise :)

Last edited: 26 Oct 2013
  20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

To save derailing this already epic thread, I've set up a whole new thread for my charity live stream - head on over if you're interested :).