1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 or 8.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by MightyBenihana, 21 Oct 2013.

?

Win 7 or 8.1 for a new build

Poll closed 31 Oct 2013.
  1. Windows 7

27 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Windows 8.1

27 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

My friend is putting together a new mITX system and he has asked me this.

"If you were buying windows today, would you get windows 7 or 8.1".

I have Windows 7 and I am very happy with it but I have zero experience of 8.1.

So, what would you do?

2. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

There's already the marmite thread (and poll) where people have been arguing over 7 vs 8 for a long time, you may want to go there and have a read if you haven't already, but you'll find opinion is divided.

There's also this thread discussing 8.1

Personally I use 7 Pro on my own PC. I have only worked with 8 briefly on a laptop for my landlord but the experience was far from positive. I won't go into a rant about everything I think's wrong with it because there's enough of that in the marmite thread, but suffice to say I really don't like it and would personally buy 7.

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

There's nothing wrong with win 8.1 just means you have to find your way around a different lay out but tbh I still prefer win 7

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I currently use 7, but I'll be making the switch to 8.1 tomorrow if everything goes to plan. Thought why not since I'm installing from scratch in any case, worst comes to worst and I don't like it? Wipe and install W7 :p

5. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I read both threads but it was more about details rather than overall experience for the average user, so I started my own poll. Sorry if this crosses over into the other though.

6. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

I use 7, no doubt about it.. I'm more comfortable using it actually..

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Win 8.1.
    Takes on average about a month of getting used to and learning Windows 8 new layout. And now with tutorial app including in 8.1, I think this will drop to 2-3 weeks depending on you.

Once you pass over it, you'll prefer it.
    You get to directly jump to your game, as you can pin them and you can any folder you want, it makes using the experience faster and better.
    And not to mention the long list of Windows 8.x improvements and new feature throughout the OS.

It's a great OS, and if you want to be like people that went "long live XP" with Vista and most of the life of 7, well, you'll be left in the dust, forced to be switched, and you'll will be behind.

Microsoft wont' magically drop everything and return. Desktop's are no longer meaningful. They are shrinking at rapid rate, desktop will only be used for heavy gamers, workstation, and mini servers... That is not a big market. Microsoft will die if they go that path.

Look how the original UNIX design is not even relevant today... why? because they insisted in 1 computer and you have multiple terminal. Market changes, you need to adapt. No one wants to be a BlackBerry now.

8. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Everyone I know personally who's used 8 for any length of time doesn't like it, but from what I've seen online I think they may now be in the minority.

For me I just don't like metro at all, I hate the way it looks and I hate the way it works. I don't want an OS on a desktop PC that's designed for a touch screen, or one that looks like it was designed by Fisher Price. I don't like the borderless windows or the flat, minimalist, modern visual style. I don't like the fact that many things now necessitate more clicks and more mouse movement than they did before. I don't like the fact that if you prefer the traditional desktop experience you can't really have it, because metro never really goes away. I find the constant jumping between metro and desktop jarring and irritating.

It's not a matter of clinging to the past or fearing change (although I do do both) but rather that for me the interface changes don't improve the experience, they worsen it. I've seen many people say we should just embrace these changes and learn to live with them, but I why should I do that when I don't like them and I was happy with the way things were? As a consumer I vote with my wallet and I will not buy a product I don't like. If that means sticking with an older OS so be it.

While I'm sure there are some objective improvements with 8, they are ultimately irrelevant to me because they're outweighed by my dislike for most of the UI changes.

I'm yet to use 8.1 so can't give an opinion on it yet, however from what I've heard it doesn't sound like it's going to alter my opinion.

You can't speak for everyone dude, many people will not prefer it, and for valid reasons.

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i'm the other way, people I know who have used it properly for a length of time, like it

10. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Yeah, people seem to take extreme views one way or the other, I've not come across many people who are indifferent.

11. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

If 7 does everything you need it to do. Then get 7. If it doesn't ask yourself if win 8 will.

7 Will be around for a very long time yet and its a solid OS still. For me Win 8 isn't a big enough leap for me to want to upgrade.

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

If your friend is building a new system and he intends to purchase new OS to go with it, he might as well go with 8.1. It does everything 7 can do, and in some areas it runs more efficiently.

If he already has 7 and is questioning whether or not to upgrade to 8 or 8.1, then every argument has already been played out ad nauseum in the marmite thread.

13. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

I suggest 8.1. There's no avoiding the new interface moving forward. MS aren't going to backpedal on it, so might as well get used to it.

14. coyi64

coyi64 Guest

By having Secure Boot, the gap is bridged when we boot up. That is one glaring flaw with Windows 7, because security starts when we log in but not booting up from the beginning. However, I can't use Acronis Try&Decide anymore, a sacrifice for me.

15. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

Really? The constant jumping?
    As with Windows 7 before, I rarely use the start menu. Pin to taskbar is a great feature of 7 & 8.
    There's more to Windows 8 than Modern UI. 8.1 has made it easier to avoid if you don't like it (boot to desktop, disable charms etc). Day to day it's like using an improved Windows 7.

It's odd that people get so cross about the Modern UI stuff. I don't like the full screen apps on a big screen so I don't use them.

As for your friend; I imagine he'd be happy with either OS. Toss a coin.

16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If you had 8.1 + Start8 I'd have chosen that option.

17. hendricksjana

hendricksjana What's a Dremel?

I am now very comfortable with Win7, and I am not really feeling that Win8.1 is really offering me anything that I really need, so I will sick with Win7 for now.

18. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

With 8.1 coming out I finally started using the Windows 8 Pro license I had since release. Within about 5 minutes I had my 8.1 install boiled down to an improved Windows 7 with an orgasmic Task Manager.

I only ever see the start screen when doing a search, which is the only thing I used the win7 start menu for anyways. I see absolutely no need to install a start replacer, let alone pay for one.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Surprised no one has asked what he is going to be using the mITX system for, Gaming, HTPC, Office type work, etc, etc. As much as some people espouse the virtues of 7 over 8.1 or visa verse IMHO the use of the system could influence the decision of what OS maybe be more suited to his needs.

20. law99

law99 Custom User Title

is 8.1 out now? I'm behind the times. Is it what was known as Blue?