1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays What's best - TV or PC monitor for PS3/PS4?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chewbaccas_nan, 22 Oct 2013.

1. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

I will be sitting quite close, as it will be on my desk next to my iMac, which is 27", so it can only be around the same size to fit on the desk. I would also like to hook up my Logitech 5.1 speakers to it, If I did go for a monitor.

My budget would be probably ~£170ish?

Cheers

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

defo a monitor if you have external sound

you arent going to get a great TV for £170 but a decent monitor can be had for that

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Like a used 23" Dell Ultrasharp.

NR-git Ü2312hm

To bad your mac will not allow you to use it as an external monitor.

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Why not?

5. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

What connections do your speakers have? Generally monitors look better but i have noticed that video content looks better on my TV.

If it was me, I'd go for an IPS based TV. They generally have better connectivity for both sound and video and for some reason video looks better on my Samsung TV than my dell 2412

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Games consoles look best on TVs

7. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I use my PS3/360 on my U27 and it's great I now find I can't use a TV as it looks a bit weird. Horses for courses and all that....

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Suppose it depends on your TV as I have a PS3 on my U27 and one downstairs which I flit between on a regular basis, or when the missus lets me use the big screen that is :) , on my Samsung ES7000 TV, PS3/360 is far superior on it IMO, despite being twice the size the image looks less blocky and the colours and contrast are great whilst perhaps a bit ampped up, downstairs makes games look awesome, U27 can look a little flat after. I don't sit at the same distance though to be honest, might be a contributor to why it looks so good.

I have a couple of LG 27" TVs also, I will try one of those in place of the Dell from same distance and see what its like, It could very much depend on quality of the tv and its scaler, the scaler on the Samsung is great.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2013
  9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Err, what? I had a Dell plugged in to a Mac for years. Display standards are standards for a reason y'know.

I prefer consoles on a TV...but I couldn't tell you why.

10. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Yeah that's true but I also feel it's a preference thing too.

I have a Samsung LED and a LG plasma in the house that I find are both awesome for films and general TV but for some reason when I plug either console into them they just feel a bit flat even after tweaking settings :(

My U27 is on the wall, I sit in the comfy desk chair about 5-6 foot from the screen and can happily game for hours.

11. jinq-sea

Me too. I continue to do so. I really didn't understand his most unhelpful (and vague) comment!

12. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Yes you are not considering the OP question. It's not that you can attach a mac to any monitor. He is looking to use a monitor for his PS3 and as far as I am aware iMACs do not have signal inputs to use them as an external monitor. THerefore its too bad he can not use his iMAC as a monitor for his PS3.

13. jinq-sea

The context of your comment made it quite ambiguous - but I agree. It is a shame that the iMac won't function as a display for external devices - it would make for a nice neat setup.

In the run of your post, it appeared that you were suggesting that the Dell display wouldn't work as an external display for the iMac.

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Actually they can, depending on the age of the iMac. If it's one of the aluminium unibody designs, with MiniDisplayPort (2010-2012), you can purchase an adapter that will allow a 720p input from a console, or just connect up any full-resolution 2560x1440 MDP source. If it has Thunderbolt (Late 2012 onwards), you can use them as external displays for any computer with Thunderbolt at 2560x1440.

I frequently plug my MacBook Pro in to iMacs to use them as external screens.

15. jinq-sea

Well I never - that's a great feature (and one I'm ashamed to admit that I was unaware of).

16. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

Mine is the 'fatter' bodied designs, which can have 2 hard drives, before they brought out the new slimline versions.

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Okay, slightly promising. Do you have Thunderbolt or MiniDisplayPort?