1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple iPad Air and new Retina iPad mini unveiled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 22 Oct 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

For ultrabooks of comparable build quality and specs Apple actually offers very competitive pricing. Most of the £600-£800 ultrabooks are not worthy of the name (plastic build, thick, slow processors, poor battery life, etc).

2. rollo

rollo Modder

You brought one even does not really say its overpriced or you would of brought a cheaper competitor product if there was one. Why would you buy something you hate would be another question.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

For me, it was a toss-up between the Air and the Sony Vaio Pro, which is: thinner, lighter, more powerful, comes with a free 18-hour sheet battery(!), has a longer default battery life, Full HD touch-screen, NFC receiver built into the trackpad, and has a three-year warranty to Apple's one-year. For pretty much the same price. In retrospect, I should have bought that and stuck Linux on it. Ah, well, you live and learn!
    Sorry, I'm afraid I didn't understand that.
    I didn't know I was going to hate it when I bought it, obviously, or I would have bought something else.

4. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

You DO realise you can install Windows on the thing right? Or Linux... And I'm not talking about bootcamp, just wipe the entire OS and put what you want on it.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Actually, you can't. Well, you can install Windows, but I hate that even more than I hate OS X. As for Linux, the kernel modules for the 2013 MacBook Air aren't finished: even if you get it on through rEFInd, you'll have no usable wireless, the fan will constantly run, and the speakers won't work, among other issues.

Believe me, though: once Linux has full support for the 2013 model Air, OS X is going bye-bye.

6. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

7. Gareth Halfacree

I don't think there's anything in that review I couldn't live with - especially when compared with the aforementioned advantages the device brings over the Air. Hell, just having a more sensible keyboard layout would likely be worth the trade-offs.

And to be rid of OS X. Bliss. Do you know how you take a screenshot of the currently active window on Windows and place it on the clipboard? Hold Control and press Print Screen. Do you know how you take a screenshot of the currently active window on Linux and place it on the clipboard? Hold Control and press Print Screen, then choose 'Copy to Clipboard' (or 'Save As' if you want to save directly to a file instead). Do you know how you take a screenshot of the currently active window on OS X and place it on the clipboard? Hold Control, Command, Shift, then press 4, then let go of all keys, then press the spacebar, then click on the window. Amaze!

8. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

I'm often surprised how people confuse invent and innovate. As far as I'm aware, Apple generally claim to do the latter.

9. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

It hasn't changed, hence the same name.

10. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

In apples defence they don't have to change a lot, seeing as its on the 5th generation now, and the 2520 runs RT which is a pointless OS that really doesn't cut it against android or ios.

With regards to the vaio pro, there are hundreds of users on the forums complaining about wifi signal and it has been mentioned by many reviewers as well. Also, I had a play with one the other day and it feels like its made out of paper its so flimsy. If I was so anti apple but still wanted an Air clone I would probably go with the acer aspire s7, but that costs the same if not more than the air and still not the same battery life with a pretty horrible keyboard compared to the air.

I think I'm probably going to end up with the new 13" rMB purely because most laptops now that are as thin and light as it cost the same anyway (I get 10-15% student discount), and it also has higher powered processors than most ultrabooks. Plus that display is awesome :D

11. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I'd have to disagree with the RT "pointless OS" comment. If you have used it regularly, you will see that it functions perfectly well. People still go on about the MYTH of the lack of Apps. Again, that just isn't the case and with Nokia producing their own quality apps, it only gets better. Would you like 400,000 apps and have to sift through the crap to try and find a decent one or would you like 50,000 quality apps? If you like to sift through crap, iOS and Droid is your obvious choice of OS.

There's more internet buzz about the Nokia tablet than the new ?th edition of the iPad, that's pretty much a big industry statement.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Citation requested. According to Twitter's trending topics, the most talked about topic on the site at the moment is the iPad Air; Nokia doesn't even appear on the list. My RSS feeds are filled with sites talking about Apple's announcements, too, with only a very few discussing Nokia - and those that do using a single story to cover all Nokia's announcements, compared to splitting Apple's news across up to a dozen (no, seriously, SEO-a-go-go!) different stories.

Same goes for Google Trends: Apple is number one, Nokia doesn't list. Same story in the UK, where Apple lists twice (once as Apple, once as Apple Store.)

Last edited: 23 Oct 2013
  13. Snips

As of now, yes those trends are correct (No Bing data though I see o.0) Last night was a little different and I've also been away from my desk most of the day but before I left I read this:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24636132

Which was the tone of quite a few other editorials I read last night.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Not according to historical data from Google, it wasn't. As for Bing: you tell me how to pull historical trend data from Bing the same way I do from Google and I'll gladly include that too.

15. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Windows RT has nowhere near the same quality of apps as ios, sure there's lots of rubbish but its the same with the app store on RT anyway. When a developer decided to make an app, its nearly always released on either ios or android first. Its the same price as an iPad and RT is just as locked down as ios anyway.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Just look at this forum the Nokia post has 3 reply, this one is into 2 pages already.

Surface rt was a sales failure, what makes Nokia think there version will be anything but. The original rt cost Microsoft about $1bil in write downs.

Apple shares went up post announcement by about $23 give or take, Nokia shares went up by 10 cent.

17. Snips

I couldn't tell you what goggle did last night as I don't use it but I'll gladly take your word for it. All I'm saying was all I read last night were glowing reports about the Nokia announcement and a shrug of the shoulders for the Apple one.

@ fdnf96 as I said, you obviously like to sift through the crap, it's your choice

@ rollo There's not much negativity on these 2 pages though is there????????

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'm not entirely sure that I agree. There are some really polished apps on RT (News Bento, YouTubeRT, Weave, Qool, Tweetro+, MetroTube) and more coming (Flipboard, yay!) --and they have live tiles, which is a nice edge.

With a few lines of code in the page header, websites can embed RSS feeds into the bookmarked tile on the Start Screen (so you automatically have a dynamically updating bookmark). Test drive some here: http://pinnedsitedemo.cloudapp.net/testdrive/index.aspx

Basically, RT has potential. iOS feels like it has gone as far as it can.

Actually Apple's shares pretty much didn't budge: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/10/23/tech-stocks-apple/3168975/

19. rollo

rollo Modder

people are talking about it wether positive or negative, nobody is even discussing nokias tablet. All publicity is good publicity in most cases.s

20. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I don't get your point about sifting through rubbish, if I search for an app in the microsoft store, I get a bunch of rip off clones that usually don't work, whereas I get the real deal in the ios store.

I'm not saying RT will never be good, just that at the moment there really isn't a lot to choose the ipad air over the nokia, and I'm pretty sure sales will tell the same story.

If for example it included a x86 processor as many cheaper win8 tablets include then they could be onto a winner.

Tags: Add Tags