1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD R290X GPU - Titan Killer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 23 Sep 2013.

1. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Because pepper, that's why! :p

2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Yup, this.

It's going to be £650. When Gibbo posts and says "It'll be anything from £500 to £650" what he's really saying is "It'll be £650". It's a sales technique called preparing them for the worst.

I won't be buying any GPUs for a long time. It's still at the point where you can SLI two cards for around £400-£500 that will beat this new wave of stupid cards.

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Few of the 280X are up on Scan and OCUK and in stock already.

Eyeing up the Sapphire Toxic and Sapphire Vapor-X at the moment.

4. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

NDA lifts tomorrow at 12am EDT.

Time to get hype?

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

290X has been priced. Looking to be around £500 from what I have been told.

Definitely interested. Just down to drivers etc

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

6. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Well overclockers are selling for around the £450 mark and the reviews are up.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Wow - at 95ºC I won't be putting this anywhere near my rig... I get a little uncomfortable when my 680s peak at 80ºC but 95ºC is ridiculous! Good price and I hope this causes the nvidia cards to come down in price :)

8. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

So many conflicting reviews... starting to wonder who has been coerced into giving good scores. Doesnt seem to be the killer GPU we have been promised. Feel a little better about buying a gtx 780 now. I just find it very telling that Nvidia already had a 290x beater waiting on the sidelines...

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so many great reviews - seems the low scoring ones might have been pressured to be negative! runs cooler and less power than the monster that was the GTX 480!

10. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

Soooo, who's buying one? :) ref coolers looks a bit rubbish

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

So? The 480 launched over three years ago. Why are you comparing a brand new card to something that old? The 290X is the hottest GPU on the market, by far. Its direct competitor, the GTX 780, runs a whole 11 degrees cooler under full load according to Bit-Tech's review, and even a dual GPU GTX 690 is 7 degrees cooler. It also gobbles 423W of power, compared to the 780's 344. Sorry, but you can't spin that as a positive.

AMD have taken the same tack as they have with CPUs - they don't have an architecture that can compete with efficiency, so they simply throw faster clocks and more cores at the problem. This results in decent performance, at the expense of heat and power.

EDIT: Apparently the 480 used 450W of power and 95 degrees C under load. So not much difference.

Therefore, in payback for all the snarky 480 comments that lasted for months and months and months and months, I hereby present the latest addition to the Russian space fleet!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Oct 2013
  12. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

hahahahah

In my opinion AMD's days were numbered until they got the console deals... Im not an intel/Nvidia fanboy. AMD have not released anything since the Athlon 64 that I have been excited about...

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Just had a quick look at a couple of reviews, got the performance which is good, but would have been nice to see a custom fan profile to see the noise/temperature trade-off. (since the standard one is crazy :p)

14. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

i'm very curious how it will perform watercooled, EK already has blocks available

as-is, it's not worth buying one with a reference cooler imo. performance is there, it just runs way too loud

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Cei post is lol at picture. Very true though. Wonder if anyone is actually buying one on here who will give us a user review. Harle seems to love it so maybe he getting one would really like to see its performance in a case as personally think it would have issues.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Little bit too hot for me! I remember the heat my SLI 480s used to kick out, and I would prefer not to return to those days.

17. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

18. AlienwareAndy

I'm all for this card tbh. I haven't (and wouldn't) buy one as my 7970 at launch (stock card) at 1ghz was too hot and too loud. I absolutely freckin' abhor the sound of blower coolers at full pelt, and you need them at full pelt. Inside the cooler looks the same as the 7970 which maybe was done to bring costs down? I don't know.

But look, let's not tarnish what AMD have done here. £450 for a card that performs like this is just epic. £450 was pretty much 7970 and 580 launch prices.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Had a similar problem with sli 480s myself ( during summer this problem became alot worse as the fans even at 100% could not keep the cards sub 95c), Dout I could live with the noise or heat they produce in CFX under air (68db acording to anandtech review), Def a water cooling job if you head that way.

Wonder what sort of Rads you need to keep the temps down though. Would 1 big 480 rad be enough I wonder or would you need to split the loop to get it into respectable levels.

Not buying another gpu pre maxwell anyway would be nice to see a price war before that cheaper gpus would never go a miss.

20. AlienwareAndy

TBH mate I don't think this is going to be any harder to tame than the 7970. I ordered one right at launch for £439. XFX, stock cooler derped bios. I did get 1050mhz out of it on the derped voltage and it was very fast, but god damn was it hot. In Alan Wake I recorded temps of 88c with the fan on 100%.

Looking at the 290x? the vapor chamber looks absolutely identical to the one on the 7970. There's no doubt in my mind that this has been done to keep price down, and, once it's removed it will free the GPU much more than now.

I don't get why they used the same cooler inside as the 7970 when they did such an amazing job on the 7990 (official). It just doesn't make any sense, unless it was to save money (use an existing design but change the outer shroud).

Mind you I'm still not going to let it tarnish what AMD have done here. If this brings 780s down to £400 then how can you complain?

The third party coolers should be the seasoning this card needs. Can't wait for the Lightning version (drool).